3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Where to learn more about modding out your truck????

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 04:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to learn more about modding out your truck????

I know there is a lot of good information on here but it's kind of difficult to piece everything together.

I'm going to start modding my 05 and just ordered a set pf guages...tranny, boost and pyro. I'm then going to get teh Smarty Sr.

But what then?? Can I just program it on #9 and have the extra 170 HP claimed, or are there other things I have to do to get it there. Will I be ableto run it at program 9 without other mods.

When do I look at ungrading injectors, fuel pump, wastegate, exhaust mods, intake mods, turbo and whatever else I probably haven't thought of???? LOL

I know I will need a tranny, but how much tranny do I need?? I'd like to get my truck up to about 600 HP at some point. And I'll just replace it when this one eventually goes.

Of course I would only run the smarty on level 9 very occasionally, and keep it at 3 most of the time...but will this be a problem as far as EGT temps go??? I don't have to worry at this point about injectors or increase fuel pressures do I??

So much to learn, where's the best place to learn this stuff so I can proceed in a organized, progressive manner.

Thanks for the help.
Old 09-30-2008, 04:42 PM

You’ll get lots of help here. Anyway your auto it won’t hold up to the Sr on level 9 very long unless you baby it all the time. If you had a manual your clutch wouldn’t last long either.

I’d get a fuel pressure gauge to measure the lift pump fuel pressure feeding the CP3. There is no end to modding, but the gauges are a must.
Old 09-30-2008, 04:47 PM

So I'll get the fuel pressure guage, any others while I'm at it?
Like I said, I would only program it at 9 seldomly.
What would the next mods be? Exhaust? I really don't want it any louder than what it is.
Old 09-30-2008, 04:53 PM

First off, welcome to the site. You will enjoy modding your truck but I will warn you it can get very addicting.

The list you normally should start with consist of air intake, gauges, exhaust and then programmer. These will get you started on track to 600 horses. This will be good to the 400 - 450 range depending on tire size, programmer,transmission and dyno.

Air Intake- you can go a bunch of ways. *****'s whistler, AFE. It all depends on your liking. I have the AFE stg II.

Exhaust- the 05 comes with a 4" exhaust which is ok, the only problem is the stock muffler. Get a free flowing muffler this should be good. Unless you want to go bigger for more sound and curb appeal. MBRP or Magnaflow I have used both and loved them.

At this point you have gauges and plan on Smarty.

Step 2 and 3 is transmission work, if it is a automatic. Turbo if it is a manual. you will get alot of differing opinions here. stock turbo is good but to get to 600 you will need more fuel and inevitable need a better turbo to keep it cool and running.

Transmission work all depends on planned usage. Are you gonna drag the vehicle, pull, tow or just the daily grind hotrod?

Turbo is along the same lines. What are your plans for usage?

Step 4- Fuel Pump, lots of choices Airdog, GDP, FASS, Raptor and Mitusa. It all depends on what you like better each are a little different and have different price but all of them are good systems.

Step 5- Next I would do valve springs. Hamilton and F1 are the most commonly known. The only reason i would do springs is because you could get the TNT/R unlock for the Smarty.

This should get you in the 500+ range.

Step 6 would be some good injectors and cp3 mods (most people say the limit of the stock cp3 is 600)

Injectors- F1 is probably the most popular of all injectors (my opinion).

CP3- dual cp3's from either lloyd mills or ppe's kit would be the best route. Not saying you need that much but most effective.

Sorry its long but just trying to give you in a nutshell answer.

Again welcome
Old 09-30-2008, 05:07 PM

Thanks silverrhino...just what I was looking for. Now I have a lot of research to do.

It is an auto tranny.

I will be doing 10000-11000# towing with it, other than that, a daily "hot rod", race a few people with the sports cars, and probably drag just for fun at the yearly drag races.

Gives me a good start and a lot ot think about.
Old 09-30-2008, 06:37 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Oh, man... this is a step by step thing... the higher up you get in mods, the more you need... and the more expensive it gets.

That's a good post ^^^

The tranny... Where do you live? Try to find a big tranny company near you, most of the major guys have good products.

Piece at a time... support the power before you put it on.

Good luck!
Old 09-30-2008, 08:12 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
The information is here. Use the search function as much as possible. It take time to soak it all in. I am no expert but, many things were learned on here. Another thing, you won't learn it overnight. My suggestion is to take your time or it will cost you $$$$$$$$. Learn from others mistakes.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well all of the above is reasonable advice. Don't know where you are located, but see if you have a local Diesel Performance shop around. Maybe find out if a locale drag strip has any diesels running. Go watch, talk to the guys if possible. Stop be any real diesel shop and ask questions, make friends, if your lucky and have one around you can learn bunches that way.

Talking directly with a knowledgeable Cummins diesel performance guy can really fill in some of the blank spots that forum advice can leave. Just a thought if you lucky enough to have someone local.
Old 09-30-2008, 11:35 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
The local guy can also feed you a line of bull, so be careful. The guys on here have used more different stuff than a local shop has ever used I beat unless your local shop is Tim or Lloyd. Get educated first, that way noone can feed you a line of bull. Knowledge is power, so impower yourself first to know the difference.
Old 09-30-2008, 11:46 PM

I will add my 2 cents....

How much HP are you going for?

The stock tranny will handel 60-70 hp safely, if you run more you should be saving for your tranny already since any more than that and you will be on borrowed time. If you serch the forum you will find days of reading on the subject. A full tranny with TC,VB, Flex plate and Billet input should be good as long as you dont do 20 or 30 psi 4wd lauches. If you do...then add the Billet output.

Gauges....you can go several ways but we would all agree boost and EGT are fundamental. Fuel pressure and tranny temp are what I would suggest next.

On the exhaust question, I have seen many trucks over 700 HP on the 4" system. It is very capable and unless your going 900 hp or more it is preference. I would suggest you save some money, use a 4" donaldson or nelson muffler and dump the cat. You can serch for options here on the forum.

Air filter...they all work about the same. I would suggest you buy a system compatable with whatever future turbo you will buy. Spend your money once! If your gonna run a Silver bullet or a Phat Shaft 66 turbo for intance in the future, buy the AFE stage 2 instead of the Stage 1. The stage one is quite a bit smaller.

The stock turbo is good for about 470 to 520 hp. On fuel only I usually see the trucks go up to the 470's. A bit more a bit less. BTW I am at sea level when I dyno. The higher HP trucks, over 470 usually run water/meth or a bit of nitrous. I have never seen 600 on a stock turbo.

Now for a topic of debate which I do not want to get into, I will comment on what I have seen. Not all truck are the same and some trucks make more power than other with the same mods. On AVERAGE, a stock cp3 will give you 520-530 HP. Yes some trucks get more than that...50-70 more but those trucks are freaks. I thinks those pumps got by the inspectors!!

Stock injectors are capable of 570-580 HP. On some trucks I have seen 600HP on stock sticks but they are 1 in 10.

These are just some of the things I personally see. I could go on and on.

My best advice for you is to PLAN your build. Know where you want to be; 500, 600, 700 HP and so on cause it sucks buying things twice. Plus it is cheaper to do it once. If you need any help, drop me a PM.

Richard
Old 10-01-2008, 12:54 AM

I went a different route on my truck and had a downloader on it but bought a built transmission early on in the game and it was a good idea. I also had a modded pump before injectors along with a fuel system. alot of guys expect the stock transmission to hold the world and it wont. its better off to have the supporting mods in my opinion first then go further with it later. gauges would be a good idea and you can build your own intake for about a fourth of what these big companies charge. do a search for the ****** whistler intake its a good intake for the money. I built my own similar to it and its good for alot of power. on the exhaust do what you want to, the 05 has a good 4" system to start with but if you want 5" exhaust or stacks go for it and dont look back
Old 10-01-2008, 01:58 AM

go with at least of 66mm wheel i went 62 and had to go bigger in the end to a 71mm but at least u learn from my bad, silver as above is right on the money i wish he was in my ear when i needed him and started moding
Old 10-01-2008, 09:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Spooler
The local guy can also feed you a line of bull, so be careful. The guys on here have used more different stuff than a local shop has ever used I beat unless your local shop is Tim or Lloyd. Get educated first, that way noone can feed you a line of bull. Knowledge is power, so impower yourself first to know the difference.
That is very true, common sense is always needed when gathering information no matter what the source. I have learned a great deal from this forum and others of the last five years and exchanged countless information with members.

But it is also just as easy to get a line of bull on forum posts as well. Looking a man in the eyes when discussing things is easier to tell if he is feeding you a line than reading a somewhat anonymous post on the Internet.

I am lucky that in my local area I have spoke at least briefly with the following diesel performance shops. All are very well known locally and even nationally in most cases.

Hellman Performance
Diesel Innovations
Relentless Diesel Performance
Hot Rod Diesels