3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

What Twin Turbos to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2006, 08:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What Twin Turbos to buy?

Thats my next step I think. I have looked into the big singles and just dont want any lag at all. I like the look and price of the Arctic Air twins but not sure about the stocker being used in them. The BD twins good for 550 HP look decent, the Piers Street Twins are nice but more expensive. List any others you would like as I am open for suggestions. From expierence what set of twin turbos do you guys recommend for good empty running and towing with the TST box. Thanks
Old 02-19-2006, 09:53 AM
chw

I have the Piers Towing Twins and I am very pleased with them so far. The spool up is about as fast as the stock turbo but makes way more boost,there is no comparison with spool up between the twins and sps66 that turbo would take years to spool.With the 66 I couldnt lite the tires up in 2wd to save my life I would floor it and all it would do was puke smoke out then about 4 seconds later it would lite and by that time you were going to fast, with the twins I can stomp it from a dead stop in 2wd and in about 1.5 sec it will scare you I can lite them up for as long as I please . My cruising egts at 80mph are at like 600 compared to 800 sometimes with sps66 I had on before the twins.
Old 02-19-2006, 11:44 AM
Banned

Olee Poole is the man. You can find him at www.powerbypoole.com
Old 02-19-2006, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by 03CumminZ4X4
Thats my next step I think. I have looked into the big singles and just dont want any lag at all. I like the look and price of the Arctic Air twins but not sure about the stocker being used in them. The BD twins good for 550 HP look decent, the Piers Street Twins are nice but more expensive. List any others you would like as I am open for suggestions. From expierence what set of twin turbos do you guys recommend for good empty running and towing with the TST box. Thanks
I'm in the same boat...wondering about the Artic Air set....seems like we don't have enough info on them because not a lot of people have them, because it keeps the stock turbo, which people fear will break, but we won't really know, because more people won't try them, because we don't have enough info on them One big circle.

The few people that have the set (which don't seem to post very much on the boards) seem to be happy, one thing I have noticed is everyone has good things to say about Chris from Relentless Diesel....that has to mean something.
Old 02-19-2006, 01:54 PM

Hey Ramirez
I was thinking the same about the Arctic Air deal. Hey if the stocker will hold up I am all for using this setup. Just dont want to explode the little HY. I want to do this once and then enjoy my truck...FOR THUSANDS OF TROUBLE FREE MILES!!! Whichever twins I end up going with.
Old 02-19-2006, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by 03CumminZ4X4
Hey Ramirez
I was thinking the same about the Arctic Air deal. Hey if the stocker will hold up I am all for using this setup. Just dont want to explode the little HY. I want to do this once and then enjoy my truck...FOR THUSANDS OF TROUBLE FREE MILES!!! Whichever twins I end up going with.
It will live longer than it did in the stock configuration, By using it in twins you are taking some of the load off of it and still making higher boost. but you still are having it limit max power because of EGT issues, it will stay in its compressor map but you are still dealing with the exhaust restriction it causes.
Old 02-19-2006, 03:23 PM

There are a few setups running the stock turbo as the top. Relentless also has a kit that uses the stock turbo. I also spoke with Harry from Piers and he has a kit on his personal truck that uses the stock turbo. I was told by Relentless that the stock turbo doesnt get worked that hard in a twins setup but that might be wrong Im not an expert by any means this is just what info I was given when I was lookin into twins. Im gettin a really good deal on a 62/14 localy so Im goin to start with that and maybe use it as a top in a twins setup later.
Old 02-20-2006, 12:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think the two things that scare people with the Arctic Air twins are the toughness (or lack there of) of the stock turbo, and that your pushing all of your exhaust gas through the stock turbo's 9cm exhaust housing, which sends drive pressure through the roof. Most people that do their research before buying twins will probably shy away from them for those reasons alone. The price is good though and your right that everyone that runs them likes them.

If you could get Relentless to add an external wastegate to the kit, then send your stock turbo to Piers and have him make a "Nasty Nine" out of it with a thicker shaft and extreme bearings, then you would have a really good set of twins.

My twins are BD Twins. They do pretty good. Spool is very fast.
Old 02-20-2006, 10:46 AM

I guess one of the big questions is how much do you stand to lose if you don't like the Artic Air set. In other words, if you don't like say a Piers set, you know you have xyz turbo and abc turbo and the respective plumbing with which you could potentially put in different turbos.

With the Artic set, are you confined to their setup in the event you don't like one or both of the turbos?

*sigh...I really wish more Artic Air owners would chime in.
Old 02-20-2006, 11:17 AM

Thanks Guys

I hope this topic stays fresh so that we may get more opinions from everyone who has any and all makes of twins. The more info the better. Keep it comming. All info is good info.
Old 02-20-2006, 11:34 AM

I knew someone here was running the Relentless twins. User RCCOX. He doesn't post much. Here is the last thread he posted in: https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...ad.php?t=85874

You could always send him a PM if he doesn't see this thread and chime in.

Brian
Old 02-20-2006, 12:42 PM

yeah, his are the only posts I've seen with them here...I've seen ONE person talk about getting them installed on TDR, but I'm not a member so I can't see past the first post or PM him an invite to come here. I'm going to PM RCCOX and ask him to come in here.

AK RAM, if you don't mind my asking...how much were your set?
Old 02-20-2006, 02:01 PM

I have had mine for several years now, since before the big price increase, and even back then I got them through a back door deal for around $2,700. At their current retail pricing, I think about $3,900 is the cheapest you can get a set, if that cheap.
Old 02-20-2006, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by AK RAM
I have had mine for several years now, since before the big price increase, and even back then I got them through a back door deal for around $2,700. At their current retail pricing, I think about $3,900 is the cheapest you can get a set, if that cheap.
Holy crap!!! You got a $1200 discount! I don't know...I'm still trying to recover from my transmission purchase...but I REALLY want a set of twins...but I just don't know which set to get.
Old 02-20-2006, 04:27 PM
wap

AK, is there any way (performance wise) that a SPS 66 would out perform the BD twins? I figure for around twice the price you get another turbo and much faster spool up but was wondering how they perform top end.

Quick Reply: What Twin Turbos to buy?