3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

What's the lowdown on Volant Intakes

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2005, 10:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's the lowdown on Volant Intakes

While looking for air intakes for my father in law's F350 I came across Volant. I was impressed by their setup

http://www.volantperformance.com/pde...ber=1&ID=16759

I like the closed filter design (one of the reasons I got a Scotty's) and really like the overall look of the product when its installed in the truck (see their install pictures). However, I haven't read much about them on these forums. What is the general opinion of Volant air intakes from those who have used them. I'm trying to decide if this is an intake that I should add to the list for him to consider. How is their filtration with their filters?
Old 05-08-2005, 10:41 PM

i installed one of their systems on a 5.3 chevy Z71 truck.
seemed to fit well and seemed to work well. i don't own the truck that i put it on, so i really can't say much then that. was a little pricy compared to the KN system i had on my chevy truck at the time.
the filter is as good as a KN filter, which only seems to work good when dirty!!!!!
Old 05-09-2005, 12:53 PM

I have the kit installed on my rig today... It fit well with the exception of the ram air tube. I ended up not installing it... I also had to cut off about an inch off the torque tube for it to fit properly. I bought it from someone on ebay, so it was reasonably priced.

My only problem is that I want to order a new filter, a pre filter bag, and cleaning kit, and the prices for these things are insane... ($89 for a new filter and $50 for a pre filter bag) I love the design and the quality, but I am not going to pay these prices. Another problem is finding a Volant dealer.... Good luck with that.....

I am now thnking of going with a scotty III and adapting it to use the Volant torque tube... Or just installing the factory setup minus the baffle tube, adding an amsoil filter, and drilling a 4" hole in the factory air box...

These **** intake systems are extremely expensive, I am not sure what to do. I like the AFE stage 2, but I am not going to pay nearly $500 fo it !

I did have an AFE Megacannon, but it removed the paint from under my hood...
Old 05-10-2005, 07:43 AM
Chapter President

I have the Volant and like it. It hasn't let any dirt/dust that I could find into the intake tube (and that's before I got their 8-layer Primo filter). The original one I got a few years ago didn't come with the better filter (same difference as the AFE PG7 and the magnum force). I like it that the air box is fully enclosed and protects the filter from weather and heat better. I've had the setup for almost 2 years with no problems. Do an internet search for the best prices. I got my replacement Primo filter a cuple of months ago for about 65 bucks and the pre-filter for 15 bucks. Either way, I like the set-up. I had a K&N in my 2000 and hated it. It would let dirt in and rattle loose all the time. The Volant is a much better set-up. Just make sure you go with their Primo filter (I think that may be the only one available for the diesels now). Good luck.

*Just a note, not sure if the Primo filter is 7 or 8 layer. It is the equivilent of the PG7 so I assume it may be 7 also. Either way, that is the filter you want if you go with the Volant.
Old 05-10-2005, 02:28 PM

I have the Volant Cool Air on my truck and theirs nut tin better I thank. Sorry Scotty don't run yours. The in-closed box keeps the air cooler and the snorkel is a bear to put on but the filter itself is Top shelf 30 K almost now not a speak of dirt in the T tub. Win I raced way back win we used grease on your finger to get any dirt that past by the filter I used very tiny bit at tip of the tube and theirs not any dust in the tork tub yet. Very happy with my set up.