3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

XM Satellite using the Stock Radio

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2005, 10:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
XM Satellite using the Stock Radio

So I have been looking for satellite radio for my 2003 Ram for quite some time. I was indifferent between XM and Sirius, but I wanted something that integrated with the stock radio, the 6 disc RBQ in my case. So I did some research....

For Sirius, your only option was the factory Sirius add-on. Retail was about $300, but could be had for about $250 on the net. Install was moderate and required drilling a hole in the roof for the antenna. The biggest problem was that it did not display title/artist information on the RBQ radio. To get title and artist information you need the RB1 Nav radio, a $1300 option!

So, here is what I found. www.radiosandmore.com is selling and XM Direct kit for the Dodge radios. It is XM, it integrates with the stock radio, and on the RBQ it provides title/artist information, plus is cost less. The XM Direct kit also didn't require drilling a hole in the roof as the antenna lead could be run out of the third brake light and the antenna is much smaller/lower profile.

I'm not trying to do a sale pitch, but I spent a lot of time looking to add satellite radio to my truck. I wanted title and artist information and I wanted it to utilize the stock radio. The XM direct kit was simple to install and I did so in about 1 hour.

If you’re looking to add satellite radio to your truck with an RBQ or other non-Nav radio, you need to give XM Direct a serious look.

-Tom
2003 Dodge 2500 4x4 LWB
Factory RBQ radio (6 disc changer) with XM Direct.
Old 07-26-2005, 11:07 PM

Tom,

Any idea if this will work with an RB4 head unit? I received a free 1 year subscription to Sirius with the purchase of the new truck and I hate it. Sirius that is. I am already an XM customer and would LOVE to integrate the XM SkyFi2 I own into the RB4 NAV system I've got. If that doesn't work I'll buy some other XM box and toss the SkyFi2 back in the motorhome. I can use the built in FM modulator with the SkyFi2 but it sounds kind of crappy. A hardwired solution would be MUCH better!

Aloha
Old 07-26-2005, 11:39 PM

To the best of my knowledge, Yes. It should work with any 2003-2005 factory radio. Apparently it also works with a factory CD Changer, something that the factory Sirius add-on doesn't do. So you could get a CD Changer with your RB4.

Ohh, the other part I forgot to mention. I ordered the radio Thursday afternoon and it was at my house Friday afternoon.

-Tom

(Update: Read my post below. Turns out it does NOT work with the RB4 at all and does NOT display title/artist on RB1. However, works with non-Nav radios with Title/Artist.)
Old 07-26-2005, 11:51 PM

Hmm... I've been reading up on the RB4 and apparently it will not display the song or artist. My opinion is the RB4 head unit is a real pile of you know what. Don't even get me started on not being able to use the NAV search tools while driving. In Sirius mode the RB4 only displays the channel # and channel name, no song title or artist. I'm guessing the same will be true when I add XM. I might just consider selling the RB4 and getting an RB1. I have no use for UConnect. I'll need to do some more research.

Aloha
Old 07-27-2005, 09:12 AM

I just talked back with the Radiosandmore people. Turns out it does NOT work with the RB4 at all and does NOT show title/artist info on the RB1.

So, it sounds like for those of us with non-Nav radios, XM Direct is the way to go. If you have the RB1, the factory Sirius is a better option.

-Tom
Old 08-02-2005, 01:44 AM

Re: XM Satellite using the Stock Radio

Originally posted by tomh
and on the RBQ it provides title/artist information
Tom, I was looking for someone to confirm that info on an RBQ, thanks.

Once you set it to display Artist & Title will it stay there after you shut off the truck?
Old 08-02-2005, 11:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would bet the rb4 will display the info if installed corecty. my sister had the sirus installed on her RB1 and left the dealership with no title and artist info.

I searched around and figured out the dealership left out a cable on the install. gave her the part number and now it is working.

I am not impressed with dodges sevrice knowlege. I had a go around with them over pinion factor and then they don't ever know how to install the sat radio on my sisters car.

makes me think if you were not persistant with them many people just think things don't work right.
Old 08-02-2005, 09:19 PM

Re: Re: XM Satellite using the Stock Radio

Originally posted by Matt400
Tom, I was looking for someone to confirm that info on an RBQ, thanks.

Once you set it to display Artist & Title will it stay there after you shut off the truck?
I know I PM'd ya, but the website blew up right when sent the message. So, here is the answer to this specific question.

You can display one of four items, Artist, Title, Genre or Station Title. To cycle thru them, you press 'tune down' briefly. Whatever you set this on, Title or Artist, etc, that is what it will be when you start the truck the next time. It holds the setting.

The RBQ only displays 8 characters at a time on the alphanumeric display. With XM direct it will display the first 16 characters of any Artist or Song Title by displaying the first 8, then pause, then the next 8.

-Tom
Old 08-02-2005, 11:10 PM

Re: XM Satellite using the Stock Radio

Originally posted by tomh

So, here is what I found. www.radiosandmore.com is selling and XM Direct kit for the Dodge radios. It is XM, it integrates with the stock radio, and on the RBQ it provides title/artist information, plus is cost less. The XM Direct kit also didn't require drilling a hole in the roof as the antenna lead could be run out of the third brake light and the antenna is much smaller/lower profile.

-Tom
2003 Dodge 2500 4x4 LWB
Factory RBQ radio (6 disc changer) with XM Direct.
Is that price correct, $175 including next day air shipping?
Old 08-02-2005, 11:17 PM

Re: Re: XM Satellite using the Stock Radio

Originally posted by Jonesboro
Is that price correct, $175 including next day air shipping?
Sounds about right. Way cheaper then the Sirius option from the dealer.

-Tom
Old 08-02-2005, 11:56 PM

Lookin to do some extensive traveling.......please let me know what the subscription rates and contracts are like.
Thanks.
Old 08-03-2005, 01:07 AM

Originally posted by HaulinBut
Lookin to do some extensive traveling.......please let me know what the subscription rates and contracts are like.
Thanks.
The same as Sirius... $12.95/mo. There is a $10 activation fee and you can get discounts for prepaying for multiple years of service. I think you get 1 month free if you pay for 1 year in advance.

Here is XM's site with more info...
http://www.xmradio.com/service_subsc...bscription.jsp

-Tom
Old 10-02-2005, 06:48 PM

Smile

Tom,
I just excitedly read your thread about XM direct and the RBQ radio. I have been scouring the internet for info and you seem to have answered the stuff I wanted to know in your post of July 3. I wanted to hear if you have had any new revelations since the last post. I am planning on ordering tommorrow.
Thanks
Hoagie
Old 10-03-2005, 12:34 AM

The radio has been very good. My recent drive from Las Vegas to Topeka, KS resulted in less then 1 minute of drop outs (out of a 21-24 hr drive.) The first was in a canyon on I-15 just inside the NV/AZ border (about 5-10 seconds worth.) The other was on I-70 in Glenwood Canyon in Colorado (about 30 seconds worth.) Coverage was great.

The radio has been great. Two things I have noticed. First, the magnetic antenna stays in place really well with normal driving, but I saw it had moved slightly after a blast with the pressure washer. I'm thinking some 3M automotive adhesive tape or a bead of silicone sealant around the base will prevent that. It only happened once, but it's probably worth fixing.

The other issue is with the steering wheel preset cycle button. The cycle button doesn't work, so you manually have to change presets on the radio, unlike FM/AM. All other steering wheel controls (volume, seek, etc) work. So it is a minor inconvenience and much better then an XM add on box. I have talked with the manufacture and they are working on a fix.

If I had to do it all again, I would have bought it sooner. It is that good and I like it that much.

-Tom