3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

What should be next?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 12:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What should be next?

Stil learning. Worried about blowing it up...but even still. It's fun.

What should I do next considering my setup? Wish I could get my hands on a cheap Smarty that would outperform the BDTD cl. I gotta think there's better bang for the buck though.
Old 06-09-2010, 06:50 PM

Do you have an auto? If so, probably gonna need to upgrade it soon. Also an airdog or fass. Looks like you're at about the same point I am with your build-up. Also, if you were to sell your bully dog, you can get a used smarty for around $500 in the classifieds.
Old 06-10-2010, 07:17 AM

Yeah it's an auto. Truck has 37,300 on her and is still holding ok. I don't romp on it from the start though. I get it moving, then stand on it. Haha...

I was thinking about AirDog actually.

Maybe picking up a Smarty would be a good idea. Then turn around and sell the Outlook. I really like the change on the fly though using my Outlook. I'd keep it for gauges. I don't pillar gauges.
Old 07-09-2010, 02:01 PM

Airdog or FASS is just a stepping stone to supply power to another goodie though right? I'm not going to see performance increase in that alone. What else should I be looking at other then trans upgrades of course.
Old 07-09-2010, 04:03 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Air dog, DIY CP3 mod (II bag of parts or wicked diesel) gauges, tranny upgrades, turbo... for the turbo, I'd look at a stocker of S400... Wish I had instead of this big single.

Just depends on how much $$ you have!
Old 07-09-2010, 04:37 PM

I already have the outlook monitor. I don't need gauges beyond that.

As for the money, it would depend on what I can expect for a return I suppose. I doubt dropping $1500 on a turbo right now is the right thing. There seems to be better things I can do utilizing my stock parts for far less yet. In otherwords is a turbo the best next step. I bet not.

The DIY CP3 mod is interesting. I don't know much about that in comparision to an Airdog or FASS setup. In reading an MP8 seems to be a hot ticket for stacking with my BDTD. 90hp injectors seem common too, but I'd guess that needs more fuel as well.

I guess I just don't know what's best in terms of time & money relative to future steps. For example the effort involved in that CP3 mod compared to Airdog. Would be dumb to put time and effort into that if it won't do much for me now and ultimately in the future I really still need the airdog....or even buying a turbo, but yet I can't really utilize it because I can't add enough fuel to feed it due to limited injectors or fuel supply.

Maybe the better question is, aside from the trans, what would most people do in my seat.
Old 07-09-2010, 05:48 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

What are your goals?

You can get more out of the BD with more fuel. Does that outlook have a rail pressure gauge?

Any programmer is limited by the amount of air and fuel. Wide open, you are going to lack for fuel at the rail with the BD turned up.

If you are not going to go tranny or turbo, I'd look at an aftermarket pump like an AD, or keep the stock filter and just do a raptor. (if you want to keep building, I'd go with the AD) Then the CP3 mod.

An MP8 is a good piece of gear. It was not as effective with my edge as it is with my smarty. Does the BD let you adjust rail pressure?

If you want to do injectors, I'd wait until you were ready to pull the trigger on a turbo, too.

Where do you live? (roughly)
Old 07-09-2010, 07:16 PM

I'm in Michigan.

I really don't have a goal persay. Just want to keep adding power to it. I'm not a sled puller. I don't drag race really. I **DO** tow what I'm sure many people would consider a heavy load. My 41' toy hauler grosses out at 18,000lbs. I'm sure I've been close to that if not over. I can easily see 26,000lbs since I scaled in over 24,000lbs without toys in it one it's maden voyage.

The Outlook reads injection pressures. Not rail pressure specifically though I don't think. I've never seen a lack of pressure running the BDTD wide out with Crazy Larry. Apparently the MP8 stacks really well with BDTD. I'm sure whatever I'll add won't be maximized without additions. That I knew. I will get black smoke if I stand on the BDTD turned up. I assume thats overfueling right? So it needs more air then? No?

I haven't ruled out anything you guys think though.
Old 07-09-2010, 07:47 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

When do you get the smoke? Just when you get on it, then clears up as you increase engine speed/boost, or is is constant?

If constant, you need more turbo.

What are the readings off the 'injection pressure'? If it's 5k-ish at idle, then 24-25k-ish at WOT, then it's rail pressure.

A guy I know that tows a lot has a set of 90 sticks, stocker over s400, CP3 mods, and a built tranny, he says it is a towing machine, and dynoed at 700 hp. No smoke to speak of when towing, great EGT's.
Old 07-09-2010, 08:11 PM

I guess injection pressure is rail pressure then. If I was hurting for fuel I assume a) it wouldn't smoke much ever really, and b) I'd see the rail pressure drop off when standing on it.

I only get the smoke on the Crazy Larry setting of course. It's especially heavy and black if I get on it right from a start. I try to never stand on it though like that due to the trans. Conversely, if I just roll on, I'll get smoke for a while, not nearly has heavy, and not all the way up to 60-70mph I don't think. It definitely clears up some to just a faint light hazz as I go. I don't get smoke while in tow mod with the 5th wheel. Which is a good thing.

For a while I was concerned about EGT's while towing, but between the boost fooler, boost elbow, and manually peddling it to make it kick down on big inclines, I really helped that deaprtment. I'm down several hundred degrees now. (thanks everyone here for that help). I assume this says lack of air then?

When you say stocker over s400 I assume you mean twins. That would be sweet someday, but this is my only daily driver too. I don't want to get silly with it. I can't afford to through a rod or burn it up for a while.