3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (6.7L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 6.7L ONLY!

Cooling system issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 11:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cooling system issues

Ok here it goes boys, started few weeks ago, heat would come and go, figured i should check it out.

Found coolant bottle right full and level in rad was over a gallon low, topped up levels and away i went, all was ok for about a week then the check gauges light comes on as its over heating, same deal coolant bottle full rad low , this time found all my missing coolant blown all over the engine bay and ground...

So i started into diagnostic mode, drop coolant and pressure test all good holds 16psi, check t-stat, replace anyway, new rad cap, check oil for contaminates all good, fill system with coolant manually and bleed out bubbles all seems good ,
first test drive same thing happens again, blows all the coolant out the overflow, only this time i can see air bubbling in the coolant bottle at idle, so i suspect an air lock, got to shop and drained coolant again, used air lift vacuum system to fill system held 27hg vaccume for over an hour...

Filled system and all seems fine heat is back nice and hot runs normal operating temp but coolant bottle was right full, rad was low, and i can still see bubbles happening in the coolant bottle.... so i topped up the rad and here i sit wondering what the HECK is happening... crossing fingers and waiting on the cummins gods to bless my truck lol .... i dont even want to entertain the head gasket as the failure so bring me fresh ideas..... thank you all in advance!! ps this is the first truck ive owned that i HAVNT beat the crap out of !!!!!!! maybe its Karma
Old 11-05-2010, 12:53 PM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
bubbles in radiator usually = headgaskets. have seem them pass a psi test yet when running it peels the gaskets back just enough to blow bubbles.
Old 11-06-2010, 06:02 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I was thinking about your problem. If it is not a head gasket problem, then it may be a hole in the coolant bottle hose. Also clamp each end of the hose. During normal operation of the truck, some coolant is pushed out of the system and sucked back in as needed. If the hose is not tight and leak free. it is possible that air is being sucked in to the radiator. Another idea is that the water pump seal may be leaking air into the system. I have seen this happen on building system pumps, don't know if it is possible on a CTD.
Old 11-07-2010, 12:28 PM

thanks for your thought fellas

ive also been told by a diesel tech here at my end, that i should consider re-torque on the head studs, that he has cured a few problems like this just by doing a retorque when the engine is warm... any thoughts ??

as of now the nothing has changed i would really like to prove its is the head gasket before i proceed to tear down and find the problem persists after im all back together...
Old 11-07-2010, 07:41 PM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
I would think a retorque would be a temp fix.

But Im no expert.
Old 11-07-2010, 11:43 PM

Westspeed;
There's a kit that you can buy for cars to check for Carbon Monoxide in your overflow tank. I'm wondering if there isn't one for Diesels or maybe you could have your local Garage check it for you. If there's CO collecting in the tank you have a head gasket leak.
Dana
Old 11-08-2010, 10:13 AM

Sounds like the head gasket... If thats the case I seriously doubt a re torque will do any good for you. If it does it will only be temporary like stated above.

Trending Topics

Old 11-09-2010, 08:13 PM

well its looking more and more like its time to do some upgrades... thinkin head studs for sure, any other ideas ?

Im just about sure its the head gasket even though its not giving all the normal signs ,

Has anyone heard of any circulation pump problems thats the last thing i havnt checked ??
Old 11-10-2010, 07:30 AM

Heater not working and pushing coolant into the resivore are signs of a blown head gasket.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:52 AM

My truck was blowing radiator fluid down the passenger engine side and under the hood. Ended up being the water pump. It only leaked when running down the road and the fan spread the fluid. I lucked out, easy fix.