3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Why do our 3rd gens SURGE when cold?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 10:42 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Your truck runs at idle in 3-cylinder mode when it's that cold!

You're lucky - most of us never get to experience that...
Old 01-30-2008, 09:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You may have got a bad batch of fuel. I just drove back up north, from picking up my new truck. All of sudden on the highway it started to shake like a tire blew. pulled over checked tires they were fine. Opened the hood motor was shaking like it was missing. If I gave it a little more gas would go away. Added some conditioner and new fuel and filter, Seems to be fixed. My parents filled up the next day, same place exact same thing happened to them. it was cold that day about -37C Fuel must have been gelling up. Sorry for the long post
Old 01-30-2008, 10:55 PM

How do the Ford guys make fun of you...their trucks dont start for crap when its 10 above, let alone negative anything!!
Old 01-30-2008, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by sallyman1
What causes our 3rd gens to SURGE when cold? Is it cold air intake? Is it running on 3 cylinders? Is it because we have modules or programmers that effect stock timing/fueling? My truck is a 2004.5 . i live in canada and right now its -49 celcius where I live. Why does it surge? People with fords and duramaxes laugh because it sounds like **** when idling? Sometimes truck actually shakes? Sounds like it has HP cam in engine.
I think you said it yourself.....

ITS -49 CELCUIS WHERE YOU LIVE!!!!! ! ! !

J/K Hay
Old 01-30-2008, 11:31 PM

My 03 does the same thing when its below 0 also. The temp was -35c here the other day. Did it before any mods to the truck. Grid heater is off, have change fuel filter, fuel pressure is 10psi at idle. Once truck is driven and its really warm doesnt do it. Just the first start up. And why would anybody want 3cylinder cut out, its only to save fuel. When the cylinders arnt getting fuel it makes no heat in them. Detroit Diesel had this option on there hiway trucks for this reason when idle lots. I have no interest in idle it, 0 miles to the gallon.
Old 01-31-2008, 10:28 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by han solo
My 03 does the same thing when its below 0 also. And why would anybody want 3cylinder cut out, its only to save fuel.
Doesn't matter if you want it or not... if it's cold enough - you've got it! ECM's been programmed with the cold-temp 3-cylinder idle...
Old 01-31-2008, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by XLR8R

Interesting, I did'nt know our third gen's would do that. I wonder just how cold it has to be to make the 3 cylinder idle come on? I've started in the mid 20's below zero and hav'nt seen it yet. However, I'm usually plugged in for at least a few hours beforehand.
Old 01-31-2008, 11:40 AM
Banned

What causes our 3rd gens to SURGE when cold? Is it cold air intake? Is it running on 3 cylinders? Is it because we have modules or programmers that effect stock timing/fueling? My truck is a 2004.5 . i live in canada and right now its -49 celcius where I live. Why does it surge? People with fords and duramaxes laugh because it sounds like **** when idling? Sometimes truck actually shakes? Sounds like it has HP cam in engine.
Sallyman- where are you located- its not in your sig.
Old 01-31-2008, 01:29 PM

Only VP trucks have 3 cylinder idle, not CRs...and its not a matter of saving fuel, its to warm it up. In theory, youve got 3 cylinders receiving fuel, and those three are moving six pistons. Thus putting more load on them and creating heat...its not for extended idling, just when its cold enough.
Old 01-31-2008, 01:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 'strokeThis_'07
Only VP trucks have 3 cylinder idle, not CRs...and its not a matter of saving fuel, its to warm it up. In theory, youve got 3 cylinders receiving fuel, and those three are moving six pistons. Thus putting more load on them and creating heat...its not for extended idling, just when its cold enough.
sorry for the NOOB question-but what is a VP vs CR engine? I assume that our 3rd gens are a CR.....?
Old 01-31-2008, 01:44 PM

My truck is a stock 2005 and it surges (when at high idle) when weather is about 40F or below. It is not the fuel filter (or fuel) and air filter. These were replaced recently and it still surges (sounds lopey). I was informed by a Chrysler employee who is an instructor on Cummins diesel (been doing this for years) that it is likely (in my case) injectors or possible CP3 pump. He mentioned the heater grid is not the culprit (in my case).

I think it is something we have to live with until it breaks (hopefully while under warranty). Who cares what the Ford and Chevy folks think.
Old 01-31-2008, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by Mlucas
sorry for the NOOB question-but what is a VP vs CR engine? I assume that our 3rd gens are a CR.....?
CR= Common rail (3rd gens)
VP= The type of injection pump used on the 24 valve 2nd gens (VP44)
Old 01-31-2008, 05:40 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It shouldn't lope... but then again that is COLD... I know that some of the older cummins marine engines (fully mechanical) will lope when its cool out until they warm up. But its a smooth lope.

It could be the fuel heater cant keep up, or isn't working... My truck is smooth as can be when cold, but haven't had it below 5*F...

What oil are you running?

Do you have an exhaust brake? That would help the warmup process.

Originally Posted by cbrahs
is it right after you start it? our trucks cycle the grid heater for a couple minutes and they have glow plugs.
No glow plugs in a cummins, hence the grid heater.

Originally Posted by XLR8R

no it doesnt, thats a VP44 feature (98-02 24V), not a CR (03+) feature....
Old 01-31-2008, 06:27 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by 'strokeThis_'07
How do the Ford guys make fun of you...their trucks dont start for crap when its 10 above, let alone negative anything!!
Ditto on that! My neighbor was hunting in Utah at a high elevation in cold weather and reported that the Ford's had a heck of a time starting! The newer Dodge's fired right up!
Old 01-31-2008, 08:12 PM

My truck does the samething and it bugs the crap outa me. I can't find the problem I took it to the dealer and all they said it is my cold air intake.. But I don't think that that is the problem because there are a lot of guys on here that have the same problem?

Quick Reply: Why do our 3rd gens SURGE when cold?