3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Why do I keep blowing fuel rail pressure senders with Quadzilla pressure boxes?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 05:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
went thru 2 harnesses on 2 differen boxes
Old 04-03-2009, 11:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've only blown one sensor out that was because I was powerwashing the engine(really washing) and I got water in it and it fried. Only one problem in two years, I cant complain.
Old 04-04-2009, 01:52 AM

I had mine go out the same day I installed the Gauge. Another one installed and all is good. Coincidence? Seems to work fine now, but was a little weird it happened the day or install. Either way, I'm not complaining because it’s working for now.
Old 04-04-2009, 12:31 PM

I still want to get an answer to my original question. What makes you guys think the rail sensor failed?

Was it simply because it had a code or what?

because I was powerwashing the engine(really washing)
You are not supposed to powerwash ANY engine. If you need your engine cleaned take it a a truck wash and have them STEAM it. Pressure washing can do all sorts of damage whether it is stock or you have other stuff plugged into it. You can even fry the ECM doing this.

The plugs that they use on the engines are weatherproof. This means in every day use, water spray and moisture will not get through. You put pressure behind it, nothing is 100% water proof.
Old 04-04-2009, 12:36 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had a Cummins man suggest something like Simple Green and regular garden hose pressure. He did not recommend power washing. I know I power washed my wife's Lexus's engine....caused all sorts of heck.
Old 04-04-2009, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by qzilla
I still want to get an answer to my original question. What makes you guys think the rail sensor failed?

With mine I had two codes high and low voltage. First I tried disconnecting the X2 and nothing changed. When I went to pulg it back in and I found a little moisture in connection of the rail sensor. Went over to the parts house and got a new sensor put it in and hadn't had a problem since.
Old 04-04-2009, 10:42 PM

lol..lol...its the rail gauge itself. believe me when i say i went through 3 rail sensors in 4 weeks last summer. right after installing quad rail gauge.i then unhooked it and voila. 9 months on same rail sensor. i phoned quad. they laughed at me and hung up. i emailed them and they said rail sensors only last a few months.????if you ask me quad sux *****
Old 04-05-2009, 08:59 AM

i washed mine with a water hose and simple green, left hood up out in the sun,for 6-8 hours. started truck, ran fine setting and idleing, went down the road and bucking and jumping all around the rpms, had to drive under 40 mph to guy to read codes, it was the rail pressure sensor(500.00 at ***********). no more washing engine...
Old 04-06-2009, 02:08 AM

It would be really cool move if Quad would let us return our gauges as long as we ship them our broken $400 rail pressure sensors. That would be alot better customer service then being hung up on
Old 04-06-2009, 06:49 AM
tcr

Originally Posted by buzzinhalfdoz
i washed mine with a water hose and simple green, left hood up out in the sun,for 6-8 hours. started truck, ran fine setting and idleing, went down the road and bucking and jumping all around the rpms, had to drive under 40 mph to guy to read codes, it was the rail pressure sensor(500.00 at ***********). no more washing engine...
Did you check the plug on the RP sensor(2 wires into center hole, is it sealed)? I sealed mine and have been fine ever since. I would NEVER pressure wash one of these trucks though. A sensor can be had for 120-150.00.
Old 04-09-2009, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by qzilla

In my case it was your fuel rail pressure gauge that was the first indicator that the sensor was bad. The pressure readings would be erratic, anywhere from 0 to 27,000 psi. I also got codes for high and low fuel rail pressures. The truck would also run like crap, and stall out a lot.

After each sensor failure I've run my truck for weeks without your pressure box, with no problems. Within minutes of re installing your pressure boxes (Xzilleraider and the X2), the rail pressure sensor goes bad.

I've had no issue with the fuel rail pressure gauge, it's just your pressure boxes that have been giving me troubles.
Old 04-09-2009, 10:38 PM

the rail pressure sensor goes bad.
OK, I guess I don't know how I can explain what I am trying to ask.

What is it that makes you KNOW they are bad. If you install everything back to stock is it fine? Does it throw codes? What codes are they.

Erratic readings can be lots of things like a loose wire, loose connector etc.

On the Rail Pressure gauge side of things I can assure you that there is no possible way on this planet that being tied into the signal line only can hurt a sensor. Once again it is like sticking a voltmeter on the wire.

This is not my opinion, it is FACT. It is just not physically possible.

Now, the X2 does connect into the power and the ground of the rail pressure sensor. If you have something going on with either the box or the harness it could possibly have an affect on the sensor. I have seen trucks that do not have a strong enough 5v system to support anything else connected to them.

In your case, I don't know because I am not there and I cannot touch the truck.

What I do know is that if the sensor is really failing, then something is obviously wrong. We have over 10,000 of the X2 or X2 style boxes out, maybe closer to 20K?? If they regularly hurt rail pressure sensors I think you would hear about it a lot more. That is just not the case.

Once again, the Rail Pressure gauge cannot possibly hurt or affect the sensor and I can prove that 100% without question.

It would be really cool move if Quad would let us return our gauges as long as we ship them our broken $400 rail pressure sensors. That would be alot better customer service then being hung up on
How do you know it was not your MP8? It connects to power, ground and breaks the signal to the rail pressure sensor. The rail pressure gauge simply taps onto the signal.

Now regardless of what happened, know one here should hang up on you. With a couple of exceptions. If you are talking to one of my girls and you are being snotty, rude, inconsiderate or using foul language, then they have my permission to drop you like a sack of potatoes. My girls will not put up with that.

One of the guys, different story although I seriously doubt being rude is helpful.

If you will PM me who you talked to and when, I will rectify this problem. All of our phone stuff is recorded so I can go back and use it when stuff like this comes up.
Old 04-11-2009, 04:18 PM

I set three codes when my rail pressure sensor failed. I wrote them down, but I don't have my truck with me right now. Two codes where for high and low rail pressures, and I can't remember off the top of my head what the 3rd code was, but it related to the fuel system.

With the first two sensors, the truck ran like crap, with or without the pressure boxes on. The truck would knock, and the rpms would take off. The rail pressure would eventually drop to zero, the truck would stall and not start or run, leaving me stranded on the side of the road. However after a couple minutes I was able to get the truck started again, and it ran good enough to get home with the truck literally stalling out as I pulled up into my driveway.

With both failures I closely inspected all the connections, and tried many times stock, and with your pressure boxes. The truck ran the same with or without the box.

The third failure was slightly different. I hooked up my brand new X2 box with the race pressure tune in it. I got two acceleration runs in before once again experiencing the same symptoms as before. I pulled over checked all the connections and removed the x2 box. I couldn't get the truck to start, and saw no rail pressure. I tried to reinstall the x2, but this time when I inspected the plug on the fuel rail harness I noticed that one of the female pins was pushed up into the connector. I fixed this, but the truck would still not run, I then installed the x2 box again it ran, but had a very lopey idle (it sounded very cool thou). I was able to limp the truck home. This time I only got one code for low fuel rail pressure

In all three cases installing a new pressure sensor immediately solved the problem, and the truck runs flawlessly until I reinstall one of your pressure boxes. I am however starting to experience some smoke at start up, and my idle isn't as smooth as it once was. I believe I may now have a bad injector or two.

Carl
Old 04-11-2009, 04:40 PM

lol. its the quad. i cant figure out why but it is. soon as i install it i get fuel codes and the rail sensor goes out. i got a supposed new updated rail gauge from them that has new software in it. im yet to instal it. ill see and post wha i find out.