3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Who is using propane for extra mileage?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 04:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Who is using propane for extra mileage?

Who is using propane for extra mileage? Would you tell me real number increases and what type of a system you use. Not concerned about torque or HP gain since my truck has plenty of power already. I am interested in reasonable propane system that gives miles per gallon increase that pays for the system quickly and is easy to use and maintain. Thanks!
Old 03-09-2008, 04:49 PM

I don't know who would be using it for mileage.

Diesel 139,200 BTU per gallon
Propane 91,500 BTU per gallon

You need to get the propane pretty cheap to save any money running that stuff. And once you amortize the cost of the additional equipment and installation, you really need to get the propane cheaply.

BTW, propane prices tend to track heating oil prices, which influence diesel prices. It's tough to see a win with propane.
Old 03-09-2008, 05:06 PM

ok well those numbers dont mean much. propanes BTU isnt why we dump it in our oil burners, propane works as a catalyst for the diesel fuel. as far as real world numbers... i havent done any testing with it. im working on a HHO system for mpg but its a complex system so itll be awhile before i have some numbers.
Old 03-09-2008, 05:55 PM

Real world numbers. I would love to see those. Does anyone have them?
Old 03-09-2008, 06:27 PM
Muted User

It's a wash since you have to buy the propane kit and buy the propane so even if you did see a 2mpg increase you really wouldn't be saving any money. If it was the answer more people would be doing it. If you got the propane free or nearly free it might be worth it.
Old 03-09-2008, 06:53 PM

I have been playing around with it since last summer. I quit using it this winter, didn't want to mess with it in the winter, was a good choice worst winter in 30+ years. I say between 1-2 mpg difference @ 5psi w/0.40 orifice. I built my own system less than $100.00, comes on @ 3psi turbo boost really makes the motor quieter and smoother. I found anymore LP was a waste and actually decreased mpg, but really increrased power. I have been following the HHO thread and they are having the same findings. I have a couple more things I want to do this spring and see if it makes a difference.
Old 03-09-2008, 07:49 PM

HHO? As in hydrogen, hydrogen, oxygen? If it is what I think it is, electrolysis of water to provide hydrogen and oxygen will not result in any net gains. If it did, it would violate the first law of thermodynamics. Physicists, correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 03-09-2008, 09:55 PM

TreeFarm,
Here is the thread https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...ad.php?t=81058 a lot of information and sub-websites within the thread, read and see what you think.
Old 03-10-2008, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by DiezelSmoke
TreeFarm,
Here is the thread https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...ad.php?t=81058 a lot of information and sub-websites within the thread, read and see what you think.
Thread's way too long to wade through.

There is no free lunch. If this stuff really worked, it would be standard equipment on all diesel vehicles, and it's not. PT Barnum would be proud of the folks actually selling this stuff.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by TreeFarm
Thread's way too long to wade through.

There is no free lunch. If this stuff really worked, it would be standard equipment on all diesel vehicles, and it's not. PT Barnum would be proud of the folks actually selling this stuff.
So many things over the years that have been documented to increase power and efficiency, that would create a thread longer than the one mentioned. OEM's have always been behind the ball in adding these improvements, let me list a few: Tuned intake & exhaust, larger more free flowing exhaust, more free flowing intake piping, injectors, on and on and on. I won't disagree that most of the things in that thread are Hocus-Pocus but to make a blanket comment as you did is as irresponsible as the false claims made by others.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by DiezelSmoke
So many things over the years that have been documented to increase power and efficiency, that would create a thread longer than the one mentioned. OEM's have always been behind the ball in adding these improvements, let me list a few: Tuned intake & exhaust, larger more free flowing exhaust, more free flowing intake piping, injectors, on and on and on. I won't disagree that most of the things in that thread are Hocus-Pocus but to make a blanket comment as you did is as irresponsible as the false claims made by others.
You brought up the HHO stuff. That's what the comment (and the thread you referenced) is about. I said nothing about intakes or exhausts. And there is still no free lunch.
Old 03-10-2008, 10:02 AM
Muted User

Your all looking at this from a fuel mileage increase side. Your not seeing it from an OEM side. Free flowing exhausts are fine if your not under the heavy hand of the EPA or CARB. Free flowing intakes have also shown to not filter as well. It's not a free ride. OEM's are not stupid, yes the do stupid things but most things are they way they are for a good reason. Whether it's good for you or them is another matter. If by simply adding any of these products is the total free answer to all problems it would have been done. It's like those stupid inline fuel things like the "turbo3000" or "Fitch fuel catalyst". If diesel engine MFG's could increase their mileage just by using this dumb little pipe and put them WAY ahead in the competitive world of on-road diesel engine MFG's and help them sell millions of engines and parts don't you think they would have already done it? Why this doesn't come into mind when people are entering their credit card #'s while ordering is beyond me. I guess the old saying "a fool and his money are easily parted" is proven true daily. I guess these little backyard companies know more than Cummins, Cat and Detroit Diesel who spend billions and billions trying to be on top.

The only things that seem to increase fuel mileage that are not obvious (such as driving slower or less rolling resistance) won't pass emissions standards that the OEM's have to abide by. (injectors, fueling boxes ect.....)
Old 03-10-2008, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Jfaulkner
Your all looking at this from a fuel mileage increase side. Your not seeing it from an OEM side. Free flowing exhausts are fine if your not under the heavy hand of the EPA or CARB. Free flowing intakes have also shown to not filter as well. It's not a free ride. OEM's are not stupid, yes the do stupid things but most things are they way they are for a good reason. Whether it's good for you or them is another matter. If by simply adding any of these products is the total free answer to all problems it would have been done. It's like those stupid inline fuel things like the "turbo3000" or "Fitch fuel catalyst". If diesel engine MFG's could increase their mileage just by using this dumb little pipe and put them WAY ahead in the competitive world of on-road diesel engine MFG's and help them sell millions of engines and parts don't you think they would have already done it? Why this doesn't come into mind when people are entering their credit card #'s while ordering is beyond me. I guess the old saying "a fool and his money are easily parted" is proven true daily. I guess these little backyard companies know more than Cummins, Cat and Detroit Diesel who spend billions and billions trying to be on top.

The only things that seem to increase fuel mileage that are not obvious (such as driving slower or less rolling resistance) won't pass emissions standards that the OEM's have to abide by. (injectors, fueling boxes ect.....)
\

The Guy asked a simple question and gets a beating, (Who is using propane for extra mileage? )
Old 03-10-2008, 05:13 PM

The problem is that the is so much bull out there that , those that do not know will not believe anything , so they put anything new down .
Propane has been used for a few decades , mostly in semis , for some of the stated above , it burns the diesel better , smother running , cleaner burning [ cleaner burning makes for a longer lasting engine ] , as a result a little better millage .
Read the post clearly , ADDING FOR MILLAGE ? , not a breaking the laws of physics , or total replacement , or huge millage gains .
Old 03-10-2008, 05:57 PM
Muted User

Originally Posted by AlCorr
\

The Guy asked a simple question and gets a beating, (Who is using propane for extra mileage? )
No, as you aparently missed in post #5 I addressed the propane question. The other post was addressing post #9 and any other fuel mileage increasing snake oil that was brought up or was going to be brought up in later posts.

Thanks

Quick Reply: Who is using propane for extra mileage?