3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Who is running Thuren 3" front coils? Or should I go with Carli?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 12:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Who is running Thuren 3" front coils? Or should I go with Carli?

I want to replace my 2" front spacers, and I'm looking for feedback on Thuren's 3" coils. (I like the fact that Thuren's are linear, and I already have his track bar and end links.) My biggest concern with Thuren's coils is that they might lift the front end too much. They are listed as a 3" spring, but it sounds like in reality they lift the front end over 3.5". So who is running them, and how much total front lift did you end up with? Pictures would be great.

If I don't go with Thuren's; then I will be going with Carli's. It sounds like they give a consistent 2.75" to 3" lift.

Either way I've got to lift the rear end up some too; so maybe a little more front end lift doesn't matter? The max tire I ever plan on runnign is a 34" (285/75/17), and right now i just have 33's on it (285/70/17).

Any feedback would be appreciated. Currently the truck has a 2" front spacer, 1" rear block, Bilstein 5100's, Bilstein stabilizer, '08 T-steering, Thuren track bar, Thuren sway bar links, and Kore bump stops.
Old 10-31-2010, 04:38 PM

Don Thuren had me use Carli's Coils and dual purpose leafs, his King shocks, towers, track bar, end links and bump stops. His coils and Carlis were so close in design that he just uses them for his 3" lift.
Old 10-31-2010, 05:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You might also take a look at KORE coils. I just added some to my truck and took out the HBS 2'' spacers. There are some new pics in my gallery that will show the lift, but I have a 400lb bumper and winch too. I like it so far. I think the KORE coils are less expensive as well but I can't tell any difference based on pics alone.

Old 10-31-2010, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by TexasCTD
You might also take a look at KORE coils. I just added some to my truck and took out the HBS 2'' spacers. There are some new pics in my gallery that will show the lift, but I have a 400lb bumper and winch too. I like it so far. I think the KORE coils are less expensive as well but I can't tell any difference based on pics alone.

Just curious, how much lift did you gain in going from the 2" spacers to the Kore coils?
Old 10-31-2010, 08:32 PM

Call Don since you are already a customer. The set-up he put together for me came with Carli coils from Don as said above. Call him and let him know what you want and he will fit you to your needs.
Old 11-01-2010, 08:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by PaulG
Just curious, how much lift did you gain in going from the 2" spacers to the Kore coils?
It's kinda hard to tell because I didn't measure it before hand. IM going to guess about a half inch to an inch. It definately lifted it a little. I think the ride is improved as well......but the kit added new shocks too.

Old 11-01-2010, 07:24 PM

Talking

I called and talked to Don today, and I decided to go ahead and give his coils a try. As for the ride height, he said that after they settle in I should be right at a 3" lift. Apparently the first batch of these springs he did ran about 3.5" in height, so he has reduced the height of the springs by about 3/8" to get them closer to a 3" lift. Unfortunately he is out of the springs right now, but the next batch should be done in about three weeks. (FYI for anyone sitting on the fence about ordering a set; once the next batch arrives the price of the springs is going to go up by about $50.)
Old 11-01-2010, 07:30 PM

I've got Don's 3 " coils in the front and his mini leaf pack in the rear. Measurement from the ground to the body line right behind the front wheelwell and right in front of the rear wheelwell is identical. Dips in the road that would bottom the stock springs don't faze these springs. I'm also running Don's 2.5 kings with stage 3 valving.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:56 PM

I got some Carli's, will be putting them in Sunday, taking out my 2" spacers.
Don told me the same thing, they settle in after a moth or 2 and should be right around 3" when they do.
My front is an inch low with my min 10 pounds in my air bags so these should level it up nicely.
I'll post before and after pics when done.

BTW, Don's springs are $290, Carli's are 440.