3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Where to connect trans temp sending unit

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2005, 07:57 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Where to connect trans temp sending unit

I don't really want to buy a $230 pan just to get a place to hook up a gauge unless it's a must do type of thing. I seen on the Diesel Manor website you can get the manifold that goes up by the radiator, or the drain plug where you drill a hole in your pan. Would either of these method's be sufficant. Pro's/con's. What are you guy's doing. Thank's
Old 11-19-2005, 10:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They used a trans to trans cooler line replacement from MassDiesel.com. It is an OE with a fitting added for the sensor. Cost around $80. Suppose to be the most accurate trans fluid temp location and very simple to install or uninstall if needed.

Old 11-20-2005, 08:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RamWheelsBy4
They used a trans to trans cooler line replacement from MassDiesel.com. It is an OE with a fitting added for the sensor. Cost around $80. Suppose to be the most accurate trans fluid temp location and very simple to install or uninstall if needed.

With the MassDiesel.com cooling line, did you have to replace the entire line, a portion of the line or just insert a fitting into a joint? Either way, it seems a little easier than cutting the line as per the DieselManor temperature manifold instructions.
Old 11-20-2005, 09:26 AM

The massdiesel line is a complete replacement line. The line is around 24" and just disconnects from each end. It has the t-fitting already installed. You just replace OE line and connect sensor to the t-fitting.
Old 11-20-2005, 09:36 AM

RamWheelsBy4 - Thanks for the info and quick response. Looks like I'll be calling Massdiesel on Monday and seeing how quickly they can get it to me.
Old 11-20-2005, 10:43 AM

sinton

Just a heads up.

My Autometer Ultra-Lite analogue Trans Temp gauge sensor was the larger size. They did have to find an adapter for the larger sensor, I think Lowes or Home Depot was where it was found on a Saturday morning.
Old 11-20-2005, 12:05 PM

Thanks, I'll be sure to dry fit everything before I start to think about working on the truck. Don't like to get caught like that.
Old 11-20-2005, 12:24 PM

Thank's for the great pic. That seem's like a nice set up.

I've been reading about the debate over the pan and the hot line. They say the line doesn't give you the true reading of the trani because the fluid is leaving the torque converter on it's way to the cooler. Well call me crazy, and I really have no idea what I'm talking about, but couldn't you just tap into the return line going back to the trani. That seem's like the best of both world's. Or is that idea just way off base.
Old 11-20-2005, 12:29 PM

Return line is cooled fluid.....I asked a while back for pics of the manifold that dieselmanor sells....NOBODy responded ......Thats what I'm planning to use
Old 11-20-2005, 12:41 PM

Hot Line

I like the hot line cause I know what the fluid temp is leaving the tranny. if it comes out at 300 degree's it's pretty well cooked, and well to say the least you need it changed. however if you put it in the return line, or pan you see fluid after cooling, so it may only read 250, so your seeing it hot, but not hot. Well at that point the tranny fluid needs to be replaced but since you only see 250 in th epan you don't replace it. I would do the hot line, cause that tells you what the tranny fluid has gotten up to. if it gets too hot replace it.

I used a double swage lock connector from Mcmaster and it only cost me 20 dollars. It hasn't leaked since and works great. I have a picture in my gallery if you wanna check it out.
Old 11-20-2005, 01:02 PM

TAS,,,that look's like the exact same fitting to me. Is that a compression fitting, or did you flare it yourself. Can you list a part # and tell me where you got it.

Herrin,,,is this the pic you're looking for. Or did you mean an istalled pic.

http://www.dieselmanor.com/autometer/tmp-mnfld.asp
Old 11-20-2005, 01:03 PM

installed

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...ad.php?t=80267
Old 11-20-2005, 01:10 PM

The instruction's on DM say it goes up by the radiator. I think I like this other setup better. How about you?
Old 11-20-2005, 01:13 PM

whatever is easiest...inexpensive is good too, but I'll pay for less headache
Old 11-20-2005, 01:17 PM

LOL,,,that's the way I feel too. I'd rather pay the $20 for the fitting as long as I don't have to buy a flaring tool too. Other wise I might have to pay the $80. Tapping the line just look's like a cleaner, more factory looking deal than the auto meter manifold. At least to me.

Quick Reply: Where to connect trans temp sending unit