3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

why not the tst cr??

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2005, 09:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
why not the tst cr??

i dont understand why more people dont run the tst box, i have the edge stacked now and my friend which i compare to all the time runs the tst and works me everytime, low end and or highway speeds, i had the tst also but thought id try the new edge juice,found that felt like it didnt have the torque that i was used to so i tried stacking it which helped but still not like the tst in my opinion the tst rules in every way for pulling had nothing stronger, so my question still exists why arnt more people using this box???? any opinions are welcome.
Old 04-13-2005, 09:43 PM

I'm a little fearful of Turbo and trans issues myself. Self control is not one of my strong points. I was debating between the Quad race box and the TST. I went with the Quad because I didn't have an Extra $225 for the TST. If the price difference had been smaller I would probably have the TST instead. So far The Quad has been great.
Old 04-13-2005, 09:58 PM

I personally believe most people just want a "little extra" and are afraid of hurting something. The TST has been known (thru user inabillity to control themselves ) to tear up parts ie: turbo's, tranny's...
I also think people figure they won't be able to use it all (without major upgrades) so why have it.
I have had the selfcontrol to at this point atleast to not do anything more than slip my clutch a little. I like the abillity to be able to grow with it and not be looking for something else down the road although I have stacked an Edge EZ with it for bottom end response.
Old 04-13-2005, 10:32 PM

The tearing up stuff is probably the biggest reason. At first I bought the Edge EZ instead of the TST because I thought, "Hey, 70 hp is all I need, and it won't tear stuff up", but now after getting the TST, I should have gone that way first. I do have self control though. I don't turn it up past 5/3 until I get bigger clutch, turbo, and pusher pump.
Old 04-13-2005, 11:47 PM

its what i thought who ever has tried the tst loves it i guess the cost is more and the install sucks but when its in there there is nothing of its kind, the fueling is smooth, egts are in controll as least with the new boxes and i can run 6/5 no problem so far, i wanted a box that could keep giving me more when i do the upgrades to handle it thats why i chose the tst. thanks for everyones input.
Old 04-14-2005, 10:42 AM

and the install sucks
The install is a piece of cake... boy, some of us 3rd Gen guys sure have gotten spoiled with the "plug it in and go" abilities of some of these boxes. Talk to the guys who used to swap injectors, re-time pumps, change out springs and cam plates, etc. and try telling them that plugging in a couple of wires is a hard thing to do.
Old 04-14-2005, 11:47 AM

I'm torn between the qzilla and TST. I like the idea of being able to grown with the TST box but like how easy it would be to take the qzilla off before bringing the rig in for routine maintenance.

If I can hold out with the EZ for another few months, it will be the TST & either a B1-4 or Twins.
Old 04-14-2005, 11:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I went with the Juice/Attitude first and the Xzillaraider Race next instead of the TST because of the following:

Afraid of wiping out 48re or turbo or head gaskets, etc. The install for the 600 to convert the wastegate from electronic to manual or pressure was the thing that really stopped me. I just wasn't ready to completely throw out the warranty.

I am going to try the HOT Juice/Attitude setup next. Hopefully I get the 48re upgraded in the next month or so.

After the trans can handle the hp/torque I may switch to the TST and wave bye-bye to any thoughts of warranty repairs. Of course then I need a turbo upgrade and head studs and .....
Old 04-14-2005, 12:15 PM

For me, it's simple, I didn't want any thing too radical, and because the tst is known to come on very hard and throw codes. I have yet to read about the new quad box throwing a single code and everyone agrees it's a very smooth box.
Old 04-14-2005, 02:27 PM

I just wasn't ready to completely throw out the warranty.
And somehow you're preserving your warranty with either a Juice or an Xzillaraider? Read the little white decal on the side of the engine breather cover again...

As far as the head gasket, that's not true. The TST isn't what would make you upgrade that (or put in studs)... that's strictly a function of the amount of boost you can make. The fact that the TST is probably the only box that can drive your boost (with appropriate turbo or turbos) to the levels that would require studding isn't a fault of the box - rather just it's potential. I ran a TST for over a year, with a single charger, wastegated at 40psi, and never gave one thought to blowing a head gasket. The TST was set on 5x5, an EZ on level 4 for bottom-end, and the truck put down 500HP without a hiccup.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not saying you should run a TST... it's just that your reasons for not running it seem to be grounded more in FUD than fact.
Old 04-14-2005, 04:43 PM

i love the tst, but if you have nop self control you will be buying a turbo sooner then you think, anyone have ideas on the best turbo out there now
Old 04-14-2005, 06:47 PM

I love my TST . Wouldn't trade it for anything . I really like the fact that there is always more there once you get your next project done weather it be injectors , pusher pump or twins like tom , your truck isn't gonna out grow it. And you didn't waste your money in the first place . As for the install it's fairly easy to follow instructions and look at pictures
http://www.tstproducts.com/index.asp...on=Custom&ID=4
Old 04-14-2005, 07:41 PM

The TST is now smoother than ever. I have been running a TST for over a year and the first program was very strong and did come on hard.

I had my box reflashed and now the power is very smooth. At first I didn't like not having the fuel come on instantly but now I have learned to appreciate TST's hard work to smooth out the power.

The power is still there but now you must turn it up a few more levels to have the instant fueling.

The level that I usually run is 2/2 with a little pressure from the EZ. This is still plenty of power for everday driving. The upper levels are for play.

TST is by far the best bang for your buck with the built in gauges and defueling setup.

Great Customer Service too.

Brandon
Old 04-14-2005, 08:33 PM

When I was looking for a box, all I could find on the TST was on web suites like this and most were recommending several upgrades to use the box. Also, I never found a web page that even showed the box, explained the operation and/or modes of operation, and no hints as to what was involved in installing the box.

The Juice/Attitude was easy to find, so were the instruction manual and installation instructions, and I wanted to use the Attitude for the gauge functions.
Also, the built in protections so I could run the box with everything else being stock.
Old 04-14-2005, 08:46 PM

451Mopar,

http://www.tstproducts.com - click on the box, read all the info., then click on the link for the installation instructions.

Granted - that wasn't online a year and a half ago, when the TST first became available (that was back when Edge was still claiming "two more weeks", and well before they blew off the 03/04 crowd entirely).

Also, the built in protections so I could run the box with everything else being stock.
TST includes those, as well. In fact, you already have those. It's your right index finger. If you DON'T push the power level up too high, you won't blow things up. Just like on the Juice... if you DON'T disable the back-off, you won't blow things up. You have a choice, either way.

Quick Reply: why not the tst cr??