3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Where's Buddy?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 07:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If I am going to have to buy a PMT for a $1000 to get custom tunes then I will just get a smarty and a stack for the same price.
Old 03-12-2008, 11:47 PM

Ok so I am lost. So the BDTD is not obsolet but does not support high end tunes.

You yanked Crazy Larry for what reason? It seems to me you take away the big HP tune from the BDTD and then start pumping up the new PMT. I do not understand this move one bit. I get the fact the PMT can do so much more both hardware and software. I just dont get making the TD a lesser product than what it was. Buddy please help explain man! Lucky for me I saved my V2.4.D

I have been a loyal BD supporter and beta tester but I have to say man this is leaving a bad taste in my mouth.
Old 03-13-2008, 12:56 AM

yeah this is gonna suck, I know a few guys around here that want to buy my bully dog but for cheap. I'll use the 200 bucks they give me for it and go with a Smarty. I know it's not you fault buddy but I really don't think some of the head guys really care about us that still have the triple dog?? They are gonna have to ay least give me a very good rebate to even consider to go with the PMT.
Old 03-13-2008, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by Kman9090
yeah this is gonna suck, I know a few guys around here that want to buy my bully dog but for cheap. I'll use the 200 bucks they give me for it and go with a Smarty. I know it's not you fault buddy but I really don't think some of the head guys really care about us that still have the triple dog?? They are gonna have to ay least give me a very good rebate to even consider to go with the PMT.
... but if you already have gauges on your pillar where would you put it?
It's a pretty big unit...
Old 03-13-2008, 07:04 AM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by soulezoo
FWIW, and maybe not much, that is what is nice about Quad X2 and the Adrenaline... it is a box (as opposed to programmer), but downloadable from the net via USB... like a programmer.

Exactly why I went with the X2/Commander combo. Updatable, adjustable on the fly and there are already lots of good pressure SW's from Quad for Smarty stacking when I get to it. After borrowing a Smarty, I was hooked....so, I set out looking for an adjustable on the fly option for a Smarty stack. Plus, one gauge that measures RP and FP along with all the traditional parameters....nobody else does that either. I really wanted a PMT. I liked the features and the future it was holding *but* with poor performance on 03-04 trucks and waiting forvever for new SW downloads to change that, I eventually gave up. Still no dates or target times for some decent 03-04 SW's had me concerned that I could still be waiting a very long time...it was time to move on.
Old 03-13-2008, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by RunninLean
Ok so I am lost. So the BDTD is not obsolete but does not support high end tunes.

You yanked Crazy Larry for what reason? It seems to me you take away the big HP tune from the BDTD and then start pumping up the new PMT. I do not understand this move one bit. I get the fact the PMT can do so much more both hardware and software. I just don’t get making the TD a lesser product than what it was. Buddy please help explain man! Lucky for me I saved my V2.4.D

I have been a loyal BD supporter and beta tester but I have to say man this is leaving a bad taste in my mouth.
RunninLean thanks for your support 2.4.D is one of the best Crazy Larry Versions yet glad you’re still running it.

I don't think you guys under stand what I'm trying to say here. I have spent a lot of time in the last five years at Bully Dog making custom tunes for people. All the time I have people ask me questions like I really love the Crazy Larry V2.?.? , but could I get it with a little less timing so I can spray? Etc. The result of that is Scary Larry works on this truck, but not that truck. 2.4.D works well on this truck but not that truck. So I have been looking for a way to solve this problem as well as allow for that fact that each truck is different.

Currently, none of our products, including the PMT have a higher setting than extreme. So I am not telling you that you are missing out by not having a PMT. I can not tell you why Crazy Larry was temporarily discontinued ( It is proprietary information). What I can tell you is we are a lot bigger company than the competitors are, and that we need to take steps now to ensure we can continue to offer high performance race solutions for a long time.

When the race tuning comes back, I will take what we’ve learned so far on all of these beta tunes and write a new Crazy Larry for the Triple Dog. It will just be what is has always been a one size fits all application. The thing that will be different is when someone wants a little less timing or more fuel I will have the PMT as a solution for that. Honestly, the guys who want the little tweaks like that are running sled pullers with 20,000 dollars plus in the engine alone. I don’t think the PMT is a big concern when you have that much $ in your truck.

Originally Posted by Kman9090
Kman9090 the head guys do care. Bully Dog is still owned and run by the three brothers that started this company back in 1999. They love what they do and have done an excellent job in growing this company to what it is today. Some business decisions are just tough ones, but they still have to be made.

Originally Posted by Fisherguy
... but if you already have gauges on your pillar where would you put it?
It's a pretty big unit...
Hey Fisherguy,
Thanks for all your support.
Actually it will fit into a standard round gauge pod, so you could put it on the existing gauge pillar. If you already have gauges and you’re happy with the triple dog, then I would say stick with what you’ve got. I swear we are not trying to push everyone into purchasing one of these. We will, however, continue to develop better and better products in the future.
Old 03-13-2008, 11:30 AM

i know its not u on the choices being made bud your a grunt just like me we are giving a mission and you exicute that mission. i love the features of the pmt and apprciate the fact we have access to you when need.. but i have some plans to hit the dyno circute when they start up and i need to have the best tunes i can get and right now its the smarty plain and simple and i am hoping that you will get the tweaks worked out in the new programs so that i can use just my pmt, our hobby is their busness i also understand that and to grow a company in a market like this you need to be sure what you give the people is not only the best tune but a safe on as well finding the middle ground is hard just like banks we or most of us bash banks since they dont make to much power but they are a very safe company to run. I just hope that it wont take to much time for bd to relese what we are waiting for and i hope that like said above they work with the guys to bring them into the new PMT. Very few of us have the money or means to build a sled puller and i just hope bully dog does not lose its grass roots being us guys running on the streets and move more toward those that only build sled pullers. sorry this is so long but i dont want bud to think we are bashing him persay just that we dont want to be forgoten, i dont know anyone on here personaly but if anyone of you needed anything i know i would do what i could to help and that is why i am into this hobby its almost like we are family in some weird way. so keep up the good work bud for now i will be running the smarty but i will be waiting for the tunes to come from bully dog. dont let them forget us little guys....
Old 03-13-2008, 11:32 AM

Buddy this is what I was looking for thanks! If they are going to bring back a high end tune for the TD then i am good just sounded like extreme was going to be your only option for the TD. I have been one of the lucky ones with 2.4.D I have run several people with like or more mods then me and they walk away scratching there heads wondering why my truck runs so much better.

I do have one small hicup with it but its intermitten and willing to live with it untill something better comes along.
Old 03-13-2008, 11:38 AM
Banned

I hope to see adjustable tuning. Whoever comes out with it. Once its out, i dont think a duramax will have a chance.
Old 03-13-2008, 11:41 AM

82NDSNPR thanks man and I won't let them forget you guys.

RunninLean glad I could help.

I will let everyone know when the custom tune stuff is ready for prime time. We are shooting for end of May or begining of June.
Old 03-13-2008, 11:48 AM

No problem Bud!

Unfortunately unlike many people on here I don't have an unlimited supply of money to invest in my truck, hell, it's not even paid off yet! I've got other things to do first before I rush out to get the latest and greatest programmer, things like levelling it, shocks, chrome 2008 H2's and 315's, new fuel system, rear air bags and Air Lift controller, would like to upgrade to leather seats, a new SB clutch for Crazy Larry etc etc.

Like I've said, I'm happy with what I've got with the BDTD, I can load up the truck and trailer and hit the biggest hill to the interior of BC in 6th gear, what's not to like about that?

It'll take me at least another year of over time to get my list of mods done, I'm gonna wait to see what Bud and the bros. at BD come up with and there's always fishing gear to buy and/or a new trailer!
Old 03-13-2008, 04:42 PM

Smarty on the Way

I couldn't resist all the "WOW" about the smarty and bought one to try out. Guess I will store the BD away for awhile till BD comes up with something new and improved. Big Thanks to Buddy, I know he does what he can or is allowed and it is appreciated. My TD will be waiting for you but in the mean time I will see what I can tear up with the Smarty. DD here I come!
Old 03-13-2008, 07:37 PM

Hey Buddy,

I understand that you can't give Triple Dog owners the ability to custom tune maps using the Triple Dog due to the hardware limitations. But, why not give us a software program we can use on the PC to custom tune the maps prior to uploading them to the Triple Dog?

If that's not possible, it would still be nice to be able to select between a couple of preset rail pressure maps via the Triple Dog. Also, a waste gate disable option would be a great addition to eliminate the need of a boost fooler.

Thanks!
Old 03-14-2008, 12:10 AM

End of May beginning of June? Yup looks like I am defiantly going with Smarty Half of our pulls are in May and June. I will keep the bullydog and see what you guys come up with. I just wish you guys could maybe hurry it up a bit but I am sure this programming is hard. I have always loved my bully dog and alot of people I know run the bully dog but they aren't looking for more power and 4000 Rpms' like I am. They are mostly just street trucks that like to blow some smoke. Us race and sled pulling guys are always looking for more power.
Old 03-14-2008, 12:12 PM

MegaBOMB I will pass your suggestions along. I would like to keep some functions like that on there as well.

Kman9090 thanks for the support and sorry we're not faster. I know the season is comming up and I'll be going as fast as I can.

Quick Reply: Where's Buddy?