3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

whats the best double din with back-up cam???? Got Scared last week!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 02:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
whats the best double din with back-up cam???? Got Scared last week!!

I have been wanting to get a back-up cam for quiet a while now and after I had this little episode this last week I want one more.....
I walked around my truck put my kids in, and jumped in my self as I jumped in I saw my sons two buddy's next house down, so I waited for them to go by and backed up....well as I crossed the sidewalk I saw one of the kids younger bothers waiting by the end of the driveway!!!!! lucky he waited for me because I thought I was in the clear!!! IT SCARED THE CRAP OUT OF ME!!!!!! especially cause I thought I was clear. if he had not stopped I dont know what would have happened I was watching my mirrors and all but it still seemed to close for comfort

so whats the good word on double dins with back up cams???
Alpine?
Kenwood?
Pioneer?
I am out of the loop when it comes to stereo stuff now-days

Thanks for any info or experience you may have
Old 07-20-2007, 02:54 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IMO the Alpine is probably the best.

Having said that, I don't think the Pioneer and Kenwoods are that much different to justify the huge price difference. The Alpine setup is quite a bit more expensive when you add up all the options.

Pioneer's new Z2 is supposed to be really sweet. A much improved version of the Z1. The only drawback to the Z2 is that it cannot be bypassed yet for video while driving. It's not really safe to have video playing on the screen while driving anyway , so I don't think that's a big deal.

The BU cam is great, once you get used to it. In the beginning it's a little tricky to check all your mirrors and the screen while you're backing up. After a while you get used to scanning all three mirrors and the screen quickly, so you only back up like grandpa for the first couple weeks.
Old 07-20-2007, 03:00 PM

I have one of the back-up cameras that has it's own little 2" screen. It's not great, but it does actually work pretty good, and does help you see what is directly behind you in the huge blind spot that these truck have. It is a wireless camera (kind of) You have to get power to the camera and to the display but no wire between the screen and camera. My got it for for father's day. It was about $80 at Costco.
Old 07-20-2007, 03:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Pioneer AVIC-Z2. I have the single din version of it, the N3. It has navigation and several other features. I believe it has a 60gb harddrive too for storing music, info, etc. You can add the camera to it.

Last edited by rip 112; 07-20-2007 at 05:02 PM. Reason: changed text
Old 07-20-2007, 03:05 PM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I like the Clarion. Has a killer warranty. I believe they will replace it for free (1 or 2 years) if it gets stolen (as long as it is installed by authorized dealer). I am not in the car audio business so this is not a plug for any particular shop! It is just a hobby of mine and I have been looking at them for quite some time now. I have always been Alpine so it may be a toss up.
Old 07-20-2007, 03:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by rip 112
Pioneer AVIC-Z3. I have the single din version of it, the N3. It has navigation and several other features. I believe it has a 60gb harddrive too for storing music, info, etc. You can add the camera to it.
They don't make a "Z3". The Z2 just came out and replaced the Z1.

The hard drive is a really nice feature. I don't have to carry around any CD's or look through them because they're all recorded on the Z1's HD!
Old 07-20-2007, 03:51 PM
First Person to Post in the 4th Gen Classifieds

I have a question here - the jeep commander comes with a backup camera so couldn't you get the nav unit from a commander and hook in a backup camera?

thanks,

Jay
Old 07-20-2007, 04:44 PM

I am glad this thread came up...thanks Mark. Is the 2006 a double din? I found a sweet deal but crutchflips says our trucks are din and .5...
Old 07-20-2007, 05:12 PM
Banned

This is on my list of to doo's to!! I will be watching this one!!!
Old 07-20-2007, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by RJOS
I am glad this thread came up...thanks Mark. Is the 2006 a double din? I found a sweet deal but crutchflips says our trucks are din and .5...
I think Justin's running a double din?????
Old 07-20-2007, 05:32 PM

I would search for previous threads but....
Old 07-20-2007, 05:32 PM

what about the cameras in the tail gate handle???? anybody got a link or name of a company???
Old 07-20-2007, 05:33 PM

I would search for previous threads but....

what do you mean?????
Old 07-20-2007, 05:38 PM

The dang search funtion is FUBAR'd.. Unless us Navy guys are too slow in the noodle to figure it out.
Jim
Old 07-20-2007, 05:46 PM

The dang search funtion is FUBAR'd.. Unless us Navy guys are too slow in the noodle to figure it out.
Jim
weird???? I searched earlier before I made this thread....Justin seems to have done his research on them...I need to do some more reading I guess.
I always like kenwood stuff but Alpine and pioneer seem to be a little more preferred??

Quick Reply: whats the best double din with back-up cam???? Got Scared last week!!