3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

wiring in back up flood lights

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2013, 03:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile wiring in back up flood lights

Looking for some info / cautions on how to do this install. Want to do with a manual on /off switch rather than have them connected when I go in reverse. Main function will be when backing up a boat or trailer.

Thanks,
2kayaks
Whitehorse, Yukon
Old 09-22-2013, 04:49 PM
MTC

Check out Whitenight.com...I think thats what it is...they have the lights and plug in connectors to work with reverse and manually.

Ive had them on my truck for years and Im real happy with them.
Old 09-22-2013, 05:53 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I chose to disconnect my truck backup light from the transmission switch and wire a separate fused, switched to them and the hid lights.
Old 09-22-2013, 06:43 PM

Thank you MTC and carl48 for the quick responses. carl48 thanks for the photo of switch location. MTC I will be checking out the website you suggested.
2kayaks.
Old 09-22-2013, 08:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just connect a switch controlled relay to a set of lights, you can get everything you need at your local auto parts store....

I got these "driving" lights at wallmart, they use common high intensity halogen lamps available at home improvement stores. they are pretty small, put out lots of light and are almost un-noticable:

I have them wired to come on with the back up lights or the clear switch on the dash.
Old 09-22-2013, 09:56 PM

Thanks verdesardog. I am assuming you had a fused power source directly from from the battery and a relay somewhere in the line? They look nice and compact.
2kayaks
Old 09-22-2013, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by 2kayaks
Thanks verdesardog. I am assuming you had a fused power source directly from from the battery and a relay somewhere in the line? They look nice and compact.
2kayaks

Correct, fused right at the battery.
Old 09-26-2013, 08:55 PM

I flush mounted mine in the rear bumper with some flood lights and grommets from Napa and a 4 1/2" hole saw. It's a clean look and costs about $20. Rigid Industries makes flush mount lights but cost more. I know there are pictures on here somewhere.
Old 09-28-2013, 10:40 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
VersaDog did you make the mounting plate? I like the set up
Old 10-10-2013, 05:36 PM

I have a pair of the Rigid Dually flood lights mounted under the rear bumper on some Defiant light brackets. They have been on the truck for about 3 years now. I made up a relay set to allow the lights to be switched on both automatically with the reverse lights or with a switch. I put the switch in the bed of my truck as I can't see a time I would need to switch the lights on from the cab where I wouldn't be putting the truck in reverse. I didn't want the temptation to use them on some idiot behind me. This is an awesome setup for daily use.

I can't say enough good things about the Rigid Industries lights, the downside is cost. I just purchased a set of the Dually D2 driving and a 20" SR bar for the front of the truck. The D2 may replace the fog lights and the 20" bar will be in the center of my stock bumper on their mounts. The pattern on the Spectre series D2 lights is awesome, nice and wide with an even spread, should be perfect offroad or reverse lights. I may actually use the D2 driving to replace my Dually floods on the rear, the pattern is that good. The SR series bar has 8 flood LED's and 12 spot, the pattern is very bright in the center with good spill, should make a great supplement to my crappy stock high beams on long dark roads. I plan on wiring the bar to fire both with the high beams or solo. I did look at and prefer the Baja Designs 20" bar, but the Rigid was on sale for $400, the Baja with their wiring harness to use the low mode is about $600. The Baja is about 600 more lumens and has user serviceable beam patterns, on my Bronco I will likely go with the Baja Designs.
Old 10-10-2013, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by railroaderone
VersaDog did you make the mounting plate? I like the set up

Yeah, just some angle iron drilled to use the tow bar mounting bolts.

If you're asking about the switch plate, it's a piece of sheet metal connected with sheet metal screws to angle brackets screwed into each side of the cubby hole.