3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

What Mods with a Smarty?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 07:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What Mods with a Smarty?

Sorry for the length...Alright I've read so many of these threads I don't know which way is up anymore. I just started hauling a 10,000 lbs. toyhauler (WD hitch mount), I have no problems with it hauling, I would just like it to be a little easier. Looking to do some upgrading but don't know what to get for the best bang for the buck. Was considering a Banks Power Pack system and just be done with it, problems are not really sure who I trust to put it in, a little expensive, and I've noticed many don't thinks Banks is as good as I though they were. So I start considering the Smarty but I've alway been worried about adjusting the ECM without any other mods. What other mods are necessary to maintain the reliability of stock, an intake, exhaust, intercooler, etc? What brands? At what point do you need to start beefing up the trans?
Old 11-12-2007, 07:17 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You should have no problems towing with the SMARTY set to level 3 without any mods. But I highly recommend gauges (EGT/Boost) before adding any power mods.
If you're easy on the throttle while towing level 5 shouldn't be a problem.

MikeyB
Old 11-12-2007, 07:20 AM

The reason people don't like Banks is just as you said, it's expensive and not a lot of bang for the buck. If you get the Smarty (I've got it and love it) you'll need gauges at a minimum. A free flowing exhaust and intake are good supporting mods allowing lower egt's. Also since you have an auto you'll want to upgrade that with at least a torque converter and valve body. It won't handle the power the Smarty will put out on higher settings. Pulling 10,000lbs you won't be able to set the Smarty on higher settings because your egt's might get too high. If you want to tow on the higher settings you'll need a turbo to keep things cool, preferably twins but it's not neccesary. A 62 or 64 size turbo would be good enough. The 64 may be too big if you don't plan on any other fueling modifications. Hopefully this helps. There is a lot of more knowledgable guys on here than me. They'll probably chime in.
Old 11-12-2007, 07:28 AM

Start simple, get gauges or something like the commander ($400), drop in air filter ($80), replace the muffler ($80) and a smarty ($6xx)....tow on level 1 or 3 and you're good to go, you'll love it....if you get the bug or win the lottery, move on to higher levels with trans work/turbo/.....empty wallet.
Old 11-12-2007, 08:12 AM

If your just looking for a little more power pulling, I would get a Quad XZT 65h.p. tow box and save yourself a bunch of $$$. I picked one up used in the classifieds for $150. Use the money you saved to get a turbo back exhaust to keep things cool. An intake wouldn't hurt either, not to mention the intake/exhaust combo would help your MPG a little. I was really suprised how much power the quad box added. Obviously the smarty has more potential, but if your not going for tons of power, you cant go wrong with quad. Excellent cutomer service too. Hope this is some help!

Jason
Old 11-13-2007, 06:43 AM

Thanks for the responses you have given me more to think about and research. One concern I have is that the Juice with Attitude seems to have some features I like such as...When the module detects transmission slippage, it automatically defuels your vehicle to prevent slippage. Would a Smarty with Commander do the same. I like the Commander a little better since it will give me the trans temp and a few more readings that the Attitude won't. I guess I could go with an Juice with Commander combo but I like that the Smarty is not permanently attached like Juice and ZXT are. But as Jason said money wise the smart thing would be a ZXT with some gauges. Any more suggestions before I start flipping coins?
Old 11-13-2007, 08:03 AM

Make it easy on yourself...start with the xzt and the commander.....and if you want more, add a smarty (stacks well with xzt) and you're good to go!...that'll at least by you some time until the $ investment hurts! :-)
Old 11-13-2007, 05:38 PM

Difference between Box and Programmer

Thought of another question. What is the difference between a box (XZT) and a programmer (Smarty), other than price and the fact that the Smarty can add more HP/TQ. Do they both fool the ECM is the same way?
Old 11-13-2007, 05:50 PM

a box(XZT) just lies to the ECM, a programmer(SMARTY) rewrites the ECM.
A Programmer plugs in under dash and loads a new "tune" in the computer then unplugs.
A box plugs into different sensors and alters the singal going to the computer thus a box always have to be pluggged in under the hood to gain power and a programmer just plug and unplug.
Old 11-13-2007, 06:28 PM

Stacking the Smarty with the XZT (pressure only tune) will give you really high egt's with the stock turbo. I get higher egt's with the XZT and Smarty on #3 than the Smarty on #9 alone. It's great power don't get me wrong, but it definately needs a bigger turbo.
Old 11-13-2007, 06:52 PM

Thinking of going with the smarty on my 04.
Old 11-13-2007, 08:13 PM

Would it be better to stack the Smarty with the XZT or put some injectors in?? Assuming this is on an 06' with tranny and turbo upgrades.
Old 11-13-2007, 08:27 PM

Stacking would be better and cheaper IMO. The stock injectors can go along way in the power department.
Old 11-13-2007, 08:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by t-boe
Stacking would be better and cheaper IMO. The stock injectors can go along way in the power department.
Just not the tranny!!!

T- Twins will cool those egt's for ya!!!
Old 11-13-2007, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by Luvnacumns
Just not the tranny!!!

T- Twins will cool those egt's for ya!!!
Yeah twins would be awesome. It just takes a lot of convincing to get the wife to let me drop $3k on Nathan's twins.

Quick Reply: What Mods with a Smarty?