3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

What are killers of injectors?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 05:25 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
None that I know of!

Chalk it up to the miracle of Home School education...

or, as some would say: a mis-spent youth.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:11 AM
madhat's monkey boy...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My brain hurts now Thanks
I am going to get the dictionary out and try to interpret all of that after I have a few beers. It all makes sense then
Old 09-19-2007, 12:26 AM

about anything aftermarket you run can trash injectors. I was worried about running a pressure box for a while and my truck runs like poop without one. so I run it occasionally. not all the time all day just for short bursts. Ive heard of every box out there tearing up injectors. so I agree with stay away from pressure boxes but they arent they only ones that can do it. tst boxes have ate injectors long before they ever had rail pressure on them
Old 09-19-2007, 01:13 AM

It's important to remember that extended use of high pressure in the rail (common with downloaders) can shorten injector life as much as short- but even higher - pressure spikes (typical fueling box behavior).

In other words, towing with 20Kpsi+ in the rail for hours on the interstate can be just as tough on injectors as the stoplight wars when the rail sensor pegs at 27.5Kpsi every time you get past quarter-throttle... and you know the needle would keep swinging if the sensor could read that high!
Old 09-19-2007, 08:14 PM
Banned

Yeh, we play, we pay.All that is relatively true,but some things will kill injectors w/out any mods.like metal for example-is 18,000 psi any different than 25,000 psi when metal is going thru your injectors?Oh well we play,we pay.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:28 PM

Indeed, although metal - as a high temperature plastic, is certainly less damaging to high-pressure fluid medium throughput orifices (such as injector tips) than mineral-based impurities which retain their abrasive qualities down to the granular level.

Really, though - fuel is like water.
If you ever saw all the other stuff in there - you wouldn't want to drink it either!
Old 09-19-2007, 10:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by XLR8R
Indeed, although metal - as a high temperature plastic, is certainly less damaging to high-pressure fluid medium throughput orifices (such as injector tips) than mineral-based impurities which retain their abrasive qualities down to the granular level.

Really, though - fuel is like water.
If you ever saw all the other stuff in there - you wouldn't want to drink it either!
Deep stuff!!

My question is : How does the metal(high temp plastic ) lose its abrasive qualities when it is'nt heated until after it is thru the injector?
Old 09-19-2007, 10:59 PM

Basically, any abrasive qualities a metal possesses aren't significantly affected by the temperature range associated with their normal use.

However, metals generally exhibit plasticity even at room temperature - that's why we can cold-form them.

Of course, so much depends on the hardness of the metal impurities in question... a healthy fingernail is higher on the Rockwell scale than virgin lead, and some alloys will scratch zirconia facets.
Old 09-20-2007, 08:21 AM
Banned

That is true.My testing does prove that the hardness and abrasive qualities of metals do not vary , because the same metals are in the oil via rings(blow-by) With that being stated,there is also signs of piston,ring,cylinder wear thru oil analysis.Oil by-pass systems is another topic though.(diff. thread)
Old 09-23-2007, 05:52 PM
Banned

Smile

Originally Posted by XLR8R
Basically, any abrasive qualities a metal possesses aren't significantly affected by the temperature range associated with their normal use.

However, metals generally exhibit plasticity even at room temperature - that's why we can cold-form them.

Of course, so much depends on the hardness of the metal impurities in question... a healthy fingernail is higher on the Rockwell scale than virgin lead, and some alloys will scratch zirconia facets.

Can you help me understand? I do like to be educated!
Old 09-23-2007, 10:35 PM

Sure - which part?
Old 09-23-2007, 10:41 PM
Banned

Can metal or plasticity do injector and/or engine damage?
Old 09-23-2007, 11:06 PM

Metal is a substance and plasticity is an adjective used to describe the malleability of a substance.

In the broadest terms, metal tends to deform (plasticity) under pressure, because it is relatively soft - while rock tends to crack (frangibility) under pressure, because it is relatively brittle.

Generally speaking, the molecular bonds along the crystal faces of minerals are much weaker than the intergranular molecular bonds among the crystalline grain structure of an alloy.

Back to the topic at hand, any material sufficiently hard, under sufficient pressure and given sufficient time, is capable of eroding another, softer material.
Old 09-23-2007, 11:50 PM
Banned

OK.I think you like use applicable termanology and you enjoy it,but is the answer yes or no? Also think about the topic header!
Old 09-24-2007, 12:24 AM
Banned

As XLR8R stated and the way I understand it any material sufficiently hard, under sufficient pressure and given sufficient time, is capable of eroding another, softer material.
This leads me to think yes.

Quick Reply: What are killers of injectors?