3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Who wants some low end GRUNT?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2005, 12:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Who wants some low end GRUNT?

I know I do I'm tired of this thing feelin like a dog from idle to 2000 RPMs.

Alrighty, down to business. I've got a EZ and I like the power it gives me, just not where it applies it. I've been looking at the TST but have heard that the new program does not have near as much low end grunt that the old ones did. And this is where you guys come in.

1) I've heard that stacking the EZ with the TST provides more low end, but I don't see how. I don't know about your EZ's but mine doesn't add much power till 2000 RPMs. Maybe Tomeygun can shed some light on this for me. If it does provide more low end, this may be the trick for me.

2) Another option that I've been considering is the TST Twins program, kept on a low setting mind you. This should provide more than enough low end fueling, right?

3) The last option, get a standard TST and maybe a VA 3.1. This is the least feasible of the options, considering that I'd have to get two new boxes and sell an EZ. However, this seems like the best combination I can think of, putting the low end fueling of the VA box together with the mighty power of the TST.

So what do you guys think? Also I will be upgrading the TC and VB before any of this takes place.

One more thing, I've learned so much from this site and TDR that would have been impossible otherwise. Keep up the good work
Old 05-12-2005, 01:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The VA C3.1 will give you nice low end grunt. It starts adding additional fuel just off of idle, producing 200ft lbs of additional torque by the time you reach just 1700 RPMs. It will definitely wake your truck up.

Look at the immediate torque rise compared to stock on this dyno chart (via VA's web site):

The three lines at the top are torque stock, VA on 50%, and VA on 100%.
Old 05-12-2005, 06:32 AM

I've heard that the Bullydog downloader has one helluva low end, and then stack it with the easy and WOW!
Old 05-12-2005, 10:15 AM

Along with the fueling box, you might also consider a Turbo Air Guide (TAG-III). Directing the air straight into the turbo with the TAG-III will help the turbo to spool quicker and provide more air for combustion through out the boost range. A nice enhancement to the fueling box to help achieve your goal.
Old 05-12-2005, 11:25 AM

AK Ram - That was why I was considering it. I knew that it supplied most of its power in the lower RPMs. Does it stack nicely with a TST?

Carolina Thunder - Yeah, I heard that too. I have thought about gettin' a downloader but they scare me . I don't like the idea of completely removing the program that is in my truck right now. And with the new findings coming out that the downloader doesn't reinstall YOUR stock program, but one that they put on the box. Some people have complained about lower power and other things after they went back to stock. But I am open to opinions. I do like the idea that it smokes .

So, anyone with a powerpup got anything to say? Does it have a good low end? what about stacking it with the EZ? Does it have good results?
Old 05-12-2005, 05:37 PM

I am currently stacking the Va C3.1 with my TST and love it. In more ways than one. I can use my cruise control, I no longer have the spiking the EZ had and the power is felt on the low RPM bands. I really can't tell to much on the middle setting but on the high setting the truck really wants to take off. I still have not dyno'd the two together, but at the drag strip I dropped a 14.4 et @ 93.3mph. Not to bad for the heavy beast.
Old 05-12-2005, 06:09 PM

I just put a juice on my dads 05, compared to my TST (the first one one on a 600 to date) it doesnt have the hard pull and haul a$$ power like my TST but it does come on earlier from off idle than my TST does. Also I have stacked the EZ with my TST and it adds WAY more response from about 1000-1100 RPM and up. I think that the juice EZ combo will give you a ton more bottom end.
Old 05-13-2005, 10:45 AM

Thanks Goodys1ton, that might be what I need to do then. I didn't even think about this, but if I get a VA I can turn it off from inside the cab, right? That way when I'm goin for mileage, cut the VA off and TST on 1-1. Anyone want to trade a VA 3.1 for an EZ?

mattymac, thanks for the response. I still want to hear a little bit more about this stack. Any drivability issues, such as the cruise surge?

Any other responses appreciated. I still have not really made up my mind. Oh, and what setting are you all running the EZ on while stacked?
Old 05-13-2005, 11:08 AM

I hear that VA is in the works on a duration/timing box.
This would be the ultimate way to go.
More fuel and timing to burn it and keep the EGTs down.
Old 05-13-2005, 02:42 PM

EZ and no low-end? Once my turbo spools at around 1200 RPM my truck cooks the tires like crazy. before the EZ it wouldnt do that.
Old 05-13-2005, 03:47 PM

When I first put it on, I didn't really notice much down low (I've left it on lvl 3). Once I hit about 1800, I can feel it starting to add more fuel. However, once it hits about 2000, it pulls like crazy until redline. Since I spend most of my time around 1500-1900 (about 50-55 mph), I don't feel much power. The only thing I feel is my wallet gettin lighter. My mileage dropped by about 2 mpg, about 3 if I play any on that tank.
Old 05-13-2005, 10:13 PM

I have the bddl and tst with the bddl set at 90hp and the tst at 2 and 2 . Im lovin this set up lots of low end grunt and plenty of top end.
Old 05-14-2005, 12:37 AM

I guess I'm just gonna go with the TST and EZ stack. Thanks for all the replies guys.