3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

What kind of Bilstein shocks do the Power Wagon's use?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2006 | 11:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What kind of Bilstein shocks do the Power Wagon's use?

This guy with an 05 Power Wagon lifted his truck and is getting rid of the stock bilteins that the Power Wagon came with it STOCK. So a few questions:

1. Will those Bilsteins work on my truck? I am also getting a 2" leveling kit, will it work when I get the kit or will it pretty much work for the rear?

2. What model Bilsteins are they and will those still ride and be better than the stock shocks I currently have?

How much do you think I should even pay for them?
Old 07-05-2006 | 05:03 AM

Bilsteins

The Power Wagon uses the Bilstein 5100's.
They will work in your truck if you raise the front.
They will not work correctly in the rear unless you raise it 1".
These shocks offer a superior upgrade over the OEM shocks.
If your going for the $200.00 Hockey Pucks dont expect a huge increase in ride quality.

Originally Posted by VikingDiesel
This guy with an 05 Power Wagon lifted his truck and is getting rid of the stock bilteins that the Power Wagon came with it STOCK. So a few questions:

1. Will those Bilsteins work on my truck? I am also getting a 2" leveling kit, will it work when I get the kit or will it pretty much work for the rear?

2. What model Bilsteins are they and will those still ride and be better than the stock shocks I currently have?

How much do you think I should even pay for them?
Old 07-05-2006 | 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by LRPRacer
The Power Wagon uses the Bilstein 5100's.
They will work in your truck if you raise the front.
They will not work correctly in the rear unless you raise it 1".
These shocks offer a superior upgrade over the OEM shocks.
If your going for the $200.00 Hockey Pucks dont expect a huge increase in ride quality.
1. I am getting the 2" leveling kit in the front, will they work then?
2. So that means I need like a 1" block spacer in the rear as well?
3. What are the $200 Hockey pucks?
Old 07-05-2006 | 09:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Coil spring spacers (Hellbent, Tuffcountry and others) are often refered to as hockey pucks... Yes those shocks should be fine, especially at a good price.
Old 07-05-2006 | 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by trik396
Coil spring spacers (Hellbent, Tuffcountry and others) are often refered to as hockey pucks... Yes those shocks should be fine, especially at a good price.
when he said $200, is what confused me. They go for about $80.

recap:

Get the 2" leveling kit in the front and the Power Wahon shocks will be great and better than stock?

Now for the rear, do I have to add a 1" block in the rear? If so, what and where do I buy this 1" rear block from?
Old 07-05-2006 | 07:50 PM

Anyone know? Also, the guy is selling them for $150 for all (4). Had 5k miles on them or I can buy news for $300. I really can care less about if its new or used considering its a wear/tear item anyways and 5k miles is low.
Old 07-05-2006 | 08:16 PM

Sounds like a good deal to me...
Old 07-05-2006 | 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by trik396
Sounds like a good deal to me...
can you just answer these (2) questions?

1.When I get the 2" leveling kit in the front will the Power Wagon shocks will be great and better than stock?

2. Now for the rear, do I have to add a 1" block in the rear? If so, what and where do I buy this 1" rear block from?
Old 07-06-2006 | 04:28 PM

Hey...I have a 004.5 2500 with the Bilstein 5100 series on it. I raised the front the 2in. The rear is stock height. Bilstein lists the 5100 rear shock for the 3Gen truck with 0-3 lift (0 meaning stock ). No problems with 15k on them.
Old 07-06-2006 | 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by mjf6175
Hey...I have a 004.5 2500 with the Bilstein 5100 series on it. I raised the front the 2in. The rear is stock height. Bilstein lists the 5100 rear shock for the 3Gen truck with 0-3 lift (0 meaning stock ). No problems with 15k on them.
so you're telling me if I get the Power Wagon shocks, I can leave the rear stock and just add the 2" leveling? Does that mean the power wagon truck is comes higher then out stock 2500's?
Old 07-08-2006 | 09:32 AM

I dont know what specfic 5100 Bilstein the Power Wagon is using from the factory. And why even buy the 5100's from the dealer? You will get a way better deal going thru a vendor. Do a seach here and you will find many posts that list the part numbers for the 5100 Bilstein, I dont have the numbers handy. Bilstein rates their own 5100 for the 3Gen at 0-3 loft for the rear, I put them on the truck and have no problems, love them. The power wagon probably also uses them since the rear of that model falls within the 0-3 range and are a better shock than the normal factory ones.
Old 07-08-2006 | 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by mjf6175
I dont know what specfic 5100 Bilstein the Power Wagon is using from the factory. And why even buy the 5100's from the dealer? You will get a way better deal going thru a vendor. Do a seach here and you will find many posts that list the part numbers for the 5100 Bilstein, I dont have the numbers handy. Bilstein rates their own 5100 for the 3Gen at 0-3 loft for the rear, I put them on the truck and have no problems, love them. The power wagon probably also uses them since the rear of that model falls within the 0-3 range and are a better shock than the normal factory ones.
I am NOT buying them from a dealer. This guy is selling them off his power wagon that he took off b/c he lifted it and now doesnt need his bilsteins anymore. Does the power wagon sit just as high as our trucks stock?
Old 07-08-2006 | 05:10 PM

Viking...sorry I cant answer about how high the PW sits compared to our trucks. I havent been up close and personal with one to tell the truth. I cant see them being any higher than ours. I doubt the stock PW is more than 3in higher (if higher at all) than regular HD 3gens. Possible you can drive your truck along side a PW and look at the bumpers on both? Just a thought. I think you would be fine with the PW Bilsteins. If it where me I would go for them, especially if you are getting a good deal.
Old 07-12-2006 | 12:52 AM

Why is it that the Bilteins 5100 on the Power Wagon are the UGLY yellow and blue:

While the Bilstiens 5100 you buy aftermarket are nice and stainless with a black boot:

Old 07-12-2006 | 01:07 AM

Yellow and Blue is the vehicle OEM and Bilstein OEM replacement standard for Bilstein. Bilstein (usually) uses a code at the end of their shocks to designate the color. If you see H0 as the last two of the part number, it'll have a yellow body. If you see H5, it'll have the silver body (zinc plated).

In most cases the OEM shock is more or less built specifically for the vehicle it is being installed on. In most cases, the aftermarket H5 series Bilstein shocks are generic and fit a wide range of vehicles. As long as the mounts are correct, and the length is close enough on the extended and collapsed lengths, the 5100 series Bilstein can be installed. That doesn't mean the more fancy looking Bilstein 5100 (or 5125 as it's also called) Silver body shock will provide any sort of performance benefit. The shock might have originally been valved for a totally different, or as is almost always the case, generic application. Just because it says Bilstein on the shock doesn't mean your truck will ride better. Here's an example:

The Bilstein BE5-6249-H5 is a super popular part number. It's almost always the first part number to go on backorder with Bilstein. The 6249' has got a loop/bushing on both ends. It's a 12" travel shock and fits the rear of a wide range of stock and lifted trucks. Dodge, Ford, Chevrolet, Nissan, etc. The valving on this shock is 255/70, pretty much the most generic valving in the entire Bilstein 5100 (5125) series. For some Ram owners this valving is way too light on the rebound side. For others it's too high on the compression side to achieve that squishy Cadillac street ride some want. In most cases the OEM Bilstein shocks will perform better for the majority of owners but they aren't willing to run a yellow shock. So they go for what looks cool and in doing so, give up the performance benefit of a vehicle specific shock. Not always, but that's more and more frequently becoming the norm. Forget performance, it's all about the BLING BLING YO!

Quick Reply: What kind of Bilstein shocks do the Power Wagon's use?