3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Will Smarty kill the Cat?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 09:58 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dont make a test pipe, they sell one from mbrp here at the dtr store, stainless steel just like the rest of your system, and its a slip fit install. did mine last christmas, the pipe is cheap, and if you are careful, you can completely save your cat and pipes. i saved mine, but dont know why i did, like i got a warranty anyway!
Old 09-14-2007, 11:38 AM

Location: My head lays down in Murrieta, but the day light hours are spent in San Diego, Ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Connotaucarius
Oh JPR Ram...,

Gotta love those Dunes! Never made it to Glamis but, I have some fond memories of Pismo beach (ok, Oceano Dunes).
Yeah, it's a blast........ Just about done with my TRX motor. First trip of the season will be at the end of October. I almost can't wait. Been "jonesing" way to long.

And as for the gutting of the cat, yeah probably not a good idea damaging the high dollar items. I stand corrected. But if it were me, I'd at least eliminate it.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:54 PM

I now conviced myself the Smarty will definatly kill the Cat.

This morning I was rinsing off the truck and I got a little water in the exhaust pipe. What dribbled out can only be described as black goop. Yup, water and soot mixed together.

There's no way the cat can burn all that soot before more gets loaded into it.

Time to say good bye to the kitty.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:57 PM
trx

better good bye to kitty than goodbye to smarty
Old 07-05-2010, 10:51 PM

Well, I got my California registration form and it said I needed to get a smog cert. No problem, I bought a new set of stepped 4" band clamps and put the old cat back on. I took my time and ground down the alignment tabs on the old exhaust. All in all, it took about 3 hours.

Using the Smarty, I put the stock program back in and passed the smog cert without a problem. The mechanic asked about the pretty clamps on my exhaust and wanted to know if i did anything to my Cat. (ya right, like I would tell him).

Anyway, it took 45 minutes from start to finish to put the MBRP test pipe back in, put the Smarty program back on level 7 and reset the tire size again.

Time to take the big dog out and let 'im eat!
Old 07-06-2010, 10:33 AM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Connotaucarius
Now there's the answer I was looking for! Thanks.

I would delete the Cat but, I know it's only a matter of time before my state will require smog checks. Also, I don't want to void any warranties yet.
Removing the cat woll gain you a whopping 2-4 rwhp per numerous posts with guys who dyno'd their trucks before and after. A freer flowing muffler will help. Smarty's been on my truck for 25,000 miles now. No problems.
Old 07-06-2010, 11:13 AM

Straight Pipe!!! Sounds nice rolling about 85 down the highway!