3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

What does it take to run 13.0s

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 07:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seems like the opinions are all over the place. Some say a fully built tranny is a must and others had a TC, turbo and Crazy Larry. Like I said, I will not be going to the strip to run the dodge often and I surely will not be doing 20psi launches. I currently have 31k miles and would like it to last much longer. I realize that 13.0s are out of reach for my budget but would like to do some of the upgrades that have been mentioned. Hopefully with a TC,VB, billet input shaft and flexplate the trans will hold just fine for what I am doing. Thanks so much for the advice and help. Any other opinions are greatly appreciated. Oh and now I guess I will be looking for turbo, TC/VB and injector recommendations. Thanks again.
Old 03-09-2007, 08:37 AM
Banned

Built tranny helps but you can get by with just the basic tranny upgrades: trpl disc conv, valve body, and probably only 2 shafts and flex plate. With a Tst box, and a triple dog my friend ran a 13.73 @ 101 in his new 06 sngl cab 4wd with stock tranny however he did make a $5 dollar upgrade to it LOL, stk inj, stk turbo, and stk fuel system. Ya his tranny will most definetly burn up with more upgrades or a couple more passes with those upgrades but it holds for now and just goes to show you that with a little knowhow it can be done with minor upgrades.
Old 03-09-2007, 08:50 AM

The setup Marianne at HTS had on her 05 last year would work. She didnt have a full billet trans but it tc/vb input, scary larry, pressure box, intake and exhaust and it ran low 13s-13 flat all summer long.

If you could get your hands on the true scary larry it would save you a ton of cash.

You could easily get there with that combo...
Old 03-09-2007, 08:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got into the high 12s with stock injectors and cp3.
Old 03-09-2007, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by RamWheelsBy4
I don't think $3.500 will do it for just those upgrades, at least not the parts I have.
Here's a quote from about a month ago:

Torque Converter: $1,295
Valve Body: $475
Flex Plate: $475
Input Shaft/Hub: $650
Intermediate Shaft: $650 (optional if not drag racing)
Output Shaft: $650 (optional if not drag racing)
Installation (Goerend): $500

That's $3,395 installed if you leave out the 2 optional items.
Old 03-09-2007, 10:49 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you are doing boosted launches, a billet output is a "must have"
Old 03-09-2007, 11:03 AM

He wants to get in the 13's. He didn't say he wants to do it every Friday and Saturday night at the races. A $7k transmission is not needed in this case and neither are boosted launches.
Old 03-09-2007, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by Lark
Here's a quote from about a month ago:

Torque Converter: $1,295
Valve Body: $475
Flex Plate: $475
Input Shaft/Hub: $650
Intermediate Shaft: $650 (optional if not drag racing)
Output Shaft: $650 (optional if not drag racing)
Installation (Goerend): $500

That's $3,395 installed if you leave out the 2 optional items.
You are correct for that level upgrades and for what he says he wants that should be fine. But 13.0s ETs would take its toll on that level pretty quick I think.

I did indend to be at the track a lot and use hard boost launches so I have all billet shafts and upgraded clutch packs, coated custom machined pieces, modified VB kit, etc. My parts list was around $5,500 I think and the like pieces were in the same range as above. But it was built to not be the weak link in the drive train.

I do need boosted launches to get in the 13s. Maybe some don't but my configuration needs the boosted launch for 60' times necessary to run in the 13s. Need around 15psi launch to get low 13s and 20+psi for the high 12s.
Old 03-09-2007, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by Mcmopar
If you are doing boosted launches, a billet output is a "must have"
The output is the LAST shaft you would want to replace with billet. The input and the intermediate will do other damage if broken and also cannot be replaced without removal and disassembly of the tranny. The output doesn't hurt anything else if it goes and can be changed without dropping the tranny.
Old 03-09-2007, 02:46 PM
DTR Advertiser

Originally Posted by CTDjoey
I can cover everything but the 7k for a built tranny. Excuse my ignorance but I didnt think 13s was that difficult for a modded diesel. I thought getting 12s and under was where the big bucks started. My budget is 7500 for parts and installation.

To just dip into the 13s 400-425hp would do it. At that horsepower a valvebody and torque converter upgrade for your application would most likely do it. Sure a full tranny is better, but as long as you dont launch the truck higher than about 10psi of boost you should be fine. Now to get well into the 13s looking for 12s would definately push you out of your budget. If you have any questions feel free to give me a call.
Old 03-09-2007, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by omaharam
The output is the LAST shaft you would want to replace with billet. The input and the intermediate will do other damage if broken and also cannot be replaced without removal and disassembly of the tranny. The output doesn't hurt anything else if it goes and can be changed without dropping the tranny.
I disagree, the intermediate generally doesn't break, the output WILL break at the dragstrip!!! It is not a matter of if, but when. Ask Mike D, or john P, they will attest!!
Old 03-09-2007, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by kantdrive55
To just dip into the 13s 400-425hp would do it. At that horsepower a valvebody and torque converter upgrade for your application would most likely do it. Sure a full tranny is better, but as long as you dont launch the truck higher than about 10psi of boost you should be fine. Now to get well into the 13s looking for 12s would definately push you out of your budget. If you have any questions feel free to give me a call.
400hp into the 13s with a max 10psi launch - on what planet? I don't think it's gonna happen below 475 and that's even iffy.

I also think he CAN get well into the 13s within his budget. I have just over $6500 and hope to dyno at 625hp or so next weekend. If I had that $7k tranny that would put me in the 12s, but with a conservative launch I should still be low to mid 13s.

There are so many guys constantly changing parts, there is usually a good deal out there on used. Don't spend $1700 on a turbo when you can find one for $1000 - $1200. Don't spend $685 on a SMARTY when I've seen them for $550, and so on. Your budget will allow you to make some serious power, if you research every decision before you take any of our word for it. There are a lot of guys on here with a lot of good information, but I haven't taken any one of them at face value. I look as deep as I can before I decide. I spent two months researching tranny stuff before I bought anything.
Old 03-09-2007, 03:18 PM

Yep, I broke my stock output on a 10 pound launch.
Old 03-09-2007, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Mcmopar
I disagree, the intermediate generally doesn't break, the output WILL break at the dragstrip!!! It is not a matter of if, but when. Ask Mike D, or john P, they will attest!!
Depends on how much power you're runnin. The intermediate WILL break with enough power, just like anything else. The point is, if you're going to leave a weak link in a built tranny, it should be where it does the least damage and is easiest to fix. New output - $650. New input - $3650 because you just fragged the whole tranny.
Old 03-09-2007, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by omaharam
Depends on how much power you're runnin. The intermediate WILL break with enough power, just like anything else. The point is, if you're going to leave a weak link in a built tranny, it should be where it does the least damage and is easiest to fix. New output - $650. New input - $3650 because you just fragged the whole tranny.
You have a very good point, I do not disagree, but at the 450 HP mark the intermediate "usually" is fine, the output, no way. I guess my line of thinking is at 450 do the output and you can drive it home from the track. To be honest, the output deaths that I have seen or know about were usually guys with big power towing really heavy.

Quick Reply: What does it take to run 13.0s