3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

whats the best double din with back-up cam???? Got Scared last week!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 11:52 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jrussell
Not sure on the tailgate cam thing. I think you can get a small round generic cam and just drill a hole in your current plastic tailgate handle?

IMO the nav is one of those things where once you've had it you can't live without it. Just having the phone numbers (for businesses) being stored in there is worth the extra cost alone for me. Those of you with a phone book in your truck right now know what I mean!

X2 on that!!! I enjoy being able to enter only the # and getting directions and any info you would need. Navigation just makes it better, you get a constant view of the map, and it helps you memorize directions. And I can't live w/o it either.
Old 07-21-2007, 03:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by morkable
I have been doing alot of research on this myself.. I have pretty much narrowed it down to a kenwood dnx7100.... The pioneer is nice as it has the hard drive,, but you can only load the hd with cd's so I cant see myself doing that,, take too long, and I am short on patience. The kenwoods navigation is superior IMO, they use a garmin system, one of the nice features of this is that when it comes time to upgrade the maps,, you get to look at them online first before you buy. That way if the update dosent affect any of the places that you go you dont have to buy it, but with the others you have to purchase,, then check out whats what. The screen quality is the nicest on the alpine, but only by a fraction. And the alpine is expensive, especially after you purchase the blackbird nav system

Kevin
well thanks to Kevin I am looking at this too.....
this seems to be a really nice unit with Nav for a good price??

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-JBy886b...0&I=113DNX7100
Old 07-21-2007, 05:33 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is there any that have adapters to watch the movies while driving.. I know it's not cool but for the kid!!! Bluetooth available?? Which gps do they use???
Old 07-21-2007, 05:46 PM

Shane I hear that you can bypass some of the systems. That shops will hook you up. For a price that is. Hey what was Nathan's link again?
Jim
Old 07-21-2007, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by Luvnacumns
Is there any that have adapters to watch the movies while driving.. I know it's not cool but for the kid!!! Bluetooth available?? Which gps do they use???
I don't know about the driving and movie thing but it this is about the Kenwood, I link above....

Bluetooth Ready: The unit is also Bluetooth compatible using the optional Kenwood KCA-BT100 Bluetooth adapter. Using this adapter you can make and answer phone calls from the Kenwood headunit. You can even download your Phonebook information from your compatible mobile phone into the headunit. You are able to register up to five compatible Bluetooth cell phones when using the KCA-BT100 adapter.

Built-In Navigation: The Kenwood DNX7100 features a built-in Garmin GPS navigation on-board mapping system with City Navigator North America NT v8 map data of the USA (including Alaska and Hawaii) and Canada stored onto 2GB of built-in memory. Once you determine your destination and as you travel, the navigation system guides you to your destination with voice prompts, arrow, and directions along the top of the on-screen map. If you depart from the original route, the navigation system recalculates the route and provides new route instructions. Real time TMC Traffic Information or XM Traffic and Weather information can be added as and option using the Kenwood GXM30 XM NavTraffic Satellite Radio receiver and subscription, sold separately
Old 07-21-2007, 05:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by RJOS
Shane I hear that you can bypass some of the systems. That shops will hook you up. For a price that is. Hey what was Nathan's link again?
Jim

Oh soory man I forgot ya.. Pm in a minute!! I did look at one and with all the bypass crap it was still 2k!!! I don't remember which one though???

Originally Posted by 53 ******
I don't know about the driving and movie thing but it this is about the Kenwood, I link above....

Bluetooth Ready: The unit is also Bluetooth compatible using the optional Kenwood KCA-BT100 Bluetooth adapter. Using this adapter you can make and answer phone calls from the Kenwood headunit. You can even download your Phonebook information from your compatible mobile phone into the headunit. You are able to register up to five compatible Bluetooth cell phones when using the KCA-BT100 adapter.

Built-In Navigation: The Kenwood DNX7100 features a built-in Garmin GPS navigation on-board mapping system with City Navigator North America NT v8 map data of the USA (including Alaska and Hawaii) and Canada stored onto 2GB of built-in memory. Once you determine your destination and as you travel, the navigation system guides you to your destination with voice prompts, arrow, and directions along the top of the on-screen map. If you depart from the original route, the navigation system recalculates the route and provides new route instructions. Real time TMC Traffic Information or XM Traffic and Weather information can be added as and option using the Kenwood GXM30 XM NavTraffic Satellite Radio receiver and subscription, sold separately

Mark, Sounds like a good one... I wonder what all adapters are needed???
Old 07-21-2007, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by Luvnacumns
Oh soory man I forgot ya.. Pm in a minute!! I did look at one and with all the bypass crap it was still 2k!!! I don't remember which one though???

Mark, Sounds like a good one... I wonder what all adapters are needed???
with the kenwood you have to buy a adapter for the bluetooth, sat radio, ipod..but nothing for the nav...(with the model I linked above)
but you have to buy some adapter/s with the others too..so who knows???

I love the sound of the Pioneer that Justin has because it has pretty much everything included, but it may be too spendy for me

I like that I can buy stuff/adapters for the Kenwood later(a grow into it kinda thing) I also like that the Kenwood uses Garmin GPS like Kevin mentioned. I found that kenwood for about 1,000 bucks online..thats about half of what the Pioneer cost
Old 07-21-2007, 08:07 PM

I'm not sure on other makes, but with Alpine you can use an aftermarket module to let you watch movies while driving. I think with Kenwood this is possible also, Pioneer's Z2 I don't think can be bypassed yet. That Kenwood looks like a pretty decent setup, I looked at it briefly when I was in the market but the shop I use sells Alpine. Also, you should be able to pick up the Alpine W205 and the new Blackbird when it comes out for about 14-1500 US. My deck alone cost me 900.00cnd. The Blackbird is also portable/handheld with Bluetooth built in along with an SD slot for music storage.

Darren
Old 07-21-2007, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by Strokedelky
I'm not sure on other makes, but with Alpine you can use an aftermarket module to let you watch movies while driving. I think with Kenwood this is possible also, Pioneer's Z2 I don't think can be bypassed yet. That Kenwood looks like a pretty decent setup, I looked at it briefly when I was in the market but the shop I use sells Alpine. Also, you should be able to pick up the Alpine W205 and the new Blackbird when it comes out for about 14-1500 US. My deck alone cost me 900.00cnd. The Blackbird is also portable/handheld with Bluetooth built in along with an SD slot for music storage.

Darren
portable huh??? I like the sound of that too
hmmm decisions, decisions
Old 07-21-2007, 08:20 PM

I can't remember if it is on their website yet, last I checked it still showed the original Blackbird. The new one should be out this month and will dock inside the deck - behind the screen. You control it from the deck when it is docked but if you jump into another vehicle pull it out and you have nav. wherever you go. Oh yeah, one thing I like about the Kenwood you showed is it has a little bit bigger screen (6.5" vs. 6.95"?).

Darren
Old 07-21-2007, 09:36 PM

The Kenwood is the easiest to bypass, you just have to ground the parking brake connection from the deck. There are much better prices on ebay, I have seen them as low as 960 US on there.

Kevin
Old 07-22-2007, 09:33 PM

I installed my Alpine w-205 today with the Pac tr7 bypass module. I bought the hu for $899 with free Alpine 6x9 speakers and the bypass for $30. I will be getting the new Blackbird when it comes out.
Old 07-22-2007, 10:09 PM

Well I ordered the kenwood dnx7100. SHould be here soon. Got it online at the navy exchange for 1299. Ordering bezel tomorrow and maybe I have the hootspa to install it. Maybe I'll just call SHANE!!!
Jim
Old 07-22-2007, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by RJOS
Well I ordered the kenwood dnx7100. SHould be here soon. Got it online at the navy exchange for 1299. Ordering bezel tomorrow and maybe I have the hootspa to install it. Maybe I'll just call SHANE!!!
Jim
take some pics and report back how you like it please...I think I am going to go with the Kenwood too.
I would like to go stereo shopping and see them in person too...
Old 07-22-2007, 11:03 PM

i have an alpine in the toy, my jeep, the one thingi would wonder abut is the quality of the alpine tuner. i don't have the amse double din unit you are looking for but the tuner in my alpine head unit stinks out loud.

it won't pick up a radio station to save its life. my factory radio in the 05 3500 will find a station ling before the fancy alpine head unit

Quick Reply: whats the best double din with back-up cam???? Got Scared last week!!