3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

What's the best TRANSMISSION?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 11:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you dont mind me askin how much did it run you to get the full billit race? All together
Old 02-19-2008, 12:08 PM

Dave at Goerands can be hard to get hold of. He's a 'one' man shop (actually has about 5-6 people) and does everything in house. I left several messages, didn't get a return call. I finally decided to call early in the morning, and got hold of Les. Les said that I'd get on a 'return call' list, and sure enough, after that it wasn't hard getting ahold of them. When I had a friend do the upgrade (converter, input, shift kit) there was kinda a whistle, so I called Gorerand's and left message. Dave called and left message within like 6 hours and gave me his cell number (but by them I had figured out it was something not to do with tranny). I'm real happy with Goerands and would recommend it to anyone, from a stock to a full billet transmission.
You will have people who are not happy with their transmissions for whatever reasons (good and bad) I haven't read anyone say that they didn't like dealing with Goerands (except it was hard to get hold of them) Another with great rep is HTS, I guess Dusty is the main guy there.
Old 02-19-2008, 12:22 PM

Dave's not so hard to get a hold of anymore. I've gotten him or a call back from him every day I've tried lately. The Goerend fully built minus int. & output shafts installed here in town is right @ $5600. Just call James in Midlothian & GIT 'ER DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-19-2008, 02:37 PM

So when i call james he can get the trans for me down there so i dont have to have it shipped to my house?
Old 02-19-2008, 04:11 PM

He'll have it shipped to his shop.
Old 02-19-2008, 04:25 PM

I say pick someone and go with them. As far as getting ahold of Dave. I got him on the phone a few times from Iraq and then numerous times after getting back. I have had some shifting concerns, but I have finally decided it is "smarty driven" Even knowing that it seems the smarty is playing with my shift characteristics, Dave has called me numerous times to make sure I was happy. I haven't dealt with others, but there is no better customer service than Daves.

As far as the parts and the build. There are only so many things that can be doen and I am sure most of the big builders are doing most of the same mods. They all may tweak their valve bodies a little different, but there is only so much you can do with the hard parts and clearances and such.

Good luck
Old 02-19-2008, 04:27 PM

Remember, you likely wont get a whole trans, bellhousing and all. You'll get all the parts, which will then get installed into your current bellhousing. Given your mods, and if you don't jack up the power, you might get away with a torque converter and valve body. You probably don't need an output shaft or flex plate. Now if the bank account and mamma are good with it get a full-on race tranny.

DO NOT, just use any old ASE mech for the install, use a manufacturer recommended installer. The installer is just as important as the products!!
Old 02-19-2008, 07:09 PM

Okay i changed my plan and im going down around dallas to see James at JTT and have him take a look at my truck and do some work on it anybody delt with him? Is he a good guy to go with?
Old 02-19-2008, 08:04 PM

The best transmission is the one built by someone who is near where you live or where you travel very often. The parts by ATS, HTS, DTT, SunCoast, Goerend, and the other tranny companies are available to any good tranny shop. My last rebuild was a my local tranny shop and the work was less than 1/3 the cost of a "diesel tranny shop" and he got the full rebuild kit plus all the frictions I wanted and steels from his regular supplier at 50% less than anywhere else. KS
Old 02-19-2008, 08:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just got my Goerend put in this past weekend. All I can say is awesome. I was having the same problem as you, when I hit 2nd it fell flat on it's face. My new Goerend pulls and shifts awesome. I love it!
Old 02-19-2008, 09:20 PM

How does it sound to yall guys that im taking my truck to James down by dallas to have the valve body adjusted, a suncoast flexplate installed, and a billet imput shaft put in! May replace my banks tc for the DTT tc! Any thoughts on that?
Old 02-19-2008, 09:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
James does great work. You will not be dissappointed.

Old 02-19-2008, 09:28 PM

I'm glad to hear that do yall think that those parts will hold up good?
Old 02-19-2008, 09:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by zack birge
I'm glad to hear that do yall think that those parts will hold up good?
That depends on your right foot!!!!
Old 02-19-2008, 10:01 PM

Well my foot is usually in it! I never go slow! Lol but I dont think im going to add anymore power to the truck!

Quick Reply: What's the best TRANSMISSION?