3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Wow, pretty awesome! Questions though?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 10:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thought the xzt did boost fooling? Why are you recommending the boost elbow? I need help understanding.
Old 09-01-2007, 10:41 PM

03-early 04 need the boost elbow. 04.5-07 use an electronic wastegate and the boost fooler is needed. If your using the the XZT on an 04.5 and later truck you should be good.
Old 09-01-2007, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by t-boe
03-early 04 need the boost elbow. 04.5-07 use an electronic wastegate and the boost fooler is needed. If your using the the XZT on an 04.5 and later truck you should be good.
Screw me, I can't use it....well, you just saved me $20.00....thanks
Old 09-01-2007, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by MacMan
I can't use it....well, you just saved me $20.00....thanks

Your welcome.
Old 09-01-2007, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by qzilla
Don't forget that if you are looking at our Monster Air Intakes that they now sport a special version of the Pro Dry S made specifically for us!

They are a great filter and we are selling them by the truck load and everyone is impressed!
Will these intakes work on the 07?

Thanks

Gary
Old 09-01-2007, 11:34 PM

Don't forget that if you are looking at our Monster Air Intakes that they now sport a special version of the Pro Dry S made specifically for us!

They are a great filter and we are selling them by the truck load and everyone is impressed!

I need to get one of these. I keep pulling down the filter minder with the Amsoil EAA189.
Old 09-02-2007, 12:59 AM

Yes, the intakes work on the 07 5.9L trucks!

Also, I want to go ahead and spell out the boost fooling thing again! I plan on having this in a FAQ on our website here shortly. My list of things to do is so long that it is scary! In fact I hired another full time web developer today!

OK, so here is the deal. On a 03-04 truck you have a mechanical wastegate that is vacuum operated. You can physically alter this, block this, or do whatever and make more boost. This can be done for almost free or $20 bucks or something like that. Now, the problem is that your ECM will see more than 23-24 psi and will throw a CEL and de-fuel the truck. It does not put the truck in limp mode, it simple cuts fuel back in an effort to control boost.
This is why you need a boost fooler. It stops the ECM from seeing more than 23-24 psi of boost.

The 04.5 and newer trucks work basically the same way with 1 little change. The wastegate is controlled electronically. This allows the ECM to control boost on its own without worrying about mechanical parts or vacuum to activate something which is not all that accurate. Not only that, with an electronic wastegate they can pulse the signal and precisely control the exact level of boost. They can also open the wastegate in situations where less torque is needed.

When you put the boost fooler on these trucks we take care of the ECM and the wastegate and allow it make more boost without any other modifications.

We could offer the boost fooler with a boost elbow but, I am not in the fitting manufacturing business and I hate to make someone buy something that I buy from someone else. Plus, people might want to make their own? We would also have more part#'s to deal with and then we would have 04.5 trucks ordering parts for a 04 and vice versa!!!
Old 09-02-2007, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by MacMan
Screw me, I can't use it....well, you just saved me $20.00....thanks
I have not used the XZT or know its capabilities. I do want to add I have an older TST and it did boost fooling also but could not by itself make the electronic wastegated turbos increase boost. All the boost fooling does is tell the computer you are running within the boost ECM wants to see.

Adding a boost elbow on the 4.5 does allow you to adjust the wastegate and set it to whatever boost you want. I have mine set to 38lbs and it helps EGT and Power.

The newer TST models boost fool the ECM and allow adjustment of boost from the controller without the need of a boost elbow.

If the XZT boost fools but does not allow you to adjust desired boost level an adjustable elbow will definately help you.
Old 09-02-2007, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by JP-4.5
I have not used the XZT or know its capabilities. I do want to add I have an older TST and it did boost fooling also but could not by itself make the electronic wastegated turbos increase boost. All the boost fooling does is tell the computer you are running within the boost ECM wants to see.
Adding a boost elbow on the 4.5 does allow you to adjust the wastegate and set it to whatever boost you want. I have mine set to 38lbs and it helps EGT and Power.
How are you running that much manifold pressure and not throwing fault codes?
Old 09-02-2007, 10:32 AM

The TST does the boost fooling.. Unplug map sensor plug from sensor, TST plugs into sensor and cable. TST then tells ECM boost pressure is within 0-?? so ECM never throws overboost code. Actual pressure is displayed on TST up to 40lbs. To connect boost elbow on the electronic wastegate you need to disconnect the hose from the electronic wastegate. Connect boost elbow to hose coming from wastegate. The other end of the wastegate needs to go to a boost source. I used one of the boost bolts genos garage sells that replaces an intake bolt and gives you a source for boost pressure. You then just adjust the boost you want by trial and error using the allen on the boost elbow. I am fairly sure when I did this in 2004 I found a few forums showing the install and I just followed the directions. It has worked well for me. I had to also drill the hole on the boost elbow out a small amount to be able to reach 38lbs. as with the allen all the way out is was not bleeding off enough to allow turbo past 29lbs. I increased the hole in the elbow a small amount using a drill bit held in a tap handle very carefully. This I also found on a forum and it stated if you make the hole to large the elbow won't work and turbo will create as much boost as possible. This is not desirable as I seem to remember several people exploding their turbos while trying as boost went to high. You need to be sure and have guages before attempting this so you do not grenade your turbo. Increase in boost does help EGT and Power to a point. Past that point and the turbo will live a short life. This is my 1st turbo vehicle so I have listened to others and have not tried to go any higher than 38lbs. I will try and go higher if/when I put a larger turbo on.
How does the XZT connefct to MAP sensor? If it makes 2 connections, 1 to sensor and 1 to harness then I would think all you need to do is install the elbow and adjust to your desired boost level. It will make a large difference. Before putting the elbow on my truck I think in ran better stock as I could almost hit 30 lbs stock. After connecting TST but not adjusting elbow it would only reach 24lbs and I could feel the difference SOP.
Good Luck..
Old 09-02-2007, 10:36 AM

Just thought of another item... Intercooler plastic vs. alum. The 2004.5 vehicles had the alum intercooler and can take the higher boost levels. If you are trying this on a truck that has the plastic intercooler ends be careful or you will POP the intercooler.
Old 09-02-2007, 11:27 AM

Yes, the intakes work on the 07 5.9L trucks!
OK, so here is the deal. On a 03-04 truck you have a mechanical wastegate that is vacuum operated. You can physically alter this, block this, or do whatever and make more boost. This can be done for almost free or $20 bucks or something like that. Now, the problem is that your ECM will see more than 23-24 psi and will throw a CEL and de-fuel the truck. It does not put the truck in limp mode, it simple cuts fuel back in an effort to control boost.
This is why you need a boost fooler. It stops the ECM from seeing more than 23-24 psi of boost.
So if you install a boost elbow, and have an Xzillaraider box will you still need to buy the boost fooler also? Or will the box do the boost fooling for you? BTW, I just installed the Commander. Great product Quad..Install time was around 2 hrs, most of that was routing wiring for a neat appearance.
Old 09-02-2007, 12:49 PM

If you are running our XZT, Standard or Race box YOU DO NOT NEED a boost fooler. IT is already being done.

JP-4.5,

You sort of muddied the water up here. You are talking about an adjustable boost regulator. We are talking about making more boost versus stock boost levels.

You can get as fancy as you want. For most people this is pointless and it really is a whole different subject.
Old 09-02-2007, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by JP-4.5
Just thought of another item... Intercooler plastic vs. alum. The 2004.5 vehicles had the alum intercooler and can take the higher boost levels. If you are trying this on a truck that has the plastic intercooler ends be careful or you will POP the intercooler.
Wow, first I've heard of this!

How high is "to" high on the early 04 trucks?
Is there a "safe" level of boost you can run on the trucks with the plastic IC's?
Old 09-02-2007, 01:10 PM

Just checked my truck, and it seems to have the Aluminum intercooler ends, so I guess I'm good!
Kinda hard to tell with it being painted so heavily black, but it does seem to be metal!

Quick Reply: Wow, pretty awesome! Questions though?