3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

what is the difference between ts performance shift enhancer and DTT shift enhaser?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 05:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by no_6_oh_no
Little bit of misinformation there.

The DTT piece does not increase line pressure, none of them do. The only way to increase line pressure is change springs on the PR valve.

Both boxes modify the sigal sent to the TV motor that controls the TV pressure. The stock program that controls the TV pressure is designed to run off the APPS position and when you remove TQ management you remove APPS signal which fouls up the shifting due to low TV pressure. The units tell the TV motor to set more pressure and fool the ECU into thinking the readings are within its parameters.

Think of it this way, DTT and TS have given us back an adustable TV pressure like the cable that used to be there.
So your saying it doesn't raise peak line pressure, just brings line pressure up at lower throttle settings.
Old 04-09-2008, 09:02 PM

does the DTT box also raise the mph of the 1-2, 2-3, 3-od shifts, like the TS does ? (thx WHite97GT for the review !)
Old 04-09-2008, 11:16 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by pwr2tow
So your saying it doesn't raise peak line pressure, just brings line pressure up at lower throttle settings.
Thats the end result but not what is being influenced. Line pressure highs and lows are set but the pressure relief valve and TV pressure. A simplified explanation is as TV pressure rises it forces the line pressure up by reducing the return flow from the pump. The pump is easily capable of 100+ psi at 1500 rpms so just dumping the flow back to the pan will reduce pressures.

The shift modifiers cut into the TV motor control wire that sets the TV position like adjusting the cable used to do. They modify the amount of advance based on the APPS position to ramp the TV pressure faster with less APPS movement. The combination of higher TV pressures in relationship to the governor pressure is what gets rid of the shuttle shift. Even with a shift kit governor pressure stays relatively close to stock but the TV and line pressures are raised. This has the same effect and gets rid of the shuttling. Line pressure can stay the same or fluctuate and it won't effect the shuttling.

The positive side of the advanced TV pressure is a slightly advanced line pressure ramp which leads to better shifts and less shifting. However, the TV advance these boxes give is enough to help with shuttle but it is definitely not enough to stop slipping from stock pressures and extra power or hard use. They just don't effect line pressure enough because the whole interplay is a bit more complicated than what I have explained and it is not a direct relationship.
Old 04-09-2008, 11:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dzltrqcrzy
does the DTT box also raise the mph of the 1-2, 2-3, 3-od shifts, like the TS does ? (thx WHite97GT for the review !)
Yes, the different settings will raise the 1-2 and 2-3 shift points for better tuning. Neither effect the 3-4 shift as it is computer controlled and based on a set of paramters that have nothing to do with the TV pressure. The 3-4 shift point may change but only as the result of holding a gear longer/shorter, not from direct control.
Old 04-10-2008, 08:26 AM

little confused but which shift box is the better bang for the buck then?
Old 04-10-2008, 05:19 PM

They both do the same thing, any differences are going to be in each boxes own programming. All they do is make the tranny think you are giving it more throttle than you actually are.
Old 04-10-2008, 05:49 PM

If they are plug and play where do they plug in at?
Old 11-04-2008, 08:56 PM

bump
bump
Old 11-04-2008, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by 450r
bump
bump
What for?
What for?
Old 11-05-2008, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by pwr2tow
If they are plug and play where do they plug in at?

I think my question. It was the last one and not answered.
Old 11-05-2008, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by DirtEater
What for?
What for?
Reading the thread it looks like for . . .

1.Where do they Plug in?

2.Which one is more bang for the buck? Which one is less?
Old 11-06-2008, 07:34 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by CrashCade
Reading the thread it looks like for . . .

1.Where do they Plug in?

2.Which one is more bang for the buck? Which one is less?
Both units require you to cut one wire on the transmission control harness and wire to their harness. The units controll the TV motor so they need to take over functions. Easy to install and take out if needed.

I have the DTT piece and it has been flawless in operation and works with no changes. The DTT piece can be reprogrammed for different trans builds so it is a bit more flexible. Price is comparable.

Make your choice.
Old 11-07-2008, 11:53 PM

yeah it is not a direct plug and play proposition, it does take a little work to install it. Not too bad though, I spent a little mroe time and effort and soldered and heatshrinked all the wires together, some just use butt splices.

BTW I have the DTT, and the main reason I bought that one is I had Goerends stuff put in the tranny and these were preprogrammed for Daves stuff.

Outside of that, I think it is kinda like a Coke or Pepsi Question.
Old 11-08-2008, 08:42 PM

My 1-2 and 2-3-2 were present on the stock transmission w/ smarty, present with my first aftermarket valve body, and then solved entirely by a valve body from dave. Why use a controller to make changes that can be performed with hard parts, when we all end up doing tranny mods sooner or later anyway?

Ben
Old 11-09-2008, 12:02 AM

Benito how much did the valve body run you? If you don
t wanna share on here pm me I am trying to figure all the options i have on trying to fix the shift problem with my trans