3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

This "winter" truck tire looks to have it all…

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 06:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This "winter" truck tire looks to have it all…

Was in Kal Tire and spotted Muteki Mud Hogs. Had never heard of them.

I've always wanted a winter truck tire that has an aggressive pattern for deep snow, siping for wet conditions, and is studded. This tire appears to be it.

Even more interesting, this in an all season tire that is winter rated.

Pretty impressive IMO. When my tires wear out I'm going to give these a try...
Attached Thumbnails This "winter" truck tire looks to have it all…-image-290714338.jpg  
Old 08-25-2014, 08:08 PM

It looks like it's probably a cheap copy of the Wrangler Dura Trac

Old 08-25-2014, 08:45 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Go into Kal tire and look at these, Telus uses them on their fleet of trucks, I've got them all around and my kid had used them on his last truck 2011 3500 ram on the ice roads, loved them. My daughter told her (oil patch) company about them and they are now using them nation wide all year round instead of switching wheels every season. Compare them side by side to all that's available, I chose these.http://www.multimiletires.com/tires/...ication=SUV-LT
Old 08-25-2014, 10:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Interesting review: http://www.fourwheeler.com/product-r...view-pigskins/
Old 08-26-2014, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Easy_C
It looks like it's probably a cheap copy of the Wrangler Dura Trac
The dura trac is a harder rubber - not so great when things hit -40 here in Edmonton. I'm told the companies in Fort Mac (even more harsh winters) love this new tire and are making them a requirement for their service vehicles.

What I like about these tires? They're a combo I've not seen before: softer rubber for cold climates (yet good wear rating for when it warms up), studded for sheer ice driving, mudder-like tread for deep snow, and siping for when the weather warms up and melts the ice.
Old 08-26-2014, 02:30 PM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by EdmontonCanada
What I like about these tires? They're a combo I've not seen before: softer rubber for cold climates (yet good wear rating for when it warms up), studded for sheer ice driving, mudder-like tread for deep snow, and siping for when the weather warms up and melts the ice.
You didn't look very hard then!

Super Swamper TrXus MT tires are all that. I found them to be most excellent ice/snow tires, very good in rain and mud, quiet on the street even when worn, good dry road manners and great traction at the track!

Mine were 33x12.5x17E... I didn't stud them but the holes were there. I went to Hankook Dynapro ATMs for cost and wear.
Old 08-26-2014, 03:53 PM

Oh, I've seen them before...but:

1. I don't see any Canadian distributor.
2. The site doesn't say you can stud them (unless it's on some other page) - and from the photo I don't see the stud holes.
3. The manufacturer says they're good on snow & ice but I don't see certification as winter rated - which is a legal requirement to be used in some (and soon to be all) Canadian provinces during winter months.

There's a difference in -40 °C ice (it's like glass, can't be properly bladed off, nor sanded successfully and ice-melt is ineffective) and the winter conditions of the USA.
Old 08-27-2014, 09:47 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by EdmontonCanada
There's a difference in -40 °C ice (it's like glass, can't be properly bladed off, nor sanded successfully and ice-melt is ineffective) and the winter conditions of the USA.
There are parts of the US that mimic those conditions- like where I live in Minnesota, or in North Dakota, and in the upper elevations of the Rocky Mountains. It doesn't last as long down here, but I experience ice every winter just like what your saying- when it's so cold even the salt won't melt it, the blades can't remove it, and they just can't keep up with enough sand.

I've only ever run a dedicated snow tire on my sports cars- but have been considering it more and more for the truck. Thanks for the info on those tires- it's good to learn about new and different options.
Old 08-27-2014, 04:12 PM

Good to know ,looks like an OK tire,but nothing for us dually trucks in a tall/skinny 33 inch size,my KM2 's are ending there life this year in Oct,,,, with 55000miles on them to date,i will not make it into another winter.I am always looking at better option like the Duratracs or something better than the KM 2's but they must be in an "E" rating tire,maybe some sipping .We are limited to sizing as the 255 80 r17 fill the well real nice and anything bigger is out of the question for me (fuel mileage drop). Cooper came out with ST Maxx this year in the 255's but they are still too new yet as to wear/tear/life.I'm off to Fort ST John/Northwestrn Alberta boarder in a few weeks to visit the folks and enjoy farm life before winter so i will put at least another 2500miles on these tires before fall replacement.I was quoted "out the door" price for 5 BFG KM 2'S 1645.00 CAN as i have a new unused KM 2 spare underneath that i will run now and keep the best used one for a spare .Black"Ultra Goliath Dually" rims have been are sitting for 3 years waiting new rubber in the spare bedroom(parts room).PS keep the options /info coming---CHEERS DW