3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

whats the best bang for the buck????

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 08:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
whats the best bang for the buck????

I'm sure this has been talked to death. but here we go. I'm looking for a Tuner, whats the best bang for the buck. I've looked at Smarty Jr, super chip, hyper tech.

Looking for good power gain and support.

Thanks
Old 09-30-2011, 10:17 AM

Go Smarty JR and don't look back...

Nice, reliable power and customer service is second to none! Been running mine for just over 3 months now with 90K on the truck. Only regret has been that I waited this long to add the Smarty.
If you go this route, let us know your thoughts. I'm SURE you will not be dissapointed!
Further, there are some very helpful folks on this site that have tons of advise/ suggestions on settings for your particular truck and the season of the year.
Old 09-30-2011, 11:49 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Talked to death and always the same answer.

Smarty jr.

Edit: I've had mine for over 100,000 miles and never had a bit of trouble. Never an injector go bad, never a fuel pump issue... Even the tranny is still hanging in there pulling over 20K gross.
Old 09-30-2011, 12:22 PM

I figured talked to death, probly one of the first posts when this web site was started, So far Smarty JR. I've read that the smarty your able to configure your personal tunes. Not sure if I read this correctly, if I did how had is it to configure your own set up?
Old 09-30-2011, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by regert
I figured talked to death, probly one of the first posts when this web site was started, So far Smarty JR. I've read that the smarty your able to configure your personal tunes. Not sure if I read this correctly, if I did how had is it to configure your own set up?
For the most part you are correct. And it is not hard at all...
You can choose between the 3 power levels 40, 70, 100.
Where you get creative on a personal level is in the Torque and Timing settings (you can also adjust the power on demand from 0-99....I never mess with this, mine is always kept on the default "99" which is the max)
As for what setting is best for you or me or anyone is in some cases complety diffrent for every truck.
I have found it best to take some suggestions based on the mods to my truck and simply play with each until you find one that is right for you. As for me, I tried each SW level on the default settings (meaning TQ default & TM default) and then made adjustments to both TQ and TM after I had more experience with what the effects were to my truck after changing each.
Again, very easy to navigate and for the most part very safe. BUT, As was suggested to me...don't drive like an animal is SW3 unless you have plans for an upgrade to the tranny. I do, beacuse the power is addictive...
Good luck!
Old 09-30-2011, 01:29 PM

What about the Diablo U7130, there's a guy locale to me that has one for sale new in the box $200.00. Any news on this one, bad or good?
Old 09-30-2011, 01:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What about the Diablo U7130, there's a guy locale to me that has one for sale new in the box $200.00. Any news on this one, bad or good?
He probably want to sell it in order to purchase a Smarty Jr.
Old 09-30-2011, 02:43 PM

SMARTY JR........ I love this thing.
Old 09-30-2011, 03:45 PM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The preditor is a good product that compares more closely to the regular Smarty or Bully Dog Triple Dog in overall power. It does not have the options of smarty though. It was more effective on the 03-04 engines and not so much in the 04.5 and up. While it is a decent programmer, Diablos customer service leaves a lot to be desired if that is important to you. For that price, that is not a bad deal at all.
Old 09-30-2011, 05:23 PM

Smarty JR. I have not had my long but it`s the best diesel programmer on the market IMO.

EDIT: There was a couple used ones listed on the classifieds on this site unless they are already sold.
Old 09-30-2011, 05:29 PM

I see most like the smarty jr. Do you really notice the increase of power as I read that top hp is 100 other programmers claim 160+. I like to get my monies worth out of a programmer.
Old 09-30-2011, 05:42 PM

I see most like the smarty jr. Do you really notice the increase of power as I read that top hp is 100 other programmers claim 160+. I like to get my monies worth out of a programmer.
Oh yes you can notice it for sure!! It was night and day for me! Like driving a truck with a whole different engine! If you go with something with more horse power like you are talking about you better plan on a tranny upgrade asap because you are going to cook it with that much added horse power. If you plan on an upgrade and want more HP step up to the smarty JR`s big brother. The smarty SR. http://madselectronics.com/Smarty06PoD.html
Old 09-30-2011, 08:10 PM

if you want more power get the smarty s-06pod. i love mine.
Old 09-30-2011, 09:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
so is the smarty a chip or is it like a SCT or diablo handheld tuner? is it what the truck community calls a "puck" or am i thinking of something different? Where in the line of modifying should a person get this? prior to usual bolt ons like intake/exhaust or after. Sorry if im hi jacking the thread in any way shape or form, its not my intent
Old 09-30-2011, 09:45 PM

I just found my sweet spot. 07 3500 Steel Flat Bed, 373's, Foor Door, Six Speed. Smarty Jr Settings Sw2, 2, 2 and Fueling set at 65 instead of 99. 63k miles on truck and it just got the best Fuel Econo it has ever gotten. Highway 65 mph 2000rpm, cruise, A/C going, no headwind and busted into 20mpg and was hand figured not computer, this was over a 250mile run. Turned around and was still empty "RV we went to look at was a piece of Crap LOL" headed home, all was the same except I ran the Truck at 70mph 2200/2300 rpm, Cruise, A/C and pretty good head wind, 19 miles per gallon, figured on paper not computer. I like. I am Happy.

Next? I think I am going with a AFE Air System and be done. And my Truck has Straight Exhaust. Otherwise Stock.

Quick Reply: whats the best bang for the buck????