3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

What kind of Bilstein shocks do the Power Wagon's use?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2006 | 01:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So you're saying to stick with those power wagon ones I found?
Old 07-12-2006 | 01:33 AM

What flavor ice cream do you like best? I personally think Marsha Marsha Marshmellow is as good as it gets. You might hate it. The Power Wagon shock might be EXACTLY what you are looking for, then again, it might not. What I was trying to say is that just because it fits, it doesn't mean you'll like it. Just because a Bilstein shock has a silver finish, doesn't make it any better than a yellow bodied shock. In some cases, the yellow OEM replacement shocks work better than the H5 "aftermarket" replacement shocks. On an RCD kit for instance, Bilstein builds the shocks specifically for an RCD kit. For most customers the RCD / Bilstein shocks work -- but they are custom built for the application. On this style shock you are stuck with the valving, they can't be adjusted or modified. So you either love them, hate them, or just live with them. Keep these in good shape while you test them out... if you don't like them, sell them to someone else and move on. If you end up liking them, rock on!
Old 07-12-2006 | 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by VikingDiesel
I am NOT buying them from a dealer. This guy is selling them off his power wagon that he took off b/c he lifted it and now doesnt need his bilsteins anymore. Does the power wagon sit just as high as our trucks stock?
The power wagon sits 1.8" higher in front, and 1.4" higher in the rear. 0.4" of that is due to the larger diameter tires, so it is lifted 1.4" in the front, and 1.0" in the rear.

I can guarantee you that the Power Wagon shocks are not the same of the aftermarket units. OEMs always spec their own shocks after months of ride and handling development. While the spring rates are lower on the Power Wagon, my own ride analysis was that the shocks made the ride just a tad harsher than a stock 3500 I drove back to back. If you put them on a CTD, I would expect the ride to be about the same as what you have now in the rear, and possible even softer than stock in the front, due to additional the weight of the Cummins.

If it were me, I would test the used PW shocks, rather than buying new ones, in case they didn't work out all that well.

Michael