3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

What would be the 1st upgrade you would do?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2016, 08:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CRF450R RIDER
do not stack programmers. that is not needed.

EFI is for 06+ smarty is good, but HP and UDC PRO is the best custom tuning you can get, as long as you go with a good reputable tuner. HP and UDC RPO is comparable to EFI, but for the 03-05 trucks. why would you put better filtration in after you put new injectors in? you wanna put better filtration in right away to help your injectors last longer.
Everyone has an opinion, I like my stacked set-up... I can run a program on a mild setting and then have the option to instantly reach down and crank a **** up and get a little more power any time I need it... I don't know of a whole lot of programmers that allow me to do that on the fly...

I'm not against adding extra filtration but if your not running a high volume LP, then why increase the fuel delivery restrictions and the chance to starve your HP and possibly induce the chance of air/cavitation at the injectors..

My stacked set-up has lasted me 10+ years now, maybe it's not the hottest/best thing out there, but it's versatile to the ever changing needs from my truck and my life style... Also I am not a slave to some guy that does/doesn't want to write me a custom tune and charge me every time I want to change something..

My truck is like a lot of others on here, it is used from everything between a empty loaded daily commuter, to a work truck with a bed full of bagged concrete and yanking a skid steer up and down mountain roads... Had it since 10/28/03 and the only time it ever let me down was this summer when the canister mounted lift pump finally let go, quick run to the parts store and 30 minutes later, it was back up and running...
Old 12-25-2016, 08:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cari
​​​​​I have about $1,000 to spend for now.
If it was me,

$685.00 Mads Electronics - Smarty - Catcher - Pricing

$67.00 https://www.genosgarage.com/product/.../gauge-mounts1

$205.00 https://www.genosgarage.com/product/am-8544/autometer2

or

$171.00 https://www.genosgarage.com/product/...spro-ev2-white
Old 12-25-2016, 10:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like to get a baseline.
Research the strength and weaknesses of the truck. Adress the weaknesses before adding strength...
For instance, my truck is a 07 Quad Cab 4x4 dually, 5.9 and 6 speed trans. Only 40k on the clock, one owner truck. Had it a month or so, not my first diesel but my first foray into the Cummins world.
I have been reading like crazy. I read enough to convince me that fuel filtration needed to be addressed. I dropped a Baldwin FP7977 filter into the stock housing and will be going to a 2 micron filter via the aftermarket soon.

I added gauges. I am old and like real, round gauges with dials. I have a pyrometer, a boost gauge and a fuel pressure gauge to read pressure at the filter.
As far as I am concerned a Pyrometer is critical when driving any of the big three turbo diesels and doing more than commute driving, or when adding power enhancers.

I also read a lot abut my trans, and dumped the ATF 4 out of it and replaced it with a better product, Mobil Delvac 50 Synthetic Trans fluid, which is close to what the trans designer builder spec'd.

I was lucky, my truck came with some service records. If yours didn't the first thing to do is go from the front to the rear and examine, test and change the fluids...from coolant to front Diff, to engine oil and Power Steering, transmission and transfer case, and the rear axle. Get yourself a notebook, a small one, like 5x7, one you can add pages to, and start keeping records. Get a file folder and start putting all your recpts. in it.

Once you get on top of this stuff you have a baseline from where to go forward from.

I just sold a truck I bought new in 1997. The buyer got 3 of those little notebooks and a file folder 3 inches thick with the records and recpt's to back the notebooks up. I got my price from the first gentleman that came to see the truck and drive it. He saw that folder and records and this sealed the deal.
When the time comes that you go to sell this truck that folder will prove to be worth the effort..
The following users liked this post:
Asher (12-26-2016)