3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

where to mount pyro in pre turbo install?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2006, 11:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry had a brain fart! My mind was thinking cylinder #4 but my fingers insisted on typing #3 cyl. I really did mean the rear 3 cylinders...which yes is 4-6, So to rephrase my previous comment...drilling above cyl #4 to trend #4-6 cyl or tap 1-2" above turbo on rear 3 cylinders?

And to clarify for those still confused the cyliders go from 1-6 starting at the front of the truck and going back to the firewall..meaning #1 is at the rad and #6 is at the firewall.

The next thing is that I don't want to drill 2 holes, I only want one pyro so would it be more accurate closer to the turbo or closer to the exhaust ports? Obviously there should be a slightly higher temp at the exhaust ports...or would there?
Old 03-21-2006, 12:03 PM

That was the exact same question that I was wondering. I am sure that the temps are higher at the ports but I think they will be accurate enough at turbo. Years ago I worked for a well driller and the stationairy diesel on the rig would turn the exhaust cherry red. Interestingly the turbo turned red then the exhaust manifold.
Old 03-22-2006, 08:32 AM

Ok, I had a good chance to go out and size things up under my hood last night. I have now decided to install the pyro approx 1.5" up from the turbo on the rear cylinder divider. I looked at #4cyl and noticed two things, the first is that it will be tough to get a drill onto it there (an angle drill may work) the second is that it doesn't look like it will read #5 or #6 accurately at the same time so you really would just be reading #4 (or whichever cylinder you chose to install at). It does appear that each cylinder's exhaust runner is fairly inderpendent of each other and the only good way to get a good average trend of the rear 3 cylinders would be to install it above the turbo. It also looks easier to get a drill at it in this spot.

My next question is that I keep noticing pyro probes that have a 90° bend in it...is this a special probe purchased this way or is just that people bend their probes for better fit? I don't want to bend my probe if it is going to damage it....
Old 03-22-2006, 10:40 AM

Yep..I also checked it out last night as I am finally getting around to install my edge/attitude..and once you take off that plastic inner fender cover, you have a straight shot right to the turbo/exhaust manifold flanges...just mount it right where the other guy in the picture did an you'll be golden

Not to jump off topic..but i was looking at where the the turbo bolts up to the manifold and should there be 4 nuts holding the turbo on? The two bolts closest to the fender have 2 nuts on it, then the back two look like they are threaded through the manifold flange?
Old 03-22-2006, 10:55 AM

I believe the 2 studs closest to the fender have the nuts on top and the 2 studs closest to the block have the nuts on the bottom.

The only thing I am going to do different than the photo is drill to take a reading from the rear 3 cylinders as I have heard they run hotter generally.
Old 03-22-2006, 11:12 AM

wow i didnt even think twice when i looked at the picture...how it shows his are reading 1-3...ya definatley heard also 4-6 run hotter..good luck when ya drilling?
Old 01-10-2008, 09:30 PM

who knows where to drill. all semi trucks i work on have it after turbo. I think a n14, detroit series 60 and c-15 are all bigger than the 5.9 cummins. ill have to look it up and see if they are. if the c-15 has less HP than the 5.9 cummins cat better do some more research.