3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

What Twin Turbos to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2006, 05:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what about the ATS twins?
Old 02-20-2006, 06:28 PM

Talking

Dont know much about ATS turbos but they have some great trannys. Good info. Keep it up. Im watchin. Gotta get a set of twins.
Old 02-20-2006, 06:55 PM

Ok, your callin' me out

Originally Posted by WUnderwood
what about the ATS twins?
I have the ATS twins. The only reason I haven't posted a thread on this is that I've been having trouble with my TST and wanted to get everything right b-4 I jumped in. Fit and finish: fit was excellent. Everything bolted right up as advertised. The finish on the cold pipes were lacking and I complained to Joel and he made it right and they are now powdercoated and look sweet. This may not make any difference in reality, but I'm not high on where my intake ended up. My AFE w/torq tube fits but you have to turn it down underneath where the ATS metal box used to sit so it may just be in my head bone but I don't feel like it is getting as much air as it probably should be. I took off the black piece of rubber that sits next to the intercooler which lets in more air. I'm waiting on an 80lb gauge for boost as my TST isn't cutting it in the gauge dept for boost. It is suppose to be set at 60lbs boost by ATS,...we'll see. My gauges should be in for it later this week. One extremely noteworthy thing about the set is the cast elbow which houses an internal wastegate. That is an extremely sweet piece. Ck it out on their web site. The set is comprise of their Aurora 2000 and Aurora 5000. The 2000 is a version of the s300 and the 5000 is a modified Detroit turbo. Everything about these two turbos is modified by them and they won't tell you squat about them,....proprietary. Spool up is almost stock-like and if you brake-boost to say 10 or 12lbs,...your gone. Around town driving is very pleasurable and plenty of get up and go. I went with a City Diesel Intercooler. That's a really nice unit. I took the polished aluminum. It will handle more than 7X the boost I can put on it so I don't have to worry about pin holes and then Kaboom!! The stock 4" downpipe bolts right up. What I did was take it to the bottom of the downpipe and then used the 4" to 5" adapter and ran 5" to a 5" in muffler from Allied that is custom built with two 4" outlets for my prior existing duals. No droan or vibration,...good deep sound and you can hear the radio. I'm sure I didn't include something someone is interested in so go ahead and shoot!!
Old 02-20-2006, 07:13 PM
wap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Price on ats twins?
Old 02-20-2006, 07:49 PM

Price on ATS Twins

Originally Posted by wap
Price on ats twins?
Hmmmmm! That's always a good one. Price. What's price really mean? For instance, what is your time worth? What I'm getting at here with this guessing game is I had a set ordered from someone who is being pushed as "the place to get twins",..my quote, not theirs. Anyway,...I ordered a set from a nameless fellow in July and still didn't have them by Mid Jan of the next year. That's what I mean by price,..what's it cost you really. I cancelled with said individual and called ATS on a Wed after 2PM and had them at my installer on Fri morning about 10AM. What's that worth. Well they didn't charge me extra for what I will term outstanding customer service for that split second delivery. Their quoted price is $4879,...everything included including their 3 piece manifold,...just add fire and fuel and air,..Viola!

That a hole $79 more than I was paying the other yahoo that never did deliver. Real service is not understood by all and it does have it's value. I am pleased with my purchase.
Old 02-20-2006, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by wap
AK, is there any way (performance wise) that a SPS 66 would out perform the BD twins? I figure for around twice the price you get another turbo and much faster spool up but was wondering how they perform top end.
I'm no turbo expert, but I would suspect that the SPS66 will not likely out perform any set of twins in spool or top end flow. Twins and singles just have different chemistry going on and really don’t compare. The SPS66 is a great turbo and can make some serious power, but the primary turbo in most if not every set of twins is going to be bigger than the SPS66 and have more flow potential if you can push it, then you still have one more turbo to go. Then you get into the super dense air you get from dual stage compression that no single that our rigs have the ability to spool can match.
Old 02-20-2006, 08:29 PM

Everyone has their opinions on this matter.Me personally, i love the fact i spent $2850.00 and my truck runs the way it does.I hear all this about stock turbos and small housings,I have seen zero problems from my twins and the truck runs very consistent low 12's,tows great,and my egt's rarely go above 1250 degrees.I quit talking about my set up awhile back because evryone was on the piers wagon or was scared of the stock turbo,the artic airs have no problems, i can honestly say this,i have probably fueled mine harder than any of the other sets because of the cp3 i am running.
Old 02-20-2006, 08:40 PM

if a set of BD twins that are for a 94'-02' truck will work on the 03'-up I know where there is a set for $2500, I'm guessing roughly that they have around 3,000 miles on them ( I think that's what I was told ), if anyone is interested PM me & I'll get ya a name & number, Dusty
Old 02-20-2006, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by RCCOX
Everyone has their opinions on this matter.Me personally, i love the fact i spent $2850.00 and my truck runs the way it does.I hear all this about stock turbos and small housings,I have seen zero problems from my twins and the truck runs very consistent low 12's,tows great,and my egt's rarely go above 1250 degrees.I quit talking about my set up awhile back because evryone was on the piers wagon or was scared of the stock turbo,the artic airs have no problems, i can honestly say this,i have probably fueled mine harder than any of the other sets because of the cp3 i am running.
See..its posts like this that man.......just make me wanna bust out that credit card and order these up already!!!

RCCOX, do you beat on your truck (read have a hell of a lot of fun with it)?
Old 02-20-2006, 10:02 PM
wap

RC, thanks for the input, if you are pushin 687 horse out of arctic air twins I am sure they would hold up to all I would need. One more question that may be in you sig is have you re-studded your head?
Old 02-20-2006, 10:37 PM
KBF

Arctic air twins

I also have the relentless twins on my 2005. I have been running them for a while now, and I am 100% satisfied with every aspect. I drive my truck everyday. The twins are durable, reliable, and perform exceptional day in and day out. In addition, they perform at the track. My truck dynoed 600hp, ran 12.75 @107.5mph. RC's truck is also a great example. Chris is very good. He has done everythng to my truck, and he is about to outfit my mega cab. I trust him completely. You can't go wrong.

Hey RC, are you planning on going to the Dyno event in March in Buda?
Old 02-21-2006, 12:32 AM

I just had BD twins installed along with torque conveter and valve body and works awesome pulls hard when you want still gets good mileage
Old 02-21-2006, 05:18 AM

I am planning to go to the dyno event and there is another one in dallas in april.To answer the above question my truck is driven very hard,i have broken some parts,but the twins have been rock solid.
Old 02-21-2006, 10:58 AM

How do the BD twins that I see sold as a kit with their manifold compare to the Arctic Air twins. The price difference is about 1000.00 more for the BD's. Performance difference or any other likes or dislikes? The Arctic Air twins are looking pretty good right about now! Looks like the stocker is holding up pretty good!
Old 02-21-2006, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by OT-OF-Here
I have the ATS twins. The only reason I haven't posted a thread on this is that I've been having trouble with my TST and wanted to get everything right b-4 I jumped in. Fit and finish: fit was excellent. Everything bolted right up as advertised. The finish on the cold pipes were lacking and I complained to Joel and he made it right and they are now powdercoated and look sweet. This may not make any difference in reality, but I'm not high on where my intake ended up. My AFE w/torq tube fits but you have to turn it down underneath where the ATS metal box used to sit so it may just be in my head bone but I don't feel like it is getting as much air as it probably should be. I took off the black piece of rubber that sits next to the intercooler which lets in more air. I'm waiting on an 80lb gauge for boost as my TST isn't cutting it in the gauge dept for boost. It is suppose to be set at 60lbs boost by ATS,...we'll see. My gauges should be in for it later this week. One extremely noteworthy thing about the set is the cast elbow which houses an internal wastegate. That is an extremely sweet piece. Ck it out on their web site. The set is comprise of their Aurora 2000 and Aurora 5000. The 2000 is a version of the s300 and the 5000 is a modified Detroit turbo. Everything about these two turbos is modified by them and they won't tell you squat about them,....proprietary. Spool up is almost stock-like and if you brake-boost to say 10 or 12lbs,...your gone. Around town driving is very pleasurable and plenty of get up and go. I went with a City Diesel Intercooler. That's a really nice unit. I took the polished aluminum. It will handle more than 7X the boost I can put on it so I don't have to worry about pin holes and then Kaboom!! The stock 4" downpipe bolts right up. What I did was take it to the bottom of the downpipe and then used the 4" to 5" adapter and ran 5" to a 5" in muffler from Allied that is custom built with two 4" outlets for my prior existing duals. No droan or vibration,...good deep sound and you can hear the radio. I'm sure I didn't include something someone is interested in so go ahead and shoot!!

you have any pics of your twins installed? or your exhaust? thanks in advance

Quick Reply: What Twin Turbos to buy?