3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

whats the best double din with back-up cam???? Got Scared last week!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 06:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Justin that pioneer that you have sounds pretty sweet to me!!!I love that it has a built in 30gb hard drive!
do any other company's make hard drive stereos like that or is pioneer the only ones???
Old 07-20-2007, 06:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Forgive my ignorance when it comes to anything audio/video in cars, but what does "double din" refer to?
Old 07-20-2007, 06:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by CTD Freak
Forgive my ignorance when it comes to anything audio/video in cars, but what does "double din" refer to?
It's the space where your factory stereo and the small storage compartment below it is take up by the stereo... Thus double din..
Old 07-20-2007, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Luvnacumns
It's the space where your factory stereo and the small storage compartment below it is take up by the stereo... Thus double din..
anyone have a picture?
Old 07-20-2007, 06:19 PM
Banned

Old 07-20-2007, 06:39 PM
Banned

seems like something like this would serve a better purpose for what you're talking about??
http://www.autobarn.net/wibasebyde.html
Old 07-20-2007, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by Luvnacumns
Ahhh...as they say, a picture is worth a thousand words. Now I get it.
Old 07-20-2007, 07:18 PM

I have been doing alot of research on this myself.. I have pretty much narrowed it down to a kenwood dnx7100.... The pioneer is nice as it has the hard drive,, but you can only load the hd with cd's so I cant see myself doing that,, take too long, and I am short on patience. The kenwoods navigation is superior IMO, they use a garmin system, one of the nice features of this is that when it comes time to upgrade the maps,, you get to look at them online first before you buy. That way if the update dosent affect any of the places that you go you dont have to buy it, but with the others you have to purchase,, then check out whats what. The screen quality is the nicest on the alpine, but only by a fraction. And the alpine is expensive, especially after you purchase the blackbird nav system

Kevin
Old 07-20-2007, 07:22 PM

I have a Pioneer AVIC-Z1 double-din as well. Love it; iPod, NAV, HD, Hard-Drive, plus everything else you would need. The only thing that gripes me about it is that the preouts are low voltage so the sound quality when running external amplifiers doesn't seem to be as high as some others with 5-volt preouts. You can get one of those license plate back-up cams and they work great. Really clear picture too. All in all, I'd choose it again any day.

As for getting Crutchfield to show that the double-dins fit the 06-07 models, you have to select "with nav system" as one of the vehicle options. Otherwise it will tell you that you have a 1 1/2 din.
Old 07-20-2007, 07:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CTD Freak
Ahhh...as they say, a picture is worth a thousand words. Now I get it.

And this is the single din version for the earlier models
Old 07-20-2007, 07:38 PM

I am using a new Alpine W205 along with a Boyo backup cam built into a license plate frame and it is excellent. Has I believe 135 degree view (don't quote me though) and is color. I use it mainly for hooking to my trailer the way I have it angled, but still gives good view behind the truck. No regrets here for the money spent.

Darren
Old 07-20-2007, 08:29 PM
Banned

I'm not gonna lie, Kenwood has the best nav system since they use the Garmin maps. Again, how much better is hard to say. Mine gets me where I want to go and hasn't gotten me lost, so I don't have any problems with the mapping system.

As far as the CD recording, it does it at like 4X's speed automatically when you insert a new CD (that isn't already in the library). It's usually finished copying the whole CD by the time the 4th song comes on. Then it organizes your entire library by Artist, Album, Genre, etc.
Old 07-21-2007, 11:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does anybody know where to find a tailgate handle backup cam??
all I can find is the Chevy version???

the more I look the less I think I need to spend extra on nav.......

really all I need is.... a nice big touch screen..ipod compatible/interfaced...backup cam input....
I doubt I will ever run more then just nice door speakers???

I think I narrowed it to Alpine and Kenwood???
anymore thoughts????
Old 07-21-2007, 11:43 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 53 ******
Does anybody know where to find a tailgate handle backup cam??
all I can find is the Chevy version???

the more I look the less I think I need to spend extra on nav.......

really all I need is.... a nice big touch screen..ipod compatible/interfaced...backup cam input....
I doubt I will ever run more then just nice door speakers???

I think I narrowed it to Alpine and Kenwood???
anymore thoughts????
Not sure on the tailgate cam thing. I think you can get a small round generic cam and just drill a hole in your current plastic tailgate handle?

IMO the nav is one of those things where once you've had it you can't live without it. Just having the phone numbers (for businesses) being stored in there is worth the extra cost alone for me. Those of you with a phone book in your truck right now know what I mean!
Old 07-21-2007, 11:49 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you have it narrowed down to those 2, I would pick the alpine. If money is an issue, I would look at the new Valor screen and the Dual screen. They got great reviews and good bang for the buck.

Quick Reply: whats the best double din with back-up cam???? Got Scared last week!!