3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Where to mount amateur/CB on an 03?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2003, 10:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to mount amateur/CB on an 03?

I have a Galaxy DX66V which is a pretty big radio. I don't have any clue where to mount it. I would prefer not to drill but I'd rather drill and put in a good location than not drill and put it somewhere annoying Got an automatic so that should make things easier depending on where it's going to go. PICS A PLUS!
Old 10-27-2003, 04:14 PM

Re:Where to mount amateur/CB on an 03?

Looks nice but won't work for me. My radio is bigger and also the face is not detachable. Anyone else?
Old 10-27-2003, 04:43 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

That cubby hole down on the right below the radios is going to come out of my truck and a custom ABS mount for my Cobra is going there. It should, I repeat should mount in there real nice on about a 40* angle.

I will be slow at getting to this mod but I will post pix and progress when I tackle it.

Scotty
Old 10-27-2003, 05:49 PM
Lest we forget

I put mine on the the transmission hump, right where Jack Thrope has his bottle standing. I have an auto and no four Wh. drive. I made a wood frame for it and it stands vertical. ***** straight up easy to get at. Bottom of CB is a little off the floor so I could connect wires. I used boat trailer wire connecters, male and female so when I put three people in the front seat I can take CB out and store it in rear seat. Coax I just unscrew and let lay on floor. I made a small metal bracket and attach it to my cigar lighter to hold my mike when not in use. I could do this cause I don't smoke. I have an 02 Ram and you asked about an 03 but maybe this might help. Don't know how to send pictures or I would. My set up works real well for me. My antenna is bolted to the top of my truck box, right behind the left side of the rear window. Coax runs down behind cab and underneath to the fire wall, then thru to the CB. Electric I got from the fuse box. Put hot wire on a fuse so when I turn off the Key the CB also goes off.

Bought diesel for 1.49 last Fri.

Waam Holland, Mich
Old 10-27-2003, 06:36 PM

[quote author=waam link=board=7;threadid=21574;start=0#msg202300 date=1067298543]
I put mine on the the transmission hump, right where Jack Thrope has his bottle standing. I have an auto and no four Wh. drive. I made a wood frame for it and it stands vertical. ***** straight up easy to get at. Bottom of CB is a little off the floor so I could connect wires. I used boat trailer wire connecters, male and female so when I put three people in the front seat I can take CB out and store it in rear seat. Coax I just unscrew and let lay on floor. I made a small metal bracket and attach it to my cigar lighter to hold my mike when not in use. I could do this cause I don't smoke. I have an 02 Ram and you asked about an 03 but maybe this might help. Don't know how to send pictures or I would. My set up works real well for me. My antenna is bolted to the top of my truck box, right behind the left side of the rear window. Coax runs down behind cab and underneath to the fire wall, then thru to the CB. Electric I got from the fuse box. Put hot wire on a fuse so when I turn off the Key the CB also goes off.

Bought diesel for 1.49 last Fri.

Waam Holland, Mich
[/quote]

I think I will do something like you're doing.... a piece of thick metal with a 90 degree bend to keep the CB upright immediately in front of the middle seat... Does anyone know what kind of screws and how long I should use to screw into the "carpet" so I get through the carpet and into something strong?
Old 10-27-2003, 07:32 PM

I built a custom console for all my gadgetary housing needs:

Old 10-27-2003, 08:33 PM
Lest we forget

njoverkill
I started with a flat board, as wide as the CB and as about as long as it was high standing in the upright position. Then layed it on the the hump and moved it so it was level two ways. Did some measuring and made a runner out of a piece of wood 3/4 by 1 1/4 by about 8" lg. Stood strips on edge and cut arch in them to fit curve in trany hump. Each arch will have to be different to keep board level. Screwed strips to board on ea. end. Now you have a platform to work from. When I was all done and had CB mounted and setting where I wanted it, I drilled four small lead holes, one in ea. corner. Took Dry wall screws of the right lenght and put one in ea. corner. They go thru the top plate and the two strips underneath. The sharp tip of the screws set on the carpet. I did not screw it into anything. Also if it's not level, you can now do so with the screws. Must also drill clearance hole for coax wire and nut. To hold it vertical you can use the two screw holes, one on ea. side of the CB with some type of angle brkt. My air bag sending unit is on the hump under the dash. Took cover off and attach ground wire their to the metal brkt. Layed ground wire, hot wire and coax there and re installed plastic cover. Made my platform long enough cause thats where I got my trany temp gauge mounted also.
When I take my CB out the trany temp gauge goes out also.
Hope this helps Waam Holland, Mich.
Old 10-27-2003, 09:28 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's what I did.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...9&pid=1129

Temporary solution that has been there for over a year now.
My Galaxy DX73V is probably close to the size of your 66.

Board cut to lenght of middle seat, covered in semi matching vinyl, slight angle with 2 little boards jammed under the seat to keep the big board there.
CB and microphone holder screwed to board.

Eventually I want to take out the drink holder (2nd gen, automatic tranny, folds out and down from the dash) and mount it there along with a bigger, better police scanner than the handheld you see in the pic.
Just have to find the time to experiment so I don't have a gaping hole in my dash, or end up with it looking too redneck.

Kids and girlfriend D'jour don't like not having the seat next to me available.

phox
Old 10-28-2003, 09:02 AM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

[quote author=Berak link=board=7;threadid=21574;start=0#msg202362 date=1067304776]
I built a custom console for all my gadgetary housing needs:

[/quote]

Hey Berak,
That is a nice looking setup. Is that diamond plate on the floor? Or rubber? Cool.

John
Old 10-28-2003, 09:06 AM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

WAAM,
Sounds like a nice setup. Any pix available?

John
Old 10-28-2003, 10:17 AM

I have the Husky brand liners which are a soft plastic.
Old 10-28-2003, 10:37 AM
Lest we forget

For Wetspirit
John I don,t know how to send photo,s over or on this forum. However I do know how to send them over the inter net by way of an e-mail address. If you want I will or can send you five pic,s. but I will need an e-mail address. I just took five pic,s and sent them to njoverkill at his e-mail address. My e-mail add. is waam@wmol.com

Waam Holland. Mich.
Old 10-29-2003, 09:28 PM

u arn't thinking outside of the box man!, i took my galaxie 88 to my radio man and said i want a two piece radio, and i want the head unit as compact as possible. he used a 50 pin computor connector and separted the head from chassis with a 5ft. length of wire. right now my head unit is on top of dash but i don't like it there so i will probably dump the cup holders that don't work('94) and make a mount to put it there. the chassis is under center seat. he charged my couple hundred and it took 3weeks, he also had to mire some function's in the on or off position permantly like the anl and nb as a 50 pin connector isn't enough for all the option's on the 88.

Quick Reply: Where to mount amateur/CB on an 03?