3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (6.7L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 6.7L ONLY!

clutch slips w/smarty on #1

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 12:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clutch slips w/smarty on #1

Hey there... g56 71k on stock clutch..I run smarty on #1 fuel economy, the clutch will slip going up a grade with little or no load anywhere from 50mph up...i'm very easy on this truck..I know the stock clutch is the weak link..looking for opinions..thanks........
Old 03-28-2012, 05:19 AM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Opinions.....

Southbend

/nootheropinionsneeded
Old 03-28-2012, 08:15 AM
Advocate of getting the ban button used on him...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Just one more

Valair

/Just one more

Old 03-28-2012, 08:37 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Yeah... I'm running the smarty jr also. First time I got on the throttle I heard a hellacious noise! Pulled over, checked all my new flo pro exhaust mounts & connections, they're tight. So off I go again. Half throttle aggresively, tons of noise and vibration, rpms jump to 2300! Tire spin? Nope! Gotta be the clutch with only 30k miles on it now! even just motoring down the highway, pull out to pass, I gotta ease into it or she slips! Southbend... Here I come!
Old 03-28-2012, 08:44 AM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by kerry.king
Yeah... I'm running the smarty jr also. First time I got on the throttle I heard a hellacious noise! Pulled over, checked all my new flo pro exhaust mounts & connections, they're tight. So off I go again. Half throttle aggresively, tons of noise and vibration, rpms jump to 2300! Tire spin? Nope! Gotta be the clutch with only 30k miles on it now! even just motoring down the highway, pull out to pass, I gotta ease into it or she slips! Southbend... Here I come!
get rid of the dual mass flywheel setup......all you guys who want to run more than stock power, it cannot be done with the DM flywheel google "dual mass flywheel" and that will tell everything
Old 03-28-2012, 08:49 AM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by robby t
Hey there... g56 71k on stock clutch..I run smarty on #1 fuel economy, the clutch will slip going up a grade with little or no load anywhere from 50mph up...i'm very easy on this truck..I know the stock clutch is the weak link..looking for opinions..thanks........
quoted from a search on yahoo
"The dual mass systems are designed to transmit less engine vibration to the driveline, and give a better more car like driving experience. They also reduce some of the jarring and stress on the transmission and remainder of the drivetrain. They work fine as long as the engine remains unmodified and the vehicle is not used/abused beyond manufacturers recommendations.

As soon as you start to increase the engine power over stock, or load the vehicle beyond design parameters, you run into problems. Dual mass flywheels are tuned systems and must be matched to the engine torque curve, engine resonant characteristics, vehicle load curves (including axle ratio/tire size calculations). They work by having a set of springs inserted between two rotating masses (thus dual mass). The springs are sized to soak up some of the resonant vibration from the diesel engine under load conditions. A dual mass fly wheel generally also contains an over torque friction release, so if it gets suddenly overloaded, rather than damage the springs, it slips. This works fine as a safety valve, but if it does it much it burns up. In short, overloaded they burn up and the springs get destroyed and they are worse than if it were a single mass FW."
Old 03-28-2012, 08:54 AM

wow, thanks john!
Old 03-28-2012, 09:46 AM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by rockcrawler304
Just one more

Valair

/Just one more

Only a Fool would waste his money on the Imitator when you can own the Innovator like the new Southbend Dual Friction Dual Disc!
Attached Thumbnails clutch slips w/smarty on #1-sdd-df_announcement.jpg  
Old 03-28-2012, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
Only a Fool would waste his money on the Imitator when you can own the Innovator like the new Southbend Dual Friction Dual Disc!
Lary
Could you send the DTR member price in a PM please!
Old 03-28-2012, 10:18 AM
Admin Team Leader

Originally Posted by rockcrawler304
Lary
Could you send the DTR member price in a PM please!
Done
Old 03-28-2012, 10:39 AM

2nd that please larry!
Old 03-28-2012, 10:45 AM
Admin Team Leader

Originally Posted by kerry.king
2nd that please larry!
Done
Old 03-28-2012, 10:47 AM

thanks larry! Few more trios to the recycling center and I'll be ordering one
Old 03-28-2012, 11:41 AM

Thanks Lary!! I will be calling you soon
Old 03-28-2012, 12:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by robby t
I had the exact same problem with my 08, it had 40,000km when I put the smarty on it and the clutch started slipping right away. I went with a dual disk southbend clutch and ended up having a lot of issues with it. (you can read back in my posts). Ended up finally settling with a single disk southbend after $1000s of dollars and warrenty issues. Not knocking SB but I would look around, do your homework....maybe mine were built on a monday.

Quick Reply: clutch slips w/smarty on #1