3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

wiring up auxillary back up lights

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2003, 06:58 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Re:wiring up auxillary back up lights

I have 2 tractor headlights mounted to the bottom of the bumper. Picked up 12 volts from the hot wire on the trailer connector to the lights thru a stater solenoid. Trigger the solenoid with the original backup lights. Mounted the solenoid high up behind the left rear light. They really help seeing whats making that expensive noise!!!

Adding a switch to make them into work lights for the trailers and such. Will install a diode to prevent backflow. The thing to remember is to find which of the many ways to add things work best for you. Ohms law is our friend ;D

Ed
Old 12-30-2003, 07:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the info. I forgot to pick up a fuse holder.
Tapping into the trailer package would be best if I did not want a switch.
The switched lights are handy for things like camping, loading the truck at night. skinning hogs in the dark, flashing tailgater jerks
Old 12-30-2003, 10:14 PM

Originally posted by guzzirider
The switched lights are handy for things like camping, loading the truck at night. skinning hogs in the dark, flashing tailgater jerks
Be careful with that last one, can get you a ticket or a bullet....
Old 12-31-2003, 08:06 PM

Location: Dead Center in the Middle of TN. 20 miles from Jack Daniels, 10 miles from George Dickle and .8 mi from the liquor store at I-24 Exit 114
I have seen some good ideas here about the wiring and positioning of backup lights.

I would like to hear more or see pictures of how you put them into the bumper.

I have a small set that will mount under the bumper but I would like to have something that projected to the sides much better.

I was really thinking about ordering a spotlight from Gall's to go on my truck. After all of those years of using one on a Patrol Car you get to where you miss one when you don't have it.

Jim
Old 01-04-2004, 11:47 AM

Here's where I mounted them. Made a simple "Z" bracket from the end of the frame out of some 3/16" strap stock, used a hole saw and jig saw to cut out the bumper, and then used some chrome door edge guard to line the cut outs. Wired them in exactly like the diagram earlier in this post, with a switch on the dash bezel behind the turn signal lever.
Attached Thumbnails wiring up auxillary back up lights-rev_lights1dtr.jpg  
Old 01-04-2004, 12:19 PM

Originally posted by tobyw
Here's where I mounted them. Made a simple "Z" bracket from the end of the frame out of some 3/16" strap stock, used a hole saw and jig saw to cut out the bumper, and then used some chrome door edge guard to line the cut outs. Wired them in exactly like the diagram earlier in this post, with a switch on the dash bezel behind the turn signal lever.
WOW That is a neat looking installation.
I want brighter backup lights, but dont really need the switch. I thought about just putting bulbs with a higher candle power in the existing backups, but in the service manual, they warn to not do that.
I think I will install one small round light directly across from the trailer connector.
BTW, I am looking at the pinout of that connector. Pin 4 is the fused hot wire (hot even with key off), and pin 3 is backup lights. Anybody know how much load pin 3 can handle?
Old 01-04-2004, 01:19 PM

Originally posted by Ray Roton
WOW That is a neat looking installation.
I want brighter backup lights, but dont really need the switch. I thought about just putting bulbs with a higher candle power in the existing backups, but in the service manual, they warn to not do that.
I think I will install one small round light directly across from the trailer connector.
BTW, I am looking at the pinout of that connector. Pin 4 is the fused hot wire (hot even with key off), and pin 3 is backup lights. Anybody know how much load pin 3 can handle?
OOPS That pin out is for a 10 pin connector. I cant find the pin out for the 7 pin round connector anywhere in the service manual.
Anyone have that handy?
Old 01-04-2004, 01:36 PM

Originally posted by PROSOUTH
I have seen some good ideas here about the wiring and positioning of backup lights.

I would like to hear more or see pictures of how you put them into the bumper. .......

Jim
Mine are mounted into a Reunel bumper. They are available for 3rd geners.
Attached Thumbnails wiring up auxillary back up lights-dscn0855a.jpg  
Old 01-04-2004, 03:04 PM

Not sure if this is exactly what you are after or not, but it might help?
Attached Thumbnails wiring up auxillary back up lights-wiringdtr.jpg  
Old 01-04-2004, 05:57 PM

Location: Dead Center in the Middle of TN. 20 miles from Jack Daniels, 10 miles from George Dickle and .8 mi from the liquor store at I-24 Exit 114
TobyW, Commatoze and everybody else this place ROCKS!

I like Commatoze's light but in a stocK bumper. 'reckin that will work?

I'll just have to check these out and see won't I?

Thanks for the pic's Jim