3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Whatever happended to the BANKS Variable Turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2006, 09:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whatever happended to the BANKS Variable Turbo?

They had a prototype on a TV show and it was supposed to be out a few months later. That was a year ago at least. I guess the ditched the whole thing??
Old 04-18-2006, 12:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I called them 1 1/2 months ago and the guy said in a couple months. I would like to see how it performs to these other aftermarket turbo. But knowing Banks it will probably be cheaper to buy BD twins. And I am not expecting it any time soon.
Old 04-18-2006, 06:24 PM
Banned

Mid June,Also Banks released a new Version for the PowerPDA.The new version searches for Banks Devices. (interesting)
Old 04-18-2006, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by twest
Mid June,Also Banks released a new Version for the PowerPDA.The new version searches for Banks Devices. (interesting)

I don't much care for that idea. If your a dedicated Banks guy fine, but the Banks electronics sure aren't very stackable with other vendors electronics. I do miss the rotary dial power selector of my old-style Six-gun (so handy and quick compared to ANY digital).

As for variable turbos, why?, they cant do anything a set of small twins can't do and they seem to be more failure prone.

Sorry to drift off topic.
Old 04-18-2006, 10:38 PM
Banned

Why would any manufacturer Promote products that are compatible with the competition when they produce their own,I have never heard anyone ever make the statement that TST or Edge is not compatible with Banks exhaust,Or MBRP is not compatible with Banks Six-Guns or PowerPDA Tuners.
Old 04-18-2006, 11:05 PM

I said electronics, obviously anyones exhaust is compatable with anyones tuners!! How compatable is the six-gun with duration boxes?

So do you suppose Banks new variable turbo will have a proprietary link with banks fueling electronics? And would such turbo be compatable with other vendors electronics?? I'm not trying to flame Banks I just don't like products that "pigeon hole" the buyer.
Old 04-18-2006, 11:13 PM

And would such turbo be compatable with other vendors electronics?? I'm not trying to flame Banks I just don't like products that "pigeon hole" the buyer.
While on the other side of the spectrum, you have TST providing an adjustable timing feature SPECIFICALLY for those who want to stack with other boxes/programmers. Quadzilla's another company more than willing to make their products more compatible with the rest of the aftermarket. Who's more friendly to the customer, and in the end, who's going to sell more product?
Old 04-19-2006, 12:41 AM
Banned

Look what has happen to The T-Dog when move from vehicle to vehicle,trying to make your Product more compatible can get your *** in the Ringer,and can be a service nightmare,I have stack the Tuners Banks has with other Products some of the result have been undesirable.
One area that is lacking is safety,The First test T&C performed is the Vehicle must start and Run with un-interrupted service (no codes etc) when the Power is cut to the device, Most performance box"s and tuners fail this test and that why T&C would not recommend Them or would offer them for street use.When you own one truck you may feel just in your decision it your vehicle,But when you have thousands of customers you may want to be a little more safety conscience.
To me making your products more compatible with the competition when you offer the same product is a sign of weakness,To illustrate ( you can always get another Drummer,Guitar or bass player but try and replace Eric Clapton.)
Now Back to Turbos
Old 04-19-2006, 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by twest
Look what has happen to The T-Dog when move from vehicle to vehicle,trying to make your Product more compatible can get your *** in the Ringer,and can be a service nightmare,I have stack the Tuners Banks has with other Products some of the result have been undesirable.
One area that is lacking is safety,The First test T&C performed is the Vehicle must start and Run with un-interrupted service (no codes etc) when the Power is cut to the device, Most performance box"s and tuners fail this test and that why T&C would not recommend Them or would offer them for street use.When you own one truck you may feel just in your decision it your vehicle,But when you have thousands of customers you may want to be a little more safety conscience.
To me making your products more compatible with the competition when you offer the same product is a sign of weakness,To illustrate ( you can always get another Drummer,Guitar or bass player but try and replace Eric Clapton.)
Now Back to Turbos

I am really curious as to how you perform this test you talk about.
I have asked before, but I am curious exactly how you perform this test.
Old 04-19-2006, 07:57 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by qzilla
Fine power source,generally fused and interrupted it ,it"s that simple.T&C has Bi-directional tools for all three GM,Ford,Dodge and simulate whatever we would like.I have also explain it to you before..it the same test posted over at the dieselstop. Also T&C has its standards and if a manufacture does not meet them T&C will not offer their product,does this mean products that we don"t offer are inferior,ABSOLUTELY NOT.I have found that offering many product just make your customer service suffer or just selling for profit only? and are not interested in service, Quad if you want to debate Products Please contact us by means of the Phone. 800-680-4697 /612-805-4697/ 612-889-1734/ 763-783-1385 Office Number.We are available 24/7
Old 04-19-2006, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by qzilla
Doesn't your map sensor connector come undone when you're cruising around? I know mine does all the time. That's why I downloaded the crazy larry for my triple dog on my 2003 HO.

Andy
Old 04-19-2006, 09:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I thought that maybe they got wind of the 6.7 having a VGT and decided to ditch their own. But after what RAMROD said I dont know.