3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Who makes the best truck topper???? ARE or Leer?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2004, 08:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I looked at several canopies, and ended up with an ARE as it seemed to have some moderate insulation due to the way that it's built, and I didn't hear any bad comments. I've been pleased with it so far, the only problem being some adjustment to the latches so that the rear window closed easily and solidly with a light push on the handle. Previously I needed to sometimes push on one of the edges to get both latches to close.

A co-worker wasn't at all happy with his Leer and said not to get one.
Old 04-28-2004, 08:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree on the comment concerning the arched roofline of the dodge trucks. The toppers that are flat on top look odd next to that round roof! I don't care for the 100XQ. It looks good on Chad's truck though! I like it cause it is a black truck. But there is way too much glass on the 100XQ for me. It becomes distracting on lighter colored trucks.

I keep hearing bad stuff about Leer. And not anything bad about ARE. You know what that means.......

I am intrested in SnugTop as well but there is no dealers in my area.

I appericate all the feedback on toppers. I would love to see some pics of crew cab short beds with ARE toppers. Especially red ones!
Old 04-29-2004, 01:07 AM

Raiders are built in Moose Jaw!! You could visit the plant (and me!) And then tell everyone you've been to Moose Jaw!!!!
Old 04-29-2004, 09:08 AM

Papaperk,

What bad things have you heard about Leer Caps? My last one spent alot of time on the beach for surf fishing and still looked new after 6 years.
Old 04-29-2004, 09:09 AM

Yes, but then you'd have to admit you'd been to Moose Jaw!
Old 04-29-2004, 09:22 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the ARE with the hatchback and I love it!!! If you want pics. PM me.
Old 04-29-2004, 12:10 PM

ARE is not a good choice

Try Glastite raven or raven hirise.
I have had in the past 5-6 tops and ARE was crap for me!!!
I have a Glastite and love it.
Others I was happy with but not ARE!
Mine went back 3 times and was damaged each time I got it back from shipping.
1) paint was comming off and the door would not function lik it should.
2)Same problem with the door and window on front came loose
3)They replaced the door and said the top was cut out to much along with the sides and replaced it with a different door to take up the room.
Also fixed paint.
They wanted me to pay shipping!!!
After the last time a few weeks later the sky light glass came out going down the road and I had to pay for that. They will not talk to you and do anything after the sale! Ask to trade for a new one and was told No not even if you pay 50% of cost!!
That Is fact and what I had happen to me.
Jon
Old 04-29-2004, 06:10 PM

I started with a snugtop XV - special ordered. I was not happy with the fit to the bed. Looking from the front the bottom lower corners of the shell extended out past the cab. It looked realy bad.
I finally had the dealer take it back after Snugtop admitted it did not fit correctly.

I then special ordered an ARE Z series. Fit and finish was great. The only problem was the color (bright silver) match. The dealer returned it to ARE with my fuel door as a color sample. They sent me a "new"one - color match is great.
Old 05-01-2004, 12:25 PM

Astro

I have a Astro cap on my 2004 ram.Very good quality and paint match.coobie.
Old 05-01-2004, 03:10 PM

ARE

I have had an ARE topper on my truck for a few years and have loved it. I have had absolutely no problems whatsoever. The paint matched perfectly and I like the style with elevation so water will rum off. I also like having the lock mechanism in the back of the truck. Less chance of rust and keeps the smooth lines of the topper. Mine cost about 1K a two years ago and that was installed. Great warranty. It sounds like both Leer and ARE are great products with great reputations.

Doug
Old 05-01-2004, 03:15 PM

I've been supplying a fleet account with Ram 1500's and A.R.E. caps for six years. Absolutely no problems. They're fussy with color and only accept orders with the paint code AND VIN.
Old 05-02-2004, 12:33 PM

I have an ARE - here's my two cents:
1) the paint match is perfect.
2) skylight doesn't like cold weather - it shattered into little bits, fortunately the dealer I bought it from supplied a replacement ($30) glass no charge to me.
Given the option to get a skylight I would have preferred to not have one - shatters and they can leak (the replacement one I put on had a small leak - fixed it with silicon).
3) windows sealing from the ARE factory isn't the best - again the dealer took out the side windows and reinstalled it with lots of sealer. Much better.
I've since put a roof rack on top and drilled the fiberglass - no problems so far.
One of the reasons I went for ARE was that they are pretty solid - some of the less expensive caps look like they'd collapse if you put a canoe on them and went out into the back country on a rough road.
What's really important no matter which one you get is buying it from a good dealer that will take care of you...
Old 05-03-2004, 12:20 AM

Caps

Can anyone tell me how your truck ride was compared with and without the caps , I would like to smooth out my ride a bit on the concrete hiway and wonder if the cap would help at all ?
Old 05-03-2004, 09:33 AM

Most caps weigh between 180 and 200 pounds. On my old 1500, you could really feel the difference. On my current truck, the difference is very small.