3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Where is my fuel mileage??? HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 10:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is more to fuel mileage than low rpm.

Big heavy tires with an aggresive tread have a ton of rolling resistance.

I've only got 295s on my truck and lost about 2mpg. Like was mentioned, the Toyos weigh a ton. Mine are almost 75lbs a piece.

I'm burning through mine and going back to something lighter.
Old 01-23-2009, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by SundayMoney
There is more to fuel mileage than low rpm.

Big heavy tires with an aggresive tread have a ton of rolling resistance.

I've only got 295s on my truck and lost about 2mpg. Like was mentioned, the Toyos weigh a ton. Mine are almost 75lbs a piece.

I'm burning through mine and going back to something lighter.
X2

I just installed the new Hankook RF10's in a 285 and they look great, ride great, and so far are wearing great, but: I lost right at 1-1.5MPG for sure. These tires are well built and they are more than 12lbs a piece heavier than the 265's that were on. The tread is somewhat aggressive compared to what was on the truck as well. Can't have it all. Oh that mileage decrease isn't quite as bad with highway driving, but it is still close to 1mpg for sure. Like posted above, it takes more to keep them rolling and then you have the wind resistance and all that other stuff.
Old 01-23-2009, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by Dan Marino
Not to be a party pooper...but I dont believe anyone - I mean anyone - when they tell me they get above 20mpg on any third gen. 2003-up. Im not calling them liars Im just using 10 3rd gen trucks I am around and none get more than 20 - hand calculated. These range from stock to 800 horse.

Call me an idiot or whatever you like but I just dont believe it.
Come on a trip with me on the highway I can get 22 all day long! Granted thats at like 65 slow lane getting passed like I am standing still!!! That is with the Quadzilla on the 60hp setting.and not using cruise!

Eric- can you give the stock tires a try...
Old 01-23-2009, 10:46 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Modding the truck for fuel mileage is like throwing money out the window. The only thing you get by modding the truck is a lighter wallet and alot of fun towing and driving. My truck if very enjoyable to drive, towing etc..... Reality is, if you want fuel mileage, get a sacrifical car.....
Old 01-23-2009, 11:31 AM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I have had as high as a consistent 23mpg... hand calc.

Enafzige: twins will not help your mileage either. I have had 3 different twin sets now and none of them had any effect on fuel mileage one way or the other.

My best mileage was with stock tires, stock injectors-- basically stock everything but twins and smarty. Smarty brought me up about 1.5 mpg. Probably has to do with the increased timing curve.

Putting on 150hp injectors lost me about 2 mpg. Empty driving like a granny on the hwy at 65 mph I get about 20-21 now on average.

But there sounds like something else is amiss here to get that low of mileage.
Old 01-23-2009, 11:45 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My best ever was 24.5 mpg a few years ago. And that was with a very early SMARTY program (3.07) set to level 5 and using low sulphur diesel.

MikeyB
Old 01-23-2009, 11:58 AM

my 37's are 122lbs 18 to 19 mpg put 46k on them sold them to my buddy and he put another 8k on them and they still look good. I think he can get another 8k out of them. 35's are 119lbs get 18 to 19mpg only have about
12k on them almost look new still. I use these for winter and sled pulling, 33's are about 78lbs get about 16.5 to 17.5mpg I have about 18k on them there is about half tread on them. tire weight includes the rim.
Old 01-23-2009, 12:12 PM

As was mentioned earlier....all the guys saying they're getting 20+ mpg all have early 04 and earlier trucks. With the 04.5 and up you'll be hard pressed to get 19 and that's at 65mph and below.
Old 01-23-2009, 12:16 PM

Injectors?? Seems like '06s have there share of injector problems. Guy at work has a '06 that has always gotten horrible mpgs, even on the overhead. Finally 3 injectors got replaced and the overhead now reads 19mpg (of course off, but better than the 14mpg before)

Tobin
Old 01-23-2009, 12:27 PM

So why in the world does my early 03 5 speed grandad get 15-18 mpg?
03.5 48RE get 13-15? Both are completely stock. Both have 3.73. both are running 245's 60 PSI with aluminum wheels. Oil changed 3500 miles, air filters every six months... They are both completely stock(did I say that already?) They run between 60-75 highway.

I have another 03 5 speed that Im running a Predator downloader on and it gets 18.

Now for the RED DEVIL thats a different story I bet its only getting 10 to 12 but Ive never hand calc'd it. No need to. Bigger horses need more hay...dont people know that?
Old 01-23-2009, 12:28 PM

Geez, why all the hate and disbelief? I can get right around 24MPG in my 2004.5 almost every tankful. Yes, hand calculated.

It seems like we all go over this on a monthly basis. Lifted trucks push more air, especially with leveling kits. Big tires use more energy to turn at any given speed, and use far more energy to get to that speed.

Throw in some towing mirrors, mudflaps and a lead foot, and mileage is crappo.

Let's not forget that all of these trucks are different in personality. My truck takes to mods differently than others, period.

I have an extensive spread sheet on my mileage for all my vehicles. When I change things, I see how the mileage trends over the next few tanks.

The funny thing to me is that the original owner of my truck sold it because the mileage was crappy. Go figure.

But call me a liar because I report good mileage, and I'll be more than happy to demonstrate to you that my truck can pull the numbers I report.

I plan on using the knowledge I have gained and am gaining to further my mileage numbers. And yes, I use the truck hard when needed. It seems to like an occasional flogging.

garrett
Old 01-23-2009, 12:33 PM

Nobody is calling anyone a liar. Your truck is the exception, not the norm. I'll bet 90% of 04.5 and up trucks get 20mpg or less.

garbri, just curious as to how many miles do you get per tank?
Old 01-23-2009, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by garbri
Geez, why all the hate and disbelief? I can get right around 24MPG in my 2004.5 almost every tankful. Yes, hand calculated.

It seems like we all go over this on a monthly basis. Lifted trucks push more air, especially with leveling kits. Big tires use more energy to turn at any given speed, and use far more energy to get to that speed.

Throw in some towing mirrors, mudflaps and a lead foot, and mileage is crappo.

Let's not forget that all of these trucks are different in personality. My truck takes to mods differently than others, period.

I have an extensive spread sheet on my mileage for all my vehicles. When I change things, I see how the mileage trends over the next few tanks.

The funny thing to me is that the original owner of my truck sold it because the mileage was crappy. Go figure.

But call me a liar because I report good mileage, and I'll be more than happy to demonstrate to you that my truck can pull the numbers I report.

I plan on using the knowledge I have gained and am gaining to further my mileage numbers. And yes, I use the truck hard when needed. It seems to like an occasional flogging.

garrett
Re-read the post - I'm not calling anyone a liar - I just dont believe you
Old 01-23-2009, 12:44 PM

whoops didnt see this...
AirDog 100

still dont believe it.
Old 01-23-2009, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Dan Marino
So why in the world does my early 03 5 speed grandad get 15-18 mpg?
03.5 48RE get 13-15? Both are completely stock. Both have 3.73. both are running 245's 60 PSI with aluminum wheels. Oil changed 3500 miles, air filters every six months... They are both completely stock(did I say that already?) They run between 60-75 highway.

I have another 03 5 speed that Im running a Predator downloader on and it gets 18.

Now for the RED DEVIL thats a different story I bet its only getting 10 to 12 but Ive never hand calc'd it. No need to. Bigger horses need more hay...dont people know that?
With my truck, the milage I see at 60 is about 3-4 mpg greater thatn at 75.

Quick Reply: Where is my fuel mileage??? HELP!!!