3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

XM OR Sirrius???

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2005, 06:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I personally like xm's acutal music contest better than sirrius. Unless someone has both never listen too to much opinion on content as it is meaningless. I hear people trash one or the other and they only have one.

couple observations I have noticed. I live in oregon and like college football XM has pac 10 sirrus did not last year. sirrus did have college football just no pac 10 so depending on where you live this can be something to look at. sirrius has more NFL content but I am not into NFL as much anymore as the overpaid whinners have ruined the sport for me.

As for liking the xm staions better dj's can change and they both have so many channels it is rediculous. So that is not a complete deal breaker either way.

Sirrus has stern in Jan but I think he sucks donkeyballs so no advantage to me. Some people love him though. this is a good thing for subscrberbase and company growth though.

they both offer so many different hardware options I am unaware of any advantage there. All things being equal though I like xm's content more.

I just looked and sirrius does have the $499 buy in for life this is something xm does not offer and they have come along way. there was a piont where they were small enough giving them $500 would bother me but I think the company will last. the cheapest you can get xm is 9.99 a month period.

So if you think long term sirrius is the smart finacial choice right now even though I prefer xm's music at the time being.
Old 12-08-2005, 07:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hognutz

I just looked and sirrius does have the $499 buy in for life this is something xm does not offer and they have come along way. there was a piont where they were small enough giving them $500 would bother me but I think the company will last. the cheapest you can get xm is 9.99 a month period.

So if you think long term sirrius is the smart finacial choice right now even though I prefer xm's music at the time being.

you got to watch that ..you have to read the fine print .. that is for the LIFE of your unit you are running .. if you wanna upgrade to another radio or that on gets stolen or it goes on the fritz .. no more lifetime .. it is for the life of the radio ..

G
Old 12-08-2005, 07:25 PM

yeah that sucks I would physically kill someone if they would not transfer that due to a bad reciever.
Old 12-08-2005, 08:17 PM
Chapter President

I've got Sirrius and I do not know what I used to listen to before I got it. I am super happy with them. I always get a signal. I HAVE had 2 recievers go bad not Sirrius's fault, and they have been exchanged for new ones and no problems with Sirrius continuing my subscription.
Old 12-09-2005, 12:19 PM

got the wifey XM but I'm trying out a demo in my truck, so far content wise I'm ok with it, just need to get my system sounding better
Old 12-09-2005, 06:55 PM

a life time sirius sub can be changed to a diferent unit 3 times at a cost of $75.00 each time something to keep in mind when u are looking for a prettier unit..still a good deal,,if your going to live awhile,,bottom line,,if u are thinking about a lifetime sub,,get the sirius radio u really want,,not the cheap one like i did
Old 12-10-2005, 05:35 AM
abb

Xm

If you want to listen to old country why not Hanks place? or America, Channel 10 & 13
Old 12-10-2005, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by abb
If you want to listen to old country why not Hanks place? or America, Channel 10 & 13
I listen to America, channel 10, but I have to resort to the CD's when they start playing Hank III, and some of the other ones. Songs like Don't touch my Willie, and New Tony... , do not belong on the older country stations. other than that, I am happy with it.
Old 12-10-2005, 09:36 AM

I run XM. I have the Delphi2 and a couple of car kits. That way I can switch it to whatever I'm driving. I got hooked after driving a rental car for 800 miles.
Old 12-10-2005, 02:39 PM

What?? What channel does XM have for metal?? Sirius has Hardattack which is an AWESOME metal channel (children of bodom, nevermore, lamb of god, meshuggah, byzantine, shadows fall, etc.). I went with sirius for the specific reason that I **couldn't**find a suitable metal station on XM.

Originally Posted by low c1500
What gender of music due you like?, Myself I like heavy metal, XM is better for that. If you like Hard rock, then Suruis is better. I've heard both and I think Surius is better (I own XM). I find with the rock stations that XM has more variaty of songs, where as Surius is more mainstream.
Old 12-10-2005, 04:17 PM

another thing to know is xm uses ground repeaters because the type of orbit their sat. are in doesn"t cover the entire u.s. all of the time,,,sirius doesn"t need repeaters because their satellites are higher and in a different type of orbit,,,,this might explain why some people don"t get cd quality music with xm, maybe they are not close enough to a ground repeater
Old 12-10-2005, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by Thrust
What?? What channel does XM have for metal?? Sirius has Hardattack which is an AWESOME metal channel (children of bodom, nevermore, lamb of god, meshuggah, byzantine, shadows fall, etc.). I went with sirius for the specific reason that I **couldn't**find a suitable metal station on XM.
XM has squiz 48 (shadows fall, mudvanye, static-x), which I guess isn't heavy all the time, maybe thats what I like about it. Also my XM has terrible sound quality up here in Canada (Much worse than normal radio, I put a CD in for the first time since I got XM, and was amaized how much better the CD was.
Old 12-10-2005, 09:28 PM

canada ok"d the satellite radio companies to sell subs there acouple months ago,xm is installing repeaters there right now,,so is sirius but they don"t have to install near as many,,also ,,make sure your car radio isn"t set on a local radio station,,find a freqency that is not being used,,then set your sat. radio freqency to to it,,,that helps alot
Old 12-11-2005, 09:31 AM

if you have clearance lights they are a great place to run the antenna...just put a little clear silicone between the roof and the seal...no leaks. i put my roady2 (which kinda sucks...poor fm modulator but only $30 now *shrug*) on my windshield above my rear view mirror...antenna through middle clearance light and spliced a cig lighter receptacle into roof display for power...made a super clean install.

try to stear clear of fm modulators if possible...they are an easy install but dont offer as good of sound quality as a direct connection...sirius seems to have better units than xm.

xm has MLB...sirius has NFL
"xm comedy channel" is awesome...uncut standup...i listen to it 80% of the time at work in my excavator...makes the day fly by!
Old 12-11-2005, 12:08 PM

Love the Sirius, never tried XM besides listening to it in a friends GM truck. Didn't notice much of a difference overall.

Getting a FM modulated unit is no problem, just add one of these FM Module Relay for $20 and another $15 on adapters (for my Dodge OEM radio) and your wired directly in, with no dropouts or changing FM stations works great.

I've used Sirius in Canada on the north side of Lake Superior with no troubles, and along Georgian Bay.

I've heard that Sirius is going to be getting Nascar if you want to listen to cars go around in circles Seemed to be a big thing to some proponents of XM in the past.

The NFL coverage is outstanding if you like football.

There are limited amount of College football games on, but most of the big match ups on any given weekend may be on.

I originally purchased the lifetime on my Streamer unit for $399 a couple of years ago, which is a little big, but works great in the house and I have a boombox for work or camping. The car kit broke and would've cost $50 to replace. Last month I picked up a Starmate Replay and it's small size fits great and I just added the account to my existing account, there's no boombox available that's why I kept both units. The Streamer will have recouped it's subscription cost in the next few months.

For traveling either sat radio company will be hard to beat, compared to doing channel searches every 20 to 30 minutes.

Quick Reply: XM OR Sirrius???