3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

What gauges are needed??

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 12:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What gauges are needed??

Hey I'm from second gen land and am looking at getting an (calif) 04.5 or 05 HO truck 4x4 with a nv 5600 tranny and would like to know what gauges are recommended to get for these trucks. Obviously i'm thinking boost and pyro already but what about fuel pressure or rail pressure??

On my 24v the fuel pressure was a big issue and anything below 8 was in the danger zone of running the VP44 low on much needed lubricating and cooling fuel. Is the CP3 similar in that aspect or can it run dry and be ok? What psi does the stock in tank pump put out and what are the acceptable ranges for it??

Also are there any other things that need to be monitored? Rail pressure would be kind of cool but not sure what it would be able to be of use for considering its a $250 dipricol gauge. . . What gauges do most of you all have?
Thanks in advance!
TNutcher
Old 04-11-2008, 08:58 AM

pyro and boost for sure......I love fuel pressure gauges..all tho they are not quiet as important as the FP on a second gen it is still really nice to know if you do or dont have lift pump pressure.
I feel the same way about the rail psi..it's not a must but it would be a great diagnosing tool.....
if you dont want to spend big bucks on a rail gauge Quadzillia makes a less expensive rail gauge.....
Old 04-11-2008, 09:06 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have pyro, boost, fuel pressure, all Isspro, and a Quad rail gauge. If you plan on some extra power or just keeping an eye on your lift pump, fuel pressure would be good! The CP3 isn't as picky about fuel pressure as the VPs are, they actually create anough suction to pull the fuel itself. Duramaxes use a CP3 like us, pretty similar, but I know some duramaxes didn't have lift pumps, just the CP3.
Old 04-11-2008, 09:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would say that pyro, boost and tranny temp for autos are the must haves, the others are good to have. I have ISSPRO pyro, boost, fp and diprocol rp.

Gauges are good, more are better, all about your preferences.

CD
Old 04-11-2008, 10:08 AM

So it sounds like most do have a fuel pressure gauge. I was planning on a pyro and a boost gauge for sure but not sure about the other two. I have a few other questions.

What range of pressure does the stock lift pump put out? And what is typically an acceptable operating range of pressure?? I like the f/p gauge on my truck now not only for psi to the pump but it also lets me know when i should change the filter if the reading slows down.

The rail pressure gauge from dipricol seems really nice and it sounds easy to hook up but I had heard things about it not being accurate when you add a downloader or performance chip because it reads off the stock sensors and when certain chips up the HP, they must fool the computer so it doesn't throw a high rail pressure code. Is this a problem or true? Also I heard that connecting them the way they are designed to leads to a slow response time?? Is that noticable by those that have this gauge??
Thanks again,
TNutcher
Old 04-11-2008, 10:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I put my fuel pressure gauge on because of all the discussions about the CR's being drained down easily, I had concerns about damaging my pump if I was under a load that COULD drain it down. Then, there was a ton of discussion about how fuel pressure was not the real test point to performance, that volume was the true measurement regarding use/fuel demands. Lots of discussion regarding all that here too. I kept getting a code that was more related to the volume/pressure in the rail, so I then decided to put in the RP gauge to see what was up with the code I was getting. At the time I put in the RP gauge, Dipricol had just come out with them, in fact I got one of the first ones. The gauge has performed flawlessly, has worked fine with a Quad Std performance box, I have no info about any of the other downloaders/performance boxes. If the reponse time is slow, you certainly could no prove that by my observations, the linearity of the gauge and response is immediate.

I chose to go with analog gauges rather than the electronic. I live in a climate that gets pretty cold plus high altitude, both of those can affect electronic circuits dramatically, where analog seems not to be affected.

CD