3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Who has MBRP Cool Duals with no cat on a 3rd gen?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2006, 10:16 PM
Chapter President

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Who has MBRP Cool Duals with no cat on a 3rd gen?

I am wondering how loud the cool duals are on a 3rd gen with no cat. I currently have 4" single exhaust with no cat, and a high flow muffler turned so that the exhaust gas go over top of the notches, and not into them. Does the MBRP dual muffler have the holes in the muffler facing the rear like on their single systems or are they facing the front to catch exhaust gas? Does anybody have a sound clip? I'm guessing the one on the MBRP site is a truck with a cat, since it is a cat-back system.
Old 05-25-2006, 10:30 PM
Chapter President

I have them. The muffler is the same as yours. Turn it one way for a quieter ride. Turn it the other way for louder. I never tried the quieter way but I like them loud. Yes, they are loud. You don't notice it inside but the neighborhood kids tell me how loud it is and how cool it sounds. My folks were driving behind me the other day and my pop, who is a OTR truck driver, asked if I ever get pulled over and ticketed for the noise. I also have a e-brake. Reason, he has with some of his rigs and he said mine sounded louder than those he got tickets with. I guess wrong place, wrong time. I wanted stacks but the wife said no, TOO REDNECK! I gave in and am happy with the cool duals.
Old 05-25-2006, 10:38 PM
Chapter President

Thanks for the reply. I was under the impression that the Y pipe for the duals was mounted permanently to the muffler so there was no turning it one way or the other. I am a dealer but I have not yet sold or installed a dual kit. The one for my truck should be here tomorrow tho. I was just sittin here at work bored and wondered which way it was turned. I know on the single kits, the instructions say to mount them so that the air goes over top of the louvers, not into them.
Old 05-26-2006, 02:08 AM

I just installed the cool duals on my truck today. You are right in the fact that the y is welded to the muffler. The only trouble I had was the rear pipe on the drivers side, it was too long and I had to cut the end off to fit. Other than that I am very happy. I know its quieter than the flo-pro I just took off. I'll try to take some pics tomorrow.
Old 05-26-2006, 11:36 AM

its all good-
did you have a Flo Pro dual exhaust or single? I am going to install a Flo Pro dual exhaust with a 5" Aeroturbine muffler on it, do you think it will be loud? I just dont want it to drone or be raspy.

thanks in advance
Old 05-27-2006, 02:13 AM

WUnderwood

I had the single on my truck. I thought it wasn't too loud but my wife did. The drone wasn't to noticeable. And yes it was kind of raspy.

Aloha
Old 06-01-2006, 10:01 PM
Chapter President

I got my Cool Duals with two T5052 tips put on last Friday. It was very easy to install. I was finished in about 45 minutes. I am impressed with the difference in the sound. It is amazing how much deeper it is than any other 3rd gen I've heard. The only thing I don't like is not being able to turn over my B&W gooseneck ball. I'm going to make a plug to go in it so I can take my ball out and keep stuff from falling through the bed floor. Everything around here is either straight piped or has a banks kit on it. I'm glad to say I'm the only truck around here with them. Smoke coming out both sides must be more intimidating. There were 4 young guys in an 06 quad cab 6 speed (I saw them the night before and knew it was a 6 speed) with a straight pipe behind me at a red light this weekend. I turned on my quad and took off hard enough to blow some smoke but slow enough that they could keep up. I even slowed down so they would get beside me but they wouldn't come out from behind me.
Old 06-02-2006, 12:42 AM

i installed the duals also when i pulled my 32' fifth wheel it was a bit noisey but other wise ok, i couldnt turn the muffler around either, what i did was cut the resonator out of my factory tialpipe 06 mega cabs, and put it in just before the muffler and now it is perfect no drone at all and still loud when you get on it. i have pics in my photo gallery
Old 06-02-2006, 09:21 AM
Chapter President

I wanted my muffler to be the direction it was, with the holes facing the rear. Mine's not too loud for me. It's the quietest vehicle I own.