3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Xcelerator Question??? Suggestions welcome!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2006, 08:45 PM
DTR Advertiser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes! The stock system ( CP3 and pressure values ) will slowly build to the maximum pressure it can achieve.

On stock trucks, you have to go WOT and hold it to the floor through the 3rd to OD upshift to get MAX rail pressure.

When you have a pressure box and a pump that can build pressure quickly, you get to the MAX values very fast. Almost instantly, even under WOT. So the unit time the accumulator is in MAX value is much longer.

Here I have a pressure transducer and a software set to watch the accumulator conditions. It graphs the pressure and the time together. Microseconds and pressure. It has enough resolution to actually see each injector fire and the pressure waves this creates.

I have not always been a worry wart about the additional pressure. NOT until I began to handle these things in my hands daily that have been subjected to it. A huge percentage is directly related back to pressure other than stock.

The new 6.7 ltr injector design has addressed many of the
issues that cause these failures. Rightfully. The new system operates at higher pressure. They are making changes in design in the areas I see failing from high rail pressure in generation 2 injectors ( our current flavor ) on the Gen 3 stuff.

Some failures are directly attributable to poor machine work from the factory. This is why some fail and some run for 200,000 miles. Even with pressure changes.

A good gage is your friend.
Old 11-21-2006, 08:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So...since my injectors have made it 115k with no issues, then the bodies are "proven" and will be good recipents of your tips? I hope!

Back to the thread...do you have a rail gauge Maddod Madden?
Old 11-21-2006, 09:10 PM

not a good one, just the one on the tst pmcr. Im almost thinking i should get the flux 2s instead of flux 3s. Or maybe stack the tst with the smarty and mp8. I dont know what to do. Have to think about it awhile i guess.
Old 11-21-2006, 09:15 PM

Turn it down some? You have tons and tons of settings to fool with. A month or more of road tuning...then the dyno. I bet you can dial it in. You also may have have hit the timing wall? What timing is your TST set to?

I am a Smarty fan...but it can be done with 3 or 4 of the other downloaders too!
Old 11-21-2006, 09:41 PM
DTR Advertiser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah most guys can only run about level 2 on the TST with a upper settings on the downloaders

Many guys have kicked up plenty of power with the PPE.

Moving to a F2 VS a F3 is not going to allow a higher TST setting in most cases. Maybe 1 setting tops.

Just watch the EGT during testing. That is the killer on the 3rd gens. I am becoming a bigger fan of water injection everyday. Not tons of meth in the mix.
Old 11-21-2006, 09:48 PM

Yes ive seen the timing wall for sure. find the most power with 6* auto timing works the best with the "seat of my pants" feel. And has the least amount of rattle. I think im pretty close on the settings, just went for a tst drive to double check the rail pressure gauge. At WOT the fuel rail pressure gauge dosent go below 22k, but the boost still drops about 12 lbs of boost over 2500 rpm. Thats what im really trying to figure out. Im thinking it has to be the excelerator defueling for the shift. Thats what ppe's website says they do to save the stock trannys. If i could get it to quit loosing boost, id have a pretty mean truck, i mean it runs good now but ya know i want more. Actually i just want to get the max out of what i have. Getting closer though thats for sure.
Old 11-21-2006, 10:00 PM

I have one suggestion...TRY A SMARTY THEN!

Say NO to TORQUE MANAGEMENT!

I have zero defueling anymore...from idle to 3400 rpms on any shift.
Old 11-21-2006, 10:07 PM

yep that sounds like the way to go. I think ill order one tomorrow. Then ill decide if i need the mp8. Its only $$$$ right