3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

What to do first TQ or VB

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2006, 08:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What to do first TQ or VB

I am needing to pick one upgrade at a time to better my tranny. I have the Edge J/A and my TQ is slipping.
I am going to be upgrading my tranny with a better TC and VB, but what one should I do first that will help last until I can get the other?
Old 02-11-2006, 09:46 AM

take the money for your mod and put it away. then save up enough for the other mod and get them both at the same time. I was going to get just the TC & VB but now I am getting the entire tranny. Putting a TC & VB is just putting a bandaid on the problem. If you want it completely fixed and done right then I would go with the full tranny. I did alot of research before coming to this conclustion. aslo if you look at cost, $1500 (about) for a TC & VB. Or $3500 for a new tranny that will last alot longer in the long run. its double the cost but will also last as long as your truck will last. I wouldnt want to pay for a TC & VB just to replace other parts in my tranny 50,000-100,000 miles after.
Old 02-11-2006, 11:15 AM

I`m going to just do my valve body on mine for now to increase pressure to the stock tranny. And the VB can be done without pulling the trans.
Old 02-11-2006, 11:30 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do the VB first and get the line pressures up a bit to save your TC and clutches. You then replace the TC later with a tighter converter in either single disk or triple disk.

Is the TC slipping or is th extra power just aggravating the sloppy TC? As long as you don't have a consistent shudder when the TC locks up you should be OK for a bit. If you are getting a lockup shudder you had better do the TC first before you fill the trans with clutch material.

Unless you are going to push the limits the 48RE will do quite well with a TC/VB combo. Admittedly the whole trans route is the best but is not neccessary all the time.
Old 02-11-2006, 01:34 PM

Yeah the TC is just slipping when the juice is truned on past 3. It is starting to slip on level 2 when under a load.
I'm not going to be doing much if anymore performance upgrades. I am happy with the Juice and its about all I need.
Old 02-11-2006, 01:45 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by dencordle
I am happy with the Juice and its about all I need.
Famous last words......
Old 02-11-2006, 09:02 PM

I had the same delima. I done both at the same time and tore into tranny to check it out. The torrignton bearing space in overdrive unit had a lot of wear du to the torque conver shuddering. I think if I had to do one or the other at the time I would do valvebody. The added pressure allows the torque converter to lock and unlock faster. Line pressure is what hold the converter in the unlocked mode. But better valvebody allows the pressure to release and apply quicker. When you do the torque converter take tranny apart and replace rear bearing and maybe the front clutch pack(high gear). This takes the most abuse because the forward clutches are already applied when the high gear clutch applies and with stock valvebody it's asking alot of the transmission. Other than breaking parts I'm told these are the main problems. I regret not putting the flex plate and input shaft in mine when I had it out. Right now I only run the TST on 4/4 because on 5/5 the egt falls I suspect I need an aftermarket lift pump but the truck on has 13,000 miles on it.
Old 02-12-2006, 05:38 AM

The VB costs a lot less then the TC. I guess it's all in how much you want to spend right now. I bought both at the same time but was a bit intimidated when I started looking at that big transfer case. I ended up doing the VB myself which made a world of difference in the shifting of the trans. Awesome! About two weeks later I had Timinva install the converter. He ripped my trans apart (30,000 miles on it) and my "crappy" 47re looked like brand new inside even after running my EZ on levels 4 and 5 since the truck was almost new. Adding the converter actually softened my shifts up a bit but the truck stalled lower and the mileage went up 1 mpg. I'd say do both at the same time too or if you think you will want more in the future then save up for the whole trans. I'm getting my full trans built in a couple of weeks so I am having to shell out the labor $$$ for the second time. I really didn't have the $$$ so I did what I had to. If you don't plan on bigtime BOMBing, them the VB/TC will work fine for you........

None of us planned on going to the extremes that we have on our trucks. When I brought my truck home I promised my wife I was going to leave it stock........
Old 02-12-2006, 09:15 AM

So if I go ahead and put a Valve body in will it take some of the slip out of my stock converter? at least until I can get a new one.
Old 02-12-2006, 11:40 AM

It will give you higher pressures which "should" lock everything up a little tighter. I guess it will depend on how far gone the converter is....