3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

What should a guy look for?running out on 1/4 tank

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 10:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sallyman1
i dont wanna sound dumb but what is bad about dumping fass return fuel into the inlet spout versus the top of the tank?should they of used a aluminum draw straw or a hard non flexible line?
ok buddy. why am i sucking it dry? the rate of return should be sufficient to replenish tanl level?
lol its fisherguy. i understand completely trynto. if he cant figure it out by now maybe he should stick with fishing

I really probably shouldn't get into this.. but it doesn't sound to me like you did understand sallyman1. This will be my only post in this thread, because it seems that you are trying to be confrontational for the sake of being confrontational.
Old 06-15-2009, 12:00 PM

It's okay Tray, I'm sure he got it all along and he was only pretending to be dumb as a fence post...

Good luck Sallyman
Will
Old 06-15-2009, 12:22 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Geesh....some guys ask for help but refuse to listen to what you are telling them.

If the return line is not plumbed to the canister, it flows back into the tank and NOT in to the canister allowing it to drain too low and run out of fuel. Also if they placed the tank on the ground while cutting the draw straw to fit, they will have cut it too short because the tank hangs from both ends allowing the middle to drop from the weight of the fuel. Both are problems caused by the the person doing the install.

Install the thing properly so it can work properly, and your problems are solved.
Old 06-15-2009, 12:58 PM

i dont wanna name the place that did the install, but its in saskatoon saskatchewan
Old 06-15-2009, 01:12 PM

I have had the return line in the canister and in the filler neck...and both ways work fine as long as the pickup tube is installed correctly.
Old 06-15-2009, 02:13 PM

The FASS install should have come with installation instructions, eh?

Maybe you need to get out the instructions and take a look at how it SHOULD have been installed vrs what you have and see that it is installed correctly??? Something BIG could jump out at you if they did not follow the instructions - that something big is on them as well if you find anything.

If you find that it is not installed per the instructions, then it is a simple task to go back to them and ask *** ?????

If it appears to be installed correctly in the overall, then you probably have to get a tad more picky and check that the draw straw/draw tube is installed correctly. IF (note big if ) if the draw straw/pickup tube requires 'cutting to fit' in length as part of the installation, by this time it would make sense that it was cut too short because you run out of fuel at 1/4 tank whick is like 7-1/2 gals or so, that suggests it comes short by 1/4 of the total tank height . . no brainer about being short in that case, they would be responsible.

I believe it would benefit you to do a search regarding the straw/pickup tube installations, many discussions here about what is wrong when you run out of fuel at 1/4 tank AND many fixes to the problem as well. When you find the right scenario that matches your problems, print the fix out for your installer and see to it that it's done right, getting your money's worth. If you find that all has been installed right, per the instructions, then you might have to look at the fixes that people went through to solve their problems and get with that fix.

CD
Old 06-15-2009, 05:03 PM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
he would have saved a crap load of money if he would have just listened to people and read the replies.

Just let him spend more money and maybe then he will start reading what people are saying and listen. one can learn more from just listening than the constant blabbing of the mouth.

Just like my dad said when I was younger, keep your mouth shut, watch, listen and learn. If then you do not understand, then ask questions and don't feel afraid to ask after you have done all of the above because you have tried to understand or figure it out on your own.
Old 06-15-2009, 05:28 PM

You just need to get 2 buddies to help you pull the bed, and check everything yourself. It is really not hard to do as long as you take your time and follow the instructions. Like posted above, I will bet money the draw straw is cut too short. Fill up with 3/4 tank of fuel, pull your bed and open up the fuel tank, and find out where exactly that draw straw ends. That was the main reason I left my tank on and pulled the bed. These fuel tanks FLEX.
Old 06-16-2009, 10:40 PM

http://www.hellmannperformance.com/

Put a fuel sump in. Then you won't have any draw straw or pressure issues, and will have the option of running any size fuel line you choose.
Old 06-17-2009, 09:47 PM

i went to shop again. they dropped tank. i was there. nothing was wrong. they had removed the intank pump like i thought and used one of the factory draw straws. the fass returns to the filler neck. only thing they did was drill holes in the factory canister near the bottom to let more fuel in when low. They charged me $260 for labor to do this. they wanted $500 but i begged for a hour and got them to pay 1/2 under "customer satisfaction"

about the instructions i and they read the instructions. instructions say nothing about factory draw straw etc....mine didnt anyways. mines a fass 95/150
Old 06-17-2009, 11:02 PM

i went to shop again. they dropped tank. i was there. nothing was wrong. they had removed the intank pump like i thought and used one of the factory draw straws. the fass returns to the filler neck. only thing they did was drill holes in the factory canister near the bottom to let more fuel in when low. They charged me $260 for labor to do this. they wanted $500 but i begged for a hour and got them to pay 1/2 under "customer satisfaction"

about the instructions i and they read the instructions. instructions say nothing about factory draw straw etc....mine didnt anyways. mines a fass 95/150

WOW, there is something wrong, the Fass return goes to the filler neck, we've gome through this many times and you said you understood!
You also said many times you didn't think they removed the factory pump.

They had it all apart, why didn't you get them to plumb the FASS return to the canister like I told you?

I have a hunch the fass instructions also don't tell you to draw from the canister? If you draw from the canister, you MUST plumb the return to it as well, if you use a draw straw right into the tank, then you can dump the return to the filer neck.

They also should not have connected a 150 pump to the factory feed from the canister, it's too restrictive for a 150.

Why do you post on here asking for help then totally ignore the advice you're given?

So now you're up to $1950 for the FASS and install and it still doesn't work properly? I can have my tank dropped and back in in 1.5 hours in my garage with hand tools, and a shop wanted to charge you for about 5 hours labour and you paid for 2.5 hours? You know what they say, there's on born every minute!
Old 06-18-2009, 08:54 AM

listen. it was there call. i was in THEIR shop. they ignored me. they said they hooked thousands up like mine. it was on THEIR hoist. only reason I went back there is because "I DONT HAVE A GARAGE" and because for $1700 I thought id go back for "WARRANTY". they told me it would be free if they found something wrong. they didnt.
Old 06-18-2009, 08:56 AM

if you guys can find me the instructions link and post it here id be glad. when i was done at DSG "saskatoon diesel" with my fass they just gave me a owners manual. they didnt leave me the install instructions. Maybe i should goto small claims court.
Old 06-18-2009, 09:07 AM

any1 have the phone number for FASS? i wanna talk to them myself and ask them what they told my dealer. supposedly my DSG dealer phoned fass yesterday and told me that fass said they did everything right. they wouldnt give me fasss number or tech support line.
Old 06-18-2009, 02:16 PM

That shop you went to is just screwing you around, there's no way they've done thousands of installs that way and never had a problem, the fact you're having ¼ tank issues proves there IS a problem. They're incompetent if they don't see that.
Did you try explain to them what I've been saying all along about plumbing the return to the canister?

If you lived here near Vancouver I'd help you out, would take an afternoon and a few beers.

Quick Reply: What should a guy look for?running out on 1/4 tank