3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Winch on a 3500 CTD

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 06:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Winch on a 3500 CTD

Quick question here- I want to get a winch for my truck, and I am looking at the Warn 16.5ti for my '05 3500 4x4 CTD Ram, but I was not really wanting a new bumper right now- in the future yes, but not right now. How can I attach the winch in the same manner as the power wagon? Is there ample space anywhere for the same install, or will I need an external plate mount to hook it on the frame? Just pondering ideas here, I appreciate any help.

Rattler
Old 04-27-2007, 08:17 PM
O.T

Rattler, I have a Warn 12500 mounted on a Road Armor winch bumper. The winch fits perfect and looks pretty clean. The mounting set up is basic, and seems to be strong enough for my use.
The only issue is the clearance between the winch and a/c condensor, Right now with the stock intercooler its OK like 1/8", thats with the bumper out as far as the brackets allow. However since I'm putting a BD cooler in and it is 5/8" wider, I made up some spacers to extend the bumper out. It still looks good, just exposes more below the grill.

I have pictures in my profile
onetun
Old 04-27-2007, 10:38 PM

I think the clearance issues was one of the reasons there is no factory cummins power wagon. If I had the dough Id get a front receiver mount and bolt the winch to a receiver plate. Then Id be able to winch from front or back, and lock it safely away when not in use!
Old 04-27-2007, 11:32 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Look at Warn or do search. Warn makes a 2" reciever you can mount to the frame, and then you can mount your winch to a plate or piece of c channel as I did. You can then install to either your front or back receiver. The winch (12500) and plate weigh about 130 lbs.
Old 04-27-2007, 11:39 PM

there was a new warn front receiver in the classifieds, I think its still 4 sale.
Old 04-28-2007, 07:26 AM

Alright, sounds as though I need an alternate route for this then. Should I be able to use one of the mounting plates and get it in, or are the intercooler and trans cooler going to interfere with that? It is looking like I am going to have to get a replacement bumper for this to work.
Old 04-28-2007, 08:58 AM
Banned

I believe it's bolt on.
Old 04-28-2007, 09:13 AM
Banned

Check the rating on those front receiver hitches before you slap a 12.5k lb winch on there and go get stuck.
Old 04-28-2007, 09:24 AM

I'm with Jrussell, when I was inquiring about the reciever mount winch, they wouldn't advise over a 10k winch. I would go for a solid mount even though it is more of a pain. Better safe, then watch your winch try to run away from your truck!
Old 04-28-2007, 09:26 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I prefer the big MileMarker hydrowinches for their duty cycle and durability.
Old 04-28-2007, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by RattlerSkin
Quick question here- I want to get a winch for my truck, and I am looking at the Warn 16.5ti for my '05 3500 4x4 CTD Ram, but I was not really wanting a new bumper right now- in the future yes, but not right now. How can I attach the winch in the same manner as the power wagon? Is there ample space anywhere for the same install, or will I need an external plate mount to hook it on the frame? Just pondering ideas here, I appreciate any help.

Rattler
I asked Warn about this same thing. They told me they have nothing available to help with this installation on a 3500. The PowerWagon winch setup was something Warn did special for that truck. I really would like to mount a winch hidden under my stock bumper.
Old 04-28-2007, 01:57 PM
Banned

I found two recievers for the 3500. Maybe I was seeing things, but one was Warn I thought.
Old 04-28-2007, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by SteveKrasnow
I asked Warn about this same thing. They told me they have nothing available to help with this installation on a 3500. The PowerWagon winch setup was something Warn did special for that truck. I really would like to mount a winch hidden under my stock bumper.
I'm intalling my new bumper and winch this weekend. I took the stock bumper off already. Trust me, there isn't enough room behind the stock bumper for a winch. The only reason it fits back there on a Power Wagon is the PW runs a hemi. No intercooler. Sorry
Old 04-28-2007, 02:58 PM
Banned

Hidden Hitch, Curt, Reese etc. Some say “no drilling necessary”, some don’t…. http://www.etrailer.com/products.asp...=Dodge&t1=&h=e http://www.trimascorp.com/towing.htm
Old 04-29-2007, 12:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think the clearance issues was one of the reasons there is no factory cummins power wagon. If I had the dough Id get a front receiver mount and bolt the winch to a receiver plate. Then Id be able to winch from front or back, and lock it safely away when not in use!
I'm with Jrussell, when I was inquiring about the reciever mount winch, they wouldn't advise over a 10k winch. I would go for a solid mount even though it is more of a pain. Better safe, then watch your winch try to run away from your truck!
Look at Warn or do search. Warn makes a 2" reciever you can mount to the frame, and then you can mount your winch to a plate or piece of c channel as I did. You can then install to either your front or back receiver. The winch (12500) and plate weigh about 130 lbs.
I posted a question about "Heavy Duty Winch Bumpers" a few weeks/months back. I received a lot of information and opinions (thanks everyone), after that I did an extensive research, which included “hands on” bumpers and winches and a visit to a couple of heavy duty bumper factories. All of this information brought me to a fundamental conclusion:

If the truck is so front heavy (Cummins over 1K#), what would the benefit be installing a heavy duty bumper that can carry a 16.5K Warn winch, if the total weight (bumper 210# winch 130#) is going to sink the truck nose in.

As mentioned on the above posts...for the mighty heavy Cummins (again IMO), if stuck, the solution is to install a front hitch receiver that can support a 12K to 15K cradle winch.
This receiver will have to be strong enough to carry the front up and use it in the back receiver if needed.

FYI, this bumper concept is being built as I am writing, if interested, stay tuned for information and photos when they become available.

Quick Reply: Winch on a 3500 CTD