3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

~$32 Grid Heater Delete~

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008 | 10:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I guess I could use the holes to check boost...or if I was hard core I could inject some NX in those holes too...
Old 04-09-2008 | 10:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yeah, I am confused on the whole grid heater thing too. I know there are several guys out there that don't wait at all, even in the middle of winter.

I have heard it doesnt make a difference. is that true? I know it warms the air on the way in, is that just to assist in an easier start? so its basically an option?
Old 04-09-2008 | 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by ptgarcia
But in the summer the grid heater probably doesn't try to come on.
Actually I think based on the sound of the fass cycling when its drawing power to the heaters it must come on in pretty warm temps Pauly.

Looks great Mark. I wonder if you can shave off the other block on the side with a porta-band and smooth it up on a disc sander? I cant remember looking at the GDP and others if there was this block.
Old 04-09-2008 | 11:09 PM

Liking this mod..

What can be expected from deleting the grid with mild(400ish) horsepower?

Does anyone make a cheap drop in block?
Old 04-09-2008 | 11:11 PM

Check this one out, Don.

http://www.glacierdieselpower.com/pr...pf_id=98507-PF
Old 04-09-2008 | 11:18 PM

glad to see my heater grid went for some good use! atta boy looks good hope it works good.
Old 04-09-2008 | 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by tristan21
Actually I think based on the sound of the fass cycling when its drawing power to the heaters it must come on in pretty warm temps Pauly.

Looks great Mark. I wonder if you can shave off the other block on the side with a porta-band and smooth it up on a disc sander? I cant remember looking at the GDP and others if there was this block.
Thanks buddy
unfortunately the block on the side is connected to the inside so if you cut it off you would have to patch it some how..and you know how welding cast can be..so the block has to stay.

Originally Posted by THURENfab.
Liking this mod..

What can be expected from deleting the grid with mild(400ish) horsepower?

Does anyone make a cheap drop in block?
yeah I dont know how much difference it will make???...but according to those dynos from a while back it does gain some hp...I figured for the price I might as well give it a try....

Originally Posted by nottanuff03
glad to see my heater grid went for some good use! atta boy looks good hope it works good.
Thanks for the grid heater man!!!! it was just what I was wanting
Thanks again.
Old 04-09-2008 | 11:29 PM

Hey 53 ******, could you do me a favor and measure the resistance across the grid on your good heater? I'm trying to figure out how many watts these things make as I'd like to use one to pre heat some WVO. If you'd be able to do that, that'd be awesome!

Nice work by the way, looks real clean
Old 04-09-2008 | 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by ptgarcia
yeah it's hard to beat the GDP one...it's priced pretty low
you guys know me tho...try building it myself if that dont work then I will try again

I always love the saying.."why buy it for $25 when I can build it myself for $100"
Old 04-09-2008 | 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by Crimedog
Hey 53 ******, could you do me a favor and measure the resistance across the grid on your good heater? I'm trying to figure out how many watts these things make as I'd like to use one to pre heat some WVO. If you'd be able to do that, that'd be awesome!

Nice work by the way, looks real clean
sure!!! my meter is at my work tho...so I will have to do it on Friday or Saturday.....
Old 04-10-2008 | 12:17 AM

Ya i did the same thing on my 97 12v. Just tapped them all to 1/8" pipe dont remember but i was thinking thier already even drilled the correct size- to easy huh? I plumbed the juice else where but have a Snow kit that came in today to mount tomorrow, i will look at mounting them there. Just wondering if theres a prob. with putting the nozzles to close to the plentum- if maybe the cylinders wont get an even charge? Sorry, just showing theres other poss. benifits to this mod, also great place to mount your boost gauge.
Old 04-10-2008 | 03:12 AM

I did this same thing last year. After you put back on, look
down threw hole. The bottom plate it sits on, and the gaskets
all protrude into hole. I took everything off,and then ground everything
back. When you look now, no obstructions. a big job but worth it.
Old 04-10-2008 | 06:46 AM

Here's what I did with my new grid heater delete spacer. ....and no I don't use the nitrous nozzle that's upstream from the water nozzles at the same time.
Attached Thumbnails ~ Grid Heater Delete~-2003_0101tugowar0022.jpg   ~ Grid Heater Delete~-2003_0101tugowar0023.jpg  
Old 04-10-2008 | 08:06 AM
Chapter President

Looks good!!!!!
Old 04-10-2008 | 11:01 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
red racer 44 it is cheaper to rent than to own , the cfm+ and delete is the best , we have modified enough of these that we are beginning to figure out most of the logic circuits in the ecm's most hpcr year models monitor the current of the relay coil to see if it has a 0.8amp draw , if you remove the 160 amp fuse link to the relay and the wire to the heaters but leave the two small wires connected to the relay or replace it with a 16 ohm 10 watt resistor that way you can clean up and give more room around the area , on some 05 and most 06 the ecm also has a logic circuit that if the key is left on and the temp is low enough to call for grid heaters and the truck is not started for about two minutes and if it does not see a 0.5 volt drop from battery it will set off a different code but all of the conditions have to be met . no problem starting -20 a guy from Alaska said that this does not work there , when it gets that cold i don't work very good either just found out how to use spell check now need grammer check

Quick Reply: ~$32 Grid Heater Delete~