3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Winch repair near Pittsburgh?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 12:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Winch repair near Pittsburgh?

Just like the title says. Does anyone know where they repair, and or sell winches. I am having some trouble w/ mine.
Old 02-08-2009, 12:48 PM

what is the brand or type of winch and what problem are you having?
Old 02-08-2009, 01:23 PM

Its a mile marker, hydro, 12000# model. I went out coyote hunting the other night and got stuck. Went to string the winch out and it wouldnt move. You could hear the motor running, but it wasnt extending. I thought that it was possibly froze. Hooked a buddys truck to to just to pull it out a bit. Once we pulled the cable so far it would go in and out fine. Extended the cable out far enough to hook on to a tree, and went to pull the truck out and nothing. The motor was trying to turn. It seemed like evrytime it was under load it wouldnt move. Well I finally got unstuck w/out the winch. I went to retract my cable and again nothing. The motor is not even moving. I hear nothing. This is the first time I have actually needed it and it didnt work. I am thinking of just taking it off w/ my bumper and getting rid of it. Thats if I cant get it fixed.
Old 02-08-2009, 07:44 PM

hell for what it needs you are probably better off buying another one. Have you checked the solenoid to see if its blown bieng that it won;t do anything anymore? Also pull it apart and check to see if the clutch is burnt up.
Old 02-08-2009, 07:49 PM

By "hydro" do you mean hydraulic? My electric one has an engage and disengage handle on it. Move it to disengage to spool out the line, then engage it to pull yourself out. Does your Hydro model have a handle to engage the clutch?

Hay
Old 02-08-2009, 07:54 PM

It should have the engage/disengage lever on the drivers side end, make sure you are taking the throw all the way into position. Also, the remotes have a tendency to have contact problems where you plug them in, use a little dialectric grease in the contacts.

CD
Old 02-08-2009, 09:04 PM

Got to thinking about a shop near Pittsburgh - I used to live north of Pittsburgh, near Indiana. There used to be a really GOOD hydraulic repair shop in Oakmont, they worked on jacks, winches, etc. I do not know if they are still there, lst time I was there was a good 10 years ago. Probably would be listed in the yellow pages. When I was referred to them it was by Dayton in RIDC Park. So, you could probably give Dayton a call to get their name, location, phone #. They used to do all the servicing and warranty repair for Dayton's jacks and winches. I don't know if they still do, but worth a shot.

CD
Old 02-09-2009, 01:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm sure you know this but since you said it was the first time you have needed the winch...

You should have two levers, one for high and one for low. If you had both the high and low engaged trying to extend the cable, the motor will try to run but will bind with both gears engaged and can be damaged. Sometimes the gears will not disengage fully if you try to switch them under load, so i always put both levers in free position and pull out some cable by hand to make sure its in free spin mode. If its stuck a quick forward and reverse with both levers in free position will get gears to disengage. Then hook it to the tree and with no load on the line, engage either high or low, and winch away.

If you have an electric remote with solenoid under hood, check connections. If your breaks/steering are working ok than pump should be supplying adequate hydraulic pressure. If it is the winch mine came with 2 year warranty on entire winch and 5yr on motor....

I have mine mounted in a portable carrier frame with handles and it is powered with a separate portable high flow hydraulic pump run off a honda 5.5hp motor. I can take this thing anywhere in any of our rigs, and we frequently carry it by hand to remote locations. I have pulled 100ft fir trees uphill across a site all day long with this thing after dropping it in the river and it never slowed down, never even got warm. This thing pulled circles around a 16k warn electric. I doubt you broke yours, good luck!
Old 02-09-2009, 03:00 PM

That makes me feel a bit better. I havent had a chance to get into it today. My power steering and brakes seem fine (knock on wood). I am just hoping it may be some corrosion, or something small. The bad thing about the warranty is that I bought the truck used w/ the winch already on it. I read the warranty info and it clearly states for the original purchaser.