3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

yes another silencer ring question

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2004, 12:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question yes another silencer ring question

I have done searches after searches and cannot find anyone who tape recorded their truck after removing the silencer ring. I was wondering if anyone has done this and could post it. I want to hear what the truck sounds like with the silencer ring gone and thats it... before any other mods have been done ie: baffles out, air intake, etc... thanks in advance

Eric
Old 09-02-2004, 12:48 AM

After adding an AFE "Torque Tube" and AFE Filter and heat shield kit, I have plenty of turbo noise, I think that removing the ring would be a little too much.
Old 09-02-2004, 07:08 AM
Banned

The first thing I did to my truck was remove the silencer ring. Didn't seem to make any difference in the sound level of either the truck or turbo. I've also removed the baffles, the under hood blanket, and punched a 4" hole in the airbox since then and the turbo is still too quiet. Makes about as much noise as a turbo suburu.
Old 09-02-2004, 04:08 PM

How are you removing the baffles from the tube between the airbox and turbo? Are you just buying a new tube and if so, from where? How can this be done cheaply?

The 4" hole, are you using a hole saw, freehand, or what? I don't have a hole saw or reciprocating saw and was wondering how this can be done.

Thanks,
Daren
Old 09-02-2004, 10:46 PM
Chapter President

Daren, You can get a 4" hole saw for you drill at any home improvement store. Just go to the drill bit section and look around, you'll get it no prob...

Fill in your location, maybe you live right down the street from someone that could help you with it...

Tom
Old 09-03-2004, 10:13 PM
Chapter President

I removed my ring and haven't noticed any noise change except when it spools down I hear it a little (with the windows down and hanging out the window!!).

My .02

Jamie
Old 09-03-2004, 10:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
There isn't anything you can do to get too much turbo wistle in a Dodge.
Old 09-03-2004, 11:01 PM
Chapter President

Hoot,
1. What kind of glue did you use to put your intake tube back together with?

2. did you cover your new hole on the airbox?

Jamie
Old 09-03-2004, 11:50 PM

Originally posted by hoot
There isn't anything you can do to get too much turbo wistle in a Dodge.
I love the sound when heavy on the go pedal, but for a LONG trip I don't want to hear a leaf blower, that turns 150,000RPMs under my hood.
Old 09-03-2004, 11:57 PM

Originally posted by Jmac
Hoot,
1. What kind of glue did you use to put your intake tube back together with?

2. did you cover your new hole on the airbox?

Jamie
1. I did not cover the hole in my air box (when I had one), but if it makes you feel better, you could cover it with some screen.

2. I used super glue to glue my tube back after removing the baffles (when I had that too ).

Hope this helps......
Old 09-04-2004, 11:42 AM
Chapter President

Thanks Thirsty600
Old 09-04-2004, 03:29 PM

I removed the baffles as well out of the tube (just pried it apart, slid the baffles out and super glued the top back on), removed the white plastic elbow leading to the Turbo and the silencer ring as well. I can definatly hear the Turbo spool up now. I tried to get a clip of it with my digital camera but it jsut won't pick up the whine... just the brute sound of the 600 under there.
Old 09-04-2004, 03:32 PM

i wanna take out the silencer ring so badly but am scared to death of scrathing or nicking any of the housing or the find in there, how many of you had problems and what would you rate it out of 1-10 10 being hardest. im worried my screwdriver will slip right off that snap ring and get those find! anyone have any tricks of how to do it???
Old 09-04-2004, 03:39 PM

I got a couple scrapes in mine... then I got smart and just used some smaller screw drivers. Used one to lift one edge of the ring (the edges are slant cut so you can jsut get under one side) and then used the smallest one once there was a lil room to pry it in and then it just pretty much slid right out after that.

A lil off subject but not too much... andony have a TAG (Turbine Air Guide?) installed? The dealer has them and said it's something worth getting as it will direct the flow straight through instead of jsut spinning around in all directions without one installed.
Old 09-04-2004, 03:42 PM

what about putting these things back in, is it easier or more tricky? can you deffinately tell its in right when its in...??? not sure on the tag sorry

Quick Reply: yes another silencer ring question