3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

At what point does pressure hurt the injectors?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2006, 07:16 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by realsquash
I believe the injector damage is not because of short bursts of high pressure, but sustained high pressure. I think the EZ bumps the pressure up a lot higher during cruise than you would normally see.

Andy
That is correct. The EZ raises the rail pressure all the time (except at idle). So cruising down the highway the pressure is higher, but nowhere near the limit, unless you're at WOT pulling a heavy load. Only at substained WOT will the rail pressure raise beyond what was previously the stock level (max).

BTW, the two trucks I mentioned in this thread earlier run hotshots, so they pull heavy loads everyday.

MikeyB
Old 03-15-2006, 12:04 PM
DTR Advertiser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Flux inejctors have been tested to 39,000 PSI. Short term and short duration. This does not mean you can run 39K and not suffer problems. This does not include the complete injector. Everyone still has stock injector bodies or nozzle holders, no matter whos injector nozzles you have.

I have only tested a 04.5 EZ box for pressure. It is high!!
Even on Level 2. I have not tested the 03-04 box. I have seen and repaired now hundreds of broken or damaged injector bodies/holders that used pressure. The overwhelming number of people who use high pressure settings have damaged holders/bodies.

For what is is worth, last week I got a shot of some injectors that ran behind an Edge Hot Juice. This is the 03-04 version. This version uses pressure, unlike the 04.5 and up engine version. 3 of the 6 injectors had pressure damage to the nozzles and the bodies. These were repairable, but not all are.

I try and discourage high pressure box settings. The stock nozzles crack more frequently, the system components suffer long term damage or both. Low pressure added with duration really works good.

Flux nozzles work great with pressure, but the injector body they mate to becomes the weak link now.

The CR system is akin to us. The more stress we place on ourselves, the faster we break. Meth users get a lot more work done and in a shorter period of time, but they are not there for the long haul. Your truck will drive better and give great seat of the pants results, but the system is taking more abuse than it was designed to do for long periods.

Don~
Old 03-15-2006, 12:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Don. So now I need to decide if I'm going to run on level 2 or 3. Man! It's going to be hard if I have to go back to level 2!!!!

So, how much does it cost to replace the injector bodies? Anyone know?
Old 03-15-2006, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by Dodgezilla
Thanks Don. So now I need to decide if I'm going to run on level 2 or 3. Man! It's going to be hard if I have to go back to level 2!!!!

So, how much does it cost to replace the injector bodies? Anyone know?
Most used sets I have found around $600 a set with tips...

Heck I have 12 injectors at my house justing for modding.
Old 03-15-2006, 07:31 PM

So long as we are on the topic of presure boxes, I have a "Bully Dog Torque Dog" box on my truck and I know it is pure presure but that is all I know abought it. It has 3 settings Stock, 50hp,and 100 hp i balive. I have had it on now for abought 6 months and tipically run around with it either off or on the low setting. I have tryed to do searches on here for it but always come up empty handed. It seems no one is running these boxes at all. I was wondering if there is a good reason for this or if they where just not a hot seller. I have been considering selling it because I dont want to have to tell the wife I need new injectors a year down the road. Does anyone know anything abought this box like how much it raises the presure or anything?? I almost always shut it off when towing because it realy gets the EGTs up beond where I like to see them. I hope I havent done any damage yet.
Old 03-16-2006, 06:52 AM

While We Are Talking Pressure Has Anyone Been Able To Find Out If The Superchips 3805 Is Pure Pressure And If So How Much. I've Tried Emailing Them To No Avail.
Old 03-16-2006, 10:17 AM

Don, im running the EZ on 2 all the time. do these pressures on 2 do damage? i was under the impression the injectors were a little more suitable for pressure on the 600's. any thought's?
Old 03-16-2006, 10:20 AM

what performace boxes that offer a 60hp or so increase are not pressure boxes?

i want to add some hp but don't want to damage the injectors
Old 03-16-2006, 10:44 AM

The Van Aaken C3.2 is a duration box and makes lots of power. You may need to watch your temps though. Lots of duration makes for lots of heat, sometimes... I had no problems with mine until I added the bigger turbo. I still didn't have any problems unless I turned it on high along with the Quad Race on high...
It's a good box......
Old 03-16-2006, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by Dodgezilla
The Van Aaken C3.2 is a duration box and makes lots of power. You may need to watch your temps though. Lots of duration makes for lots of heat, sometimes... I had no problems with mine until I added the bigger turbo. I still didn't have any problems unless I turned it on high along with the Quad Race on high...
It's a good box......

Are U replying to me or just in general? I am ultra confused rite now because my box has both Van Akaan and Bully Dog on it. It looks identical to what the C3.2 does except where the big blank spot on the front is it says Bully Dog Tourque Dog 600. It has the Van Akaan logo and all the same info at the top and everything. My wife bought me the box used and I dont have any of the papers on it. I have always asumed it was a presure only box but if it is a Duration box like the C3.2 then I will feel a little better.

Looks identical to this one except the adition of the bully dog stickers in the big blank spot.
http://www.vanaaken.com/usa/Trucksal...les%20Info.pdf

But claims to be this one that it looks nothing like.
http://www.bullydog.com/shopping/pgm...age_num=1&=SID

HELP!!!!
What the heck do i have??
Old 03-16-2006, 08:42 PM

Don M

So under normal driving conditions with the EZ on level 4 the pressures are higher then normal but still with in safe parameters ? Not until you are towing a heavy load or getting on it for an extened period of time will damage most like happen? Im just tring to determine the best setting. i use my truck everyday and it is running 90% of a 12hr work day. I just cant make myself drop down to level 2 or 3 but i also am not prepared to drop 900 bucks on a different system right now. Its seem from my experiance 04.5's are more prone to having injector faliures and i base this on the amount of them ive repalced and the amount of engine's they haved destroyed that i have also replaced.
Old 03-16-2006, 09:14 PM

Hey DonM, where are our 04.5 and up injectors? Please for the sake of bomb lust and your pocket book, give us some patented DonM black magic science!!
Old 03-17-2006, 04:20 AM

bkrukow, I'm not sure about your box. Call Bully Dog and ask them. Maybe it is just a relabeled VA box...

dodgetech77, I ran my first EZ on level 4 or 5 for a couple years and never had a problem, BUT, when Don M did my injectors he found one of them to be damaged from the pressure. I towed some but not too often so most of my driving was in town...
Old 03-17-2006, 07:37 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by dodgetech77
So under normal driving conditions with the EZ on level 4 the pressures are higher then normal but still with in safe parameters ? Not until you are towing a heavy load or getting on it for an extened period of time will damage most like happen? Im just tring to determine the best setting. i use my truck everyday and it is running 90% of a 12hr work day. I just cant make myself drop down to level 2 or 3 but i also am not prepared to drop 900 bucks on a different system right now. Its seem from my experiance 04.5's are more prone to having injector faliures and i base this on the amount of them ive repalced and the amount of engine's they haved destroyed that i have also replaced.
Level 4 will eventually damage the injectors. Not right away, but over a period of time.
When I bought the EZ I made myself a promise not to exceed level 2. I didn't even play with it. Didn't want to be tempted by the HP demons.
What I'm waiting for now is the Quadzilla timing module. Hopefully when this box comes out it will give me another 20hp or so.

MikeyB
Old 03-17-2006, 08:46 AM

BK, The VanA 3.1 and 3.2 are virtually identical looking. Does your unit have 3.1 or 3.2 on the serial # tag. Maybe buddy that sold your obviously great wife the box just stuck on a Bully Dog sticker that came with one of his other Bully devices (intake, exhaust, etc). Consider yourself lucky VanA boxes are the best at what they do....If they hade a 3.3 that was more adjustable for pressure and durations with timing they would have a great box...but that would be called a TST ks

Quick Reply: At what point does pressure hurt the injectors?