3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Who has a power pup?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2005, 07:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Who has a power pup?

Alright guys,

I am tired of racking my brain over what mod will suit my needs. I would like a mod that will provide good power when I want it, but daily driving it will provide overall economy fuel mileage increases. I DO WANT THAT POWER TO BE THERE and BLACK SMOKE when I need it!!!!!

Who is running the power pup? Pros/cons?

Any suggestions before I invest some money. I am not interested in doing tranny or turbo upgrades anytime soon....

Guages (Pyro and boost) are in the mail!

Any help much appreciated!
Old 06-03-2005, 08:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Most guys like the power pup that have it. They definitely seem to put out the power they advertise, or close to it. Not sure about the Crazy Larry. The only downside is if the dealer looks hard enough, he can see that you've reprogrammed the computer, and it will likely affect your warranty status, if that's something you care about.

I would suggest the quadzilla xzillaraider for performance, ease of install, and smoothness, however you won't get tons of black smoke - they are pretty clean burning. I question why you want so much black smoke - all you're doing is spouting money out your tailpipe with unburned fuel... Do you really want to make your truck inefficient just to blow smoke at people?
Old 06-03-2005, 08:18 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I was going to post about this too. I was going to get one, but am kind of skeptical now. I have been seeing alot of owners putting them up for sale, basically saying "going in another direction". Kind of made me think twice now.

Two questions I do have, does this thing still eliminate the high idle flash and throw the code for the SKIM module? Based on Lightmans post, I guess if these codes to get thrown, the seed mat be planted for them that you did something..

Thanks..
Old 06-03-2005, 08:23 AM

I am not sure about the high idle flash, and the last I heard the skim code was there but the skim key still works. I was simply referring to the fact that the dealer can see the last date the ECU was completely reflashed. For example, when I had the high idle reflash done, they put a little sticker in my engine compartment with the date, tech name and tsb/reflash number, which of course is backed up in their computer system/service history as well. Most likely they wouldn't check this during a normal visit, but in the case you did have an issue that required major warranty repairs (and you intended on getting DC to cover it), they might see the reflash , check the date, and start asking questions..
Old 06-03-2005, 08:29 AM

I have the power pup and it works as advertised. I did a lot of looking before I bought the pup on other boxes. I liked the idea of the timing, duration, and pressure all being used to obtain the power increase. Towing mode has a nice pick up and is what I have the truck in the majority of the time due to the 48re. I have ran the performance mode on and off and it makes a lot more power by the seat of the pants meter. I can feel that the performance will make the tranny slip in lockout mode at low rpm's. I tried the extreme once....and if smoke is what you want you will have it here. The truck smoked heavily in the driveway when I hit the throttle in park.

I like the ability to clear the CEL codes and the PTO function works...but isn't user friendly. I use the cruise control high idle feature, but for 6spd owners is a way to get the high idle cheaply.

The con is that it isn't adjustible without the outlook on the fly. I have also read that there are problems with the outlook and it isn't a true adjustment on the fly. What I understand is it just limits the amount of throttle the truck gets in the mode you are in. If you want a set it and forget it upgrade this is a good choice.
Old 06-03-2005, 11:31 AM

Thanks for the information.

The reason I want a good box ...with the SMOKEEE'n capabilities ...is because ....I am addicted to the smell of CETANE!!! Ha ha ha ..just kidding ...It is one of those things that if you want it ...it is there to enjoy!

Anyone had experience with fuel economy gains?
Old 06-03-2005, 04:50 PM

I see better milage (1-2 mpg) when I have one of the programs in if my driving habit are the same as they were when in stock mode. I use stock mode mostly when I go 4 wheeling to keep the strain off the drive train.

Extreme mode will make opaque smoke if you put your foot into it. You can control it with your right foot. All modes make smoke. It depends on how dense you want to make it. I see you have some of the same BOMBs I have. Extreme will slip your clutch if you are not careful.
Old 06-03-2005, 07:54 PM

Anyone else have any comments on the power pup?

and Ronsrig...how has your temps been with the power pup since you and i have a similar set up on our truks...

How does the adjustable TS Ramifier 100 compare to the power pup? pros/cons?

Thanks yall....
Old 06-03-2005, 09:10 PM

I have the power pup also and think it is great. I run it on the performance setting which is 90 hp. I have to say that it is a nice increase over stock. I do not like the 130 hp extreme setting very much.

I have also just stacked with the power pup , the TsT module. With the power pup on the 90 hp performance setting and the TsT on level 3/3, This thing is just mind blowing -- Every time I drive it I have to get into it a bit b/c it is out of this world. And my truck is STOCK except for the muffler which is a 51" Nelson 86131m.

Seriously, If I were you I would get the powerpup. It is a great product and easy to use.
I was just ready for more power when I added the TsT PowerMaxCR.
Old 06-03-2005, 09:12 PM

I have had mine since last November and have no complaints. The only bad thing is having to wait while you download a new setting. But other than that its awsome.
Old 06-04-2005, 12:20 AM

I too have a BDDL and have it stacked with the TST. It is AWESOME!! The best setting with my limited testing seems to be the BDDL on 90 (performance) and theh TST on 5x5. With this combination, I can't break 1400*F with the B1-04.

I also have a VA3.1 pressure box that I have added in the mix as well. It seems to help the low end a fair bit. With all three stacked, the best setting seems to be BDDL on 90, VA on 50% and TST on 4x4. This combination nets about 1450*F at WOT with the B1.

I am going to play with my wastegate on the B1 a bit to see if I can get a bit higher boost from it. I max out at about 40psi, and then is creeps down to 35psi or so at WOT. I am going to use the TST boost elbow to see if that makes a difference, or else I have a boost leak somewhere.
Old 06-04-2005, 05:44 AM

i run the pup with the new version of the ramifier,the power play and i love the perfromance and the way it runs....
Old 06-04-2005, 05:57 AM

when I got my power pup I tried it by itself I was not that impressed with the tow and perf. settings,extreme was to much , then I stacked the power pup on tow setting with a predator stage one and it is great.
Old 06-04-2005, 08:32 AM

had a problem with mine, called bullydog, they overnighted me a new one, everything is now. it will make ricers

Quick Reply: Who has a power pup?